Grado Fan Club!
Aug 24, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #8,881 of 66,034
Thanks for that! It's interesting to me that the RS1 doesn't give you that same vibe-but hey, pleasure is pleasure.  I'm not going to argue with anyone who references Angus Young. When I was in Middle School 100 years  ago-I listened to nothing but AC/DC for a couple of years. Then, when I went to their For Those About to Rock tour concert, I thought I'd reached the RAWK gates of heaven.

I have ever so slightly broadened my musical tastes in the last 30 years....but I always remember where I come from....musically speaking.

Grados were a logical outgrowth to a lifetime of loud, aggressive music. Oh, and Miles Davis sounds just as good
L3000.gif

Aug 24, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #8,882 of 66,034
Quote:
Fellow Grado Fans: if you get a chance to demo the Woo Audio WA7 amp/dac with your high end Grados, check it out. I have had one since May and have listened to nothing else since it arrived. I'm using RS1, PS500 and Q701 phones. I was really reluctant to invest $1000 but wanted to upgrade, and now I can't believe they can sell this one for that price! It is basically a handmade (USA) hybrid tube amp with a really good built in 32 bit dac and separate power supply (also high quality). Build quality is off the charts amazing-ditto the SQ. There are several threads on head-fi devoted to the WA7. My setup: iMac>hi-rez files>Pure Music>WA7. It can drive just about anything. Sorry about the grainy photo:

That WA7 looks amazing, I have always liked the way Woo Audio equipment looks.  I'm seriously thinking of buying a WA6 on looks alone.  lol

Aug 24, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #8,883 of 66,034
well i'll be !
got my e10 and e09k sold in just a couple of hours, my msii+ and explorer haven't even drawn any interest
and they've been for sale a couple of days

Aug 24, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #8,885 of 66,034
Quote:
That was a good price with the e10 and e09k, I figured it would go fast.

yeah, me too, i THOUGHT i had a good price on the other two lol
i;ve gotten my money's worth out of the fiio's was time for them to make somebody else happy

Aug 24, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #8,886 of 66,034
Quote:
yeah, me too, i THOUGHT i had a good price on the other two lol
i;ve gotten my money's worth out of the fiio's was time for them to make somebody else happy

I can't see letting got of my E10. 
Too darn handy to have, especially for a quick boost out of a computer.    It's one impressive and small piece of kit!

When you sell your Lyr, be sure to let me know 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 24, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #8,887 of 66,034
Quote:
I can't see letting got of my E10. 
Too darn handy to have, especially for a quick boost out of a computer.    It's one impressive and small piece of kit!

When you sell your Lyr, be sure to let me know 
tongue_smile.gif

the little dot will go first !! i might could do a "bundle" with the little dot and the explorer , make the price irresistable

Aug 24, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #8,888 of 66,034
Quote:
Okay, I am completely at a loss...my GS1ks have completely taken their game to another level after the break-in period. I'm thinking maybe the big difference is the DAC, cause when I first got this Meier piece I was using mainly my T1s and PS500s...maybe I'm just now realizing how much of an improvement there is with the GS1ks with the better gear. 

I'm blown away by how good these sound all of a sudden...this is very odd, but exciting! 

I'll just reiterate what I said earlier...if anyone decides to audition these things, give them some good ancillary gear. These aren't nearly as good as the other Grados out of a headphone jack or whatever....these seem to really need quality gear upstream to shine. 

Am I the only one who is experiencing this with these forgotten woodies? Stacker? You out there? 

Yeah, i'm here buddy, to be honest i'm not surprised that the GS1000i are starting to grow on you, that says to me that even though you love your PS500, you kept an open mind regarding the GS1Ki, and gave them a fair shake.

Aside from the SR125i, the GS1Ki are probably the least popular Grado model, i guess people go staight to the PS1K, it wasn't my case, since i bought mine GS1K in 2006. When the ''i'' model came out, i compared them to mine, and the only thing i preffered on the old one was that they had a wider soundstage, and since i like to listen to concerts on DVD, i decided to hang on to them.

It's too bad that they're always seem to be in the shadow of the RS1i and PS1000, because i think that they offer a pretty good price vs performance ratio, and you are right Focker, when you say that they benifit quite a bit when they're paired with good upstream equipement.

And last but not least, i think that the GS1Ki are THE most comfortable Grado headphones, wich makes them ideal for long listening sessions.

As the phrase says in one of George Lucas's Indiana Jones movies, ''you have chosen wisely''.

Aug 24, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #8,889 of 66,034
Quote:
*snip

Aside from the SR125i, the GS1Ki are probably the least popular Grado model, i guess people go staight to the PS1K, it wasn't my case, since i bought mine GS1K in 2006. When the ''i'' model came out, i compared them to mine, and the only thing i preffered on the old one was that they had a wider soundstage, and since i like to listen to concerts on DVD, i decided to hang on to them.

*snip

Ha! don't forget the Rs2, it certainly falls into that Jan Brady category!
size]

Aug 25, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #8,890 of 66,034
might be making a PS1000 review soon.... its a headphone that i feel really lacks presence on the forums and is widely misunderstood, even i have trouble understanding it.

also seems like these are extremely sensitive with how you place them on your head, right now i made the adjustment a little smaller, so they're a little tighter, borderline uncomfortable, but the highs really tame down alot just depending on how the cups/pads are positioned on your head. 

Aug 25, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #8,891 of 66,034
Quote:
Ha! don't forget the Rs2, it certainly falls into that Jan Brady category!
size]

Jan Brady! that's an funny way of putting it, and yes, you're right about the RS2i, i would say that they come right after the SR125i and GS1Ki as the least taklked about Grado.  

Aug 25, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #8,892 of 66,034
the reason I (personally) choose the Rs2 is that the op mentioned he was buying more headphones and only wanted one Grado. In this case, I believe, you would be looking for something very specific from said headphone to complement your other headphones.

Yes, that is the idea. I am building a collection and want variety to begin with. No IEM's or buds, I do not like those at all. Over or On Ear.

The 80i seems the reasonable choice to see if I like the line and then decide from there, though I wouldn't mind buying the 325i's and not liking them.

Aug 25, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #8,893 of 66,034
When I was in Middle School 100 years  ago-I listened to nothing but AC/DC for a couple of years. Then, when I went to their For Those About to Rock tour concert, I thought I'd reached the RAWK gates of heaven.

I saw them summer of '78 opening for UFO with Bon Scott. Sadly, they did not cover ANY material from HTH, they were promoting the live lp...they destroyed UFO completely.

Aug 25, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #8,894 of 66,034
Quote:
Fellow Grado Fans: if you get a chance to demo the Woo Audio WA7 amp/dac with your high end Grados, check it out. I have had one since May and have listened to nothing else since it arrived. I'm using RS1, PS500 and Q701 phones. I was really reluctant to invest $1000 but wanted to upgrade, and now I can't believe they can sell this one for that price! It is basically a handmade (USA) hybrid tube amp with a really good built in 32 bit dac and separate power supply (also high quality). Build quality is off the charts amazing-ditto the SQ. There are several threads on head-fi devoted to the WA7. My setup: iMac>hi-rez files>Pure Music>WA7. It can drive just about anything. Sorry about the grainy photo:

I tried and compared RS1i, MSpro, PS500, RS2, SR325is on the WA7 last month. The fireflies is a quite neutral-ish sounding amp/dac, which can reveal characters of any headphones. To me, RS1i put a bit emphasis on treble and bass, which sounds a bit annoying; The bass on PS500 with the 7 was simply too prominent and boomy, the SR325is sounds bright and "cheap" next to its big brothers. Among these phones, I would say MSpro and RS2i sound more plesant with the amp/dac combo.

Aug 25, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #8,895 of 66,034
I think Grados in general benefit from a slightly warm-ish amp and/or DAC. unless you are a person who enjoys a lot of treble or like Scott posted a while ago, keep the volume on the lower side.

listening to Lullabies to Paralyze on vinyl with my MKIII and RS1 this morning and it sounds incredible. big grin on my face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back