Grado Fan Club!
Aug 26, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #8,926 of 65,970
i bought the [COLOR=8B4513]rs2i[/COLOR] 4 month ago
ive had the sr60 for 8 years
the bass [COLOR=696969](quality)[/COLOR] is amazing on the [COLOR=8B4513]rs2i[/COLOR] but i wanted some more [COLOR=696969](quantity)[/COLOR]
and the sound in the highs was a little too thin or airy 
and im always a-b-ing and retrying the different pads
but lately ive being really impress with the sound i can get out of using the g-cush in reverse
anyone else using the g-cush in reverse ?
How do you reverse a G Cush?

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #8,927 of 65,970
Quote:
Interestingly, I'm also looking at getting a Littledot I+ to split off the Daccord for the Grados - I've been thinking about getting a small tube amp for a while but as they couldn't drive the LCD-2's I never got around to it.

Now I have an excuse :p How do you like the Little Dot?

Nice! I highly recommend it! The best compliment I can pay the LD is to say that even though Grados are my favorite headphones, and I have the means to do so if I wanted to, I have no intention of upgrading from my LD I+. The only possible exception would be if I jumped up into the PS1ks, but as of right now that won't happen anytime soon. 

When I upgraded to the Meier stack, I found that as much as I like the Classic, the Daccord was clearly the more significant upgrade over what I had (AudioEngine D1 DAC). Now that those dual Wolfson chips and the crossfeed filter are on board, the LD has seriously been given the tools it needs to really shine. It sounded really good before I upgraded, but it pairs really well with this DAC. It takes all those incredible details and dynamics it receives from the Daccord and adds a touch of warmth and body to the overall presentation. 

I'm certainly not saying it's the greatest Grado amp on earth, but I feel pretty confident that I'd have to spend a LOT more to better it, and it'll be my Grado amp for the foreseeable future. And if I ever did upgrade, I still wouldn't sell it :)  

I also have to say that I really like supporting David at Little Dot, cause the guy is a class act and his customer service is exceptional. 

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #8,928 of 65,970
i've been away for a while, just got home and pulled out the 80i's to rip one of my favorite albums ever (tool - aenima)

i have to say, i'm continually impressed with how much detail these cheap "low end" cans are putting out, and the guitar tone just gets better every track.  i'm becoming quite the Grado fan!

Aug 26, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #8,929 of 65,970
Quote:

Nice! I highly recommend it! The best compliment I can pay the LD is to say that even though Grados are my favorite headphones, and I have the means to do so if I wanted to, I have no intention of upgrading from my LD I+. The only possible exception would be if I jumped up into the PS1ks, but as of right now that won't happen anytime soon. 

When I upgraded to the Meier stack, I found that as much as I like the Classic, the Daccord was clearly the more significant upgrade over what I had (AudioEngine D1 DAC). Now that those dual Wolfson chips and the crossfeed filter are on board, the LD has seriously been given the tools it needs to really shine. It sounded really good before I upgraded, but it pairs really well with this DAC. It takes all those incredible details and dynamics it receives from the Daccord and adds a touch of warmth and body to the overall presentation. 

I'm certainly not saying it's the greatest Grado amp on earth, but I feel pretty confident that I'd have to spend a LOT more to better it, and it'll be my Grado amp for the foreseeable future. And if I ever did upgrade, I still wouldn't sell it :)  

I also have to say that I really like supporting David at Little Dot, cause the guy is a class act and his customer service is exceptional. 

I feel that the Classic just presents what the Daccord spits out in a very straight, smooth way, it doesn't enhance or detract at all from it's source so it isn't immediately apparent how good it is (and it is really good at clean amplification)

I'm also a big fan of the crossfeed filter and I don't think I could go without it.

I'll probably pick up a Little Dot in the next few weeks - any tube recommendations?

Aug 26, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #8,930 of 65,970
Quote:

I feel that the Classic just presents what the Daccord spits out in a very straight, smooth way, it doesn't enhance or detract at all from it's source so it isn't immediately apparent how good it is.

I'm also a big fan of the crossfeed filter and I don't think I could go without it.

I'll probably pick up a Little Dot in the next few weeks - any tube recommendations?

Totally agree. I also came from a Corda Jazz, which is a very underrated amp...so the jump up to the Classic wasn't ever going to be a huge difference. And yeah, I couldn't be w/out the crossfeed filter either. 

I've only used some Telefunkens since day 1, mainly because I have a tube guy who has re-tubed hundreds of LD amps and I trust his suggestions...but there is a dedicated LD I+ tube rolling thread around here somewhere...you may want to touch base there and see what everyone is liking and not liking. There's also a lot of people who have been op amp rolling on it, as well...I haven't gotten that far yet, but it's nice to know the option is there. 

Here ya go...I had it bookmarked: http://www.head-fi.org/t/364043/little-dot-i-tube-rolling

Aug 26, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #8,931 of 65,970
Quote:

Totally agree. I also came from a Corda Jazz, which is a very underrated amp...so the jump up to the Classic wasn't ever going to be a huge difference. And yeah, I couldn't be w/out the crossfeed filter either. 

I've only used some Telefunkens since day 1, mainly because I have a tube guy who has re-tubed hundreds of LD amps and I trust his suggestions...but there is a dedicated LD I+ tube rolling thread around here somewhere...you may want to touch base there and see what everyone is liking and not liking. There's also a lot of people who have been op amp rolling on it, as well...I haven't gotten that far yet, but it's nice to know the option is there. 

Here ya go...I had it bookmarked: http://www.head-fi.org/t/364043/little-dot-i-tube-rolling

Whelp, going to take the plunge I guess. Just need to decide if I want the stock one or an 'upgraded' one

Aug 26, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #8,932 of 65,970
Quote:
How do you reverse a G Cush?

I'm assuming that you would just push the opening over the wooden cup, but with the ear pad flipped.  Though, I'm not sure if I would personally like the process because then it would go back to being on on-ear as opposed to an over the ear and resting on the head situation.  And, my guess is that one would really look silly with the cups curved in that manner.  The sound might just be similar to the L-Cush due to the pad resting on the ear again.

For those discussing the Little Dot 1, it is quite a great little amp.  I do have major regrets in selling mine off.  I used it in combination with the Music Streamer II.  The combination was just beautiful and the MS II worked in asynchronous mode. 

My previous, lovely LD I that I had owned.

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #8,933 of 65,970
Quote:
Interestingly, I'm also looking at getting a Littledot I+ to split off the Daccord for the Grados - I've been thinking about getting a small tube amp for a while but as they couldn't drive the LCD-2's I never got around to it.

Now I have an excuse :p How do you like the Little Dot?

I just purchased my RS1is today (after a week's audition) and I pair them with my Little Dot I+... I think it's an excellent combination.

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #8,934 of 65,970
Quote:

I feel that the Classic just presents what the Daccord spits out in a very straight, smooth way, it doesn't enhance or detract at all from it's source so it isn't immediately apparent how good it is (and it is really good at clean amplification)

You might also want to check out the more general Little Dot tube rolling thread, because the driver tubes are the same for all Little Dot models.  There's a lot of very good information in this long thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide

Aug 26, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #8,935 of 65,970
Speaking of tube amps, has anyone tried the Aune T1 with Grado yet?  If so, what were the results in doing so?  The Aune T1 also has a built-in DAC.  There are members who have used it with the HifiMan HE-400 with quite good results.

Aug 26, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #8,936 of 65,970
Quote:
You might also want to check out the more general Little Dot tube rolling thread, because the driver tubes are the same for all Little Dot models.  There's a lot of very good information in this long thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide

Thanks, I've been reading through that thread over the past hour or so :)

I'm also considering a DIY option... What am I doing to myself haha

Aug 26, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #8,937 of 65,970
Quote:
Thanks, I've been reading through that thread over the past hour or so :)

I'm also considering a DIY option... What am I doing to myself haha

oh it gets worse !! but its so much fun !

Aug 26, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #8,938 of 65,970
Quote:
Speaking of tube amps, has anyone tried the Aune T1 with Grado yet?  If so, what were the results in doing so?  The Aune T1 also has a built-in DAC.  There are members who have used it with the HifiMan HE-400 with quite good results.

i came very close to getting the t1, one of the reasons i ended up not getting it, is the tube isn't in the amp section,its just in the dac section
also, someone who had it, said it could sound a little bright at times, but aune is another one of those chinese companies that builds great stuff
for the price it seems

Aug 26, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #8,939 of 65,970
i had the listening to the ps500's with the g cushes exclusively since day 1, after the first hour or two anyway,
yesterday, because the g cushes sometimes mess with the way my glasses fit, sit i decided to put the L's
on for a while. the last time i had them on was before i had the lyr.
i think now, with the lyr, i like the l's better than the g's, or at least as much.
the mid bass is greatly improved with lyr, its tight, there's still a little warmth a little emphasis ,
but in a good way. and now it sounds more "grado" in giving up the extra "space" the
intimate sound, feeling is back, will keep then on a few more days to see if what i'm hearing now hangs around long term

Aug 26, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #8,940 of 65,970
Man, I've got to have the G-Cush for the soundstage and comfort but I don't wear glasses to listen.
biggrin.gif

Edit:  BTW, my DacIT sounds dreamy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back