Grado Fan Club!
Aug 23, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #8,866 of 66,022
Yesterday i listened to Fleetwwod Mac's Live in Cleveland vinyl, it's an original pressing that was recorded in 1980, i played it on my Technics SL-1200MK2/Ortofon 2M Black, and used   my PS1000, and my new Little Dot 1+, and i'm still amazed by how good it sounded.

I could hear détails that i'd never heard before with my X-Can V2, also, the sound seemed more organic, and spacious, if that makes any sense, the high point for me was Lindsay Buckingham's guitar solo in, I'm So Afraid, i got so into it, that after the song was over, i felt like lighting up, and i don't even smoke
eek.gif
, this was pure sex.

I have noticed that they're are not that many songs that get me this level of involvement, but with the right song, on the right system, at the right time, magic can definately happend.

I don't care what your setup is, and how much it costs, as far as i'm concerned, if it gets you this much enjoyment, you know you've done things right, we all take different path, but our destination is the same.

I hope i didn't bore anyone, i just felt like sharing the joy
smile.gif

Aug 23, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #8,867 of 66,022
Quote:
Yesterday i listened to Fleetwwod Mac's Live in Cleveland vinyl, it's an original pressing that was recorded in 1980, i played it on my Technics SL-1200MK2/Ortofon 2M Black, and used   my PS1000, and my new Little Dot 1+, and i'm still amazed by how good it sounded.

I could hear détails that i'd never heard before with my X-Can V2, also, the sound seemed more organic, and spacious, if that makes any sense, the high point for me was Lindsay Buckingham's guitar solo in, I'm So Afraid, i got so into it, that after the song was over, i felt like lighting up, and i don't even smoke
eek.gif
, this was pure sex.

I have noticed that they're are not that many songs that get me this level of involvement, but with the right song, on the right system, at the right time, magic can definately happend.

I don't care what your setup is, and how much it costs, as far as i'm concerned, if it gets you this much enjoyment, you know you've done things right, we all take different path, but our destination is the same.

smile.gif

and i thought i was the only one that happened to !! lol
not boring at all
when the allmans brother's hit those certain magical jams, they called it hitting the note ! those cosmic tumblers tumble and hit in the right spot, BOOM !

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #8,868 of 66,022
Quote:

Well I got my 225 when I was 47, so I guess I inadvertently followed the correct protocols. Phew! I don't want to be sent to audiophile detention.

However, I'd be tempted to jump into some RS1i's. That's probably over 30 or anyone who is willing to spend over $500 for a HP. And, you'll notice I'm using a very large font size as I'm being considerate of all those bifocals 
triportsad.gif

No problem!  I wear progressive lenses 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 24, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #8,869 of 66,022
Quote:

The RS2i definitely represents better value. It's $200 less than the RS1i. The RS1i sounds fantastic, but it does cost a pretty penny compared to the RS2/PS500/SRwhatever.

That all said, I don't plan on selling my RS1i's anytime in the foreseeable future!

There are two reasons why the RS1 is worth the extra $200.
1. RS1 has larger cups than the RS2= bigger sound.
2. RS1 has metal gimbals. The only plastic are the rod blocks and the cups are so light that the blocks actually work.
I would buy the RS1 over the RS2 or PS500 every time - though a PS500 or HF-2 is a great compliment.
IMO the RS1 remains the classic John Grado can. The PS and GS are great too, but I just think it makes sense to own the RS1 first. 

Aug 24, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #8,870 of 66,022
Quote:
Just curious to as why you are saying to go for it and just get the RS1, if you are saying "I choose the RS2 to represent the Grado family"? 
Did you not prefer the RS1?
BTW I;ve never heard either the RS1/2

Rs1 is the better headphone, more well rounded, suited for more different music.

Edit:
the reason I (personally) choose the Rs2 is that the op mentioned he was buying more headphones and only wanted one Grado.
In this case, I believe, you would be looking for something very specific from said headphone to complement your other headphones.

The Rs2 has the best from the prestige series Grados and takes it further by achieving better looks, better comfort, the sound also matures, is more refined and has beautiful timbre. The Rs1 takes that even further, but loses some of the fun/enjoyment I get out of the Rs2 due to it being more balanced throughout the frequencies.

Another edit:
btw, I kept both the Rs1 and Rs2 because I couldn't make up my damn mind, and don't want to live without one or the other.
size]

Quote:
if you want only one headphone to capture the Grado sound, to me, the Rs2 is preferable.

EDIT:
the usual recommendation (if you've never tried Grados before) would be to get a pair of sr60's or sr80's (cheap) and see if you like the Grado sound, the fit, hell, even the look!
if you do, and have the money then just buy the Rs1 and be done with it.

the only reason I scratched out the Rs2 is because you will always wonder about the Rs1 if you only go as far as the Rs2. In that case, just go for the Rs1.
With that said, I have owned the sr60,sr125,sr225,rs2,rs1,ps500. If I would keep only one of them to represent what I look for in a Grado and had several other high end cans, I choose the Rs2 to represent the Grado family!
size]

the Rs1 is more of a TOTL Headphone and is more balanced than the Rs2. The Rs2 is pure Grado kick you in the balls jewels goodness. it is not trying to be a good headphone and please everyone like the Rs1.
The Rs1 is the one you take to meet your family/parents, the Rs2 is the "other woman"!
size]

Aug 24, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #8,871 of 66,022
Quote:

eek.gif
, this was pure sex.

smile.gif

Didn't bore me in the slightest...I just gotta figure out how long it's going to take me to clean up all this drool! 

Aug 24, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #8,872 of 66,022
Quote:
I've got three days left on my audition with the RS1i but I just rang the dealer and told him I'd be in on Monday with my credit card.  The RS1i are staying at my house. :)

I think you will find they they will get tons of head time.....congrats, and very nice choice imo.

Aug 24, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #8,873 of 66,022
Quote:

eek.gif
, this was pure sex.

smile.gif

Glad you shared this.

I use a pretty simple method of judging the sound I like.....no graphs or tech specs for me....everybodys ears hear different.

For me it is just what ever puts a smile on my face....some cans do and some don't.

There are many albums that I listen too that do this for me with my RS1i......things like hearing an artist pick the strings of his guitar.....little things like this that I do not hear with my other cans puts a smile on my face and it can even make the hair on my arms stand on end.....so yea....I know exactly what you mean.

Grado's are a damn fun HP for me.

Aug 24, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #8,874 of 66,022
Quote:

Rs1 is the better headphone, more well rounded, suited for more different music.

Edit:
the reason I (personally) choose the Rs2 is that the op mentioned he was buying more headphones and only wanted one Grado.
In this case, I believe, you would be looking for something very specific from said headphone to complement your other headphones.

The Rs2 has the best from the prestige series Grados and takes it further by achieving better looks, better comfort, the sound also matures, is more refined and has beautiful timbre. The Rs1 takes that even further, but loses some of the fun/enjoyment I get out of the Rs2 due to it being more balanced throughout the frequencies.

Another edit:
btw, I kept both the Rs1 and Rs2 because I couldn't make up my damn mind, and don't want to live without one or the other.
size]

the Rs1 is more of a TOTL Headphone and is more balanced than the Rs2. The Rs2 is pure Grado kick you in the balls jewels goodness. it is not trying to be a good headphone and please everyone like the Rs1.
The Rs1 is the one you take to meet your family/parents, the Rs2 is the "other woman"!
size]

Wait-are you saying the RS2 is more fun and it's what you get the most enjoyment from?

That's what I've thought about my 225. Sounded like a clear step up from the 60 and even 80-but sounded good unamped from an Ipod with a decent recording. Except for the fact that you need an adaptor for an mp3 player or cell phone, just plug and play no fuss. Great with anything from punk to acoustic music and everything in between.

But, the big thing is that I think they are just fun to listen to. Not as technically-WOW-factor as some of the more high end HPs you'll see at a meet, but just enjoyable and fun particularly with my rock centric musical tastes.

Would my comments characterize your feelings between the Rs 1 and 2? I alwys thought the RS1 were the holy grail for rock in particular in the series.

Aug 24, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #8,875 of 66,022
Quote:
Wait-are you saying the RS2 is more fun and it's what you get the most enjoyment from?

That's what I've thought about my 225. Sounded like a clear step up from the 60 and even 80-but sounded good unamped from an Ipod with a decent recording. Except for the fact that you need an adaptor for an mp3 player or cell phone, just plug and play no fuss. Great with anything from punk to acoustic music and everything in between.

But, the big thing is that I think they are just fun to listen to. Not as technically-WOW-factor as some of the more high end HPs you'll see at a meet, but just enjoyable and fun particularly with my rock centric musical tastes.

Would my comments characterize your feelings between the Rs 1 and 2? I alwys thought the RS1 were the holy grail for rock in particular in the series.

that's exactly what I'm saying!!!

ok here's my Grado journey:

early in my Head-fi journey I bought an Sr125 and an Sr225i at the same time. I prefered the Sr225i so I sold the 125's. I soon got rid of my 225i's because they were uncomfortable and I was itching to try other headphones.

About a year passes (and many headphones and iems too), and I see a good deal on an Sr225i. I buy them because something in the back of my mind is bothering me and I need to give them another audition. I received the headphones and once again, I am convinced Grados are not worth it because of comfort issues and sell them.

Fast forward 1-2 months later and I see a Grado Rs2 for a good price. I'm always willing to take a chance on a headphone if it's at a good price because the worst thing that could happen is if I don't like them, I'll sell them and take a minimum hit to the wallet at worse.

Anyhow, I get the Rs2 and I'm not convinced at all. These sound like a glorified sr225 to me, not impressed! I put them up for sale, and give them one last session before selling them....

Like many sessions, I am at the computer browsing online, and not doing any critical listening whatsoever...

I start getting distracted by the music... my foot's tapping, my head's bobbing ...I start air drumming! ...I start air guitaring!!!  What!!!!?? THESE ARE ****ING AWESOME!!! 

Never had a headphone/iem done this for me, not like this. I take them off the FS thread till further testing is done. Surely, it must be a fluke. Maybe it was just that one time that everything came together and I was really in the mood to jam out?

A few weeks pass, and I am like a pig in mud. My true love for Grado's begins.
size]

I was so happy with the Rs2, I got rid of my LCD2 and others. The Rs2 are so light, so comfortable, and the sound is right up my alley! weeee!(pig squeal
size]
)

with all this said though, I have never used the Rs2 as my one main headphone. It has always been in a supporting role. For me it is something  to be truly cherished. It is a guilty pleasure that I've always used in moderation for some reason or another.

The Rs1 almost ruined the Rs2 for me. It is truly a better all around headphone, but I enjoy it in a different way. I get more use out of the rs1, but every now and then when I do take out the Rs2's, every single time, even if I am not focusing on the music, it gets me!
tap tap tap ...my foot starts tapping!   my head starts rocking like I'm freaking Angus Young!  AIR GUITAR!! AIR DRUMS!!!  I AM A MAN POSSESSED!!!! weeeeee!(pig in mud reference
size]
)

These are old pictures, I use TTVJ flats on my Rs1 and Rs2.

Aug 24, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #8,876 of 66,022
Quote:
that's exactly what I'm saying!!!

with all this said though, I have never used the Rs2 as my one main headphone. It has always been in a supporting role. For me it is something  to be truly cherished. It is a guilty pleasure that I've always used in moderation for some reason or another.

What is your main headphone or phones other than the Rs2?

I have similar experience with the 225i's.  They are my go-to can though.  I find I rarely even take my HE-5LE's out of the box anymore, unless I'm listening to extremely well-mastered material, and the Grado's show their limitations.

Aug 24, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #8,877 of 66,022
Quote:
What is your main headphone or phones other than the Rs2?

I have similar experience with the 225i's.  They are my go-to can though.  I find I rarely even take my HE-5LE's out of the box anymore, unless I'm listening to extremely well-mastered material, and the Grado's show their limitations.

I just got a pair of Mad dogs 3.2 and I been using these mostly due to the much needed isolation (at home) and them being a new toy.
size]

At work, mostly Jh13's.

Another thing I forgot to mention. I find the Rs2 don't need amping. The Rs1 however, really do benefit from a good amp!

Aug 24, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #8,878 of 66,022
Quote:
I just got a pair of Mad dogs 3.2 and I been using these mostly due to the much needed isolation (at home) and them being a new toy.
size]

At work, mostly Jh13's.

Another thing I forgot to mention. I find the Rs2 don't need amping. The Rs1 however, really do benefit from a good amp!

Interesting.  I'll have the Alpha dogs on hand in about a month.  I just hope I have time to actually listen to them

Aug 24, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #8,879 of 66,022
Fellow Grado Fans: if you get a chance to demo the Woo Audio WA7 amp/dac with your high end Grados, check it out. I have had one since May and have listened to nothing else since it arrived. I'm using RS1, PS500 and Q701 phones. I was really reluctant to invest $1000 but wanted to upgrade, and now I can't believe they can sell this one for that price! It is basically a handmade (USA) hybrid tube amp with a really good built in 32 bit dac and separate power supply (also high quality). Build quality is off the charts amazing-ditto the SQ. There are several threads on head-fi devoted to the WA7. My setup: iMac>hi-rez files>Pure Music>WA7. It can drive just about anything. Sorry about the grainy photo:

Aug 24, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #8,880 of 66,022
Okay, I am completely at a loss...my GS1ks have completely taken their game to another level after the break-in period. I'm thinking maybe the big difference is the DAC, cause when I first got this Meier piece I was using mainly my T1s and PS500s...maybe I'm just now realizing how much of an improvement there is with the GS1ks with the better gear. 

I'm blown away by how good these sound all of a sudden...this is very odd, but exciting! 

I'll just reiterate what I said earlier...if anyone decides to audition these things, give them some good ancillary gear. These aren't nearly as good as the other Grados out of a headphone jack or whatever....these seem to really need quality gear upstream to shine. 

Am I the only one who is experiencing this with these forgotten woodies? Stacker? You out there? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back