Grado Fan Club!
Aug 14, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #8,581 of 65,841
Aug 14, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #8,582 of 65,841
Still not too impressed with ps1000s,,.. Im starting to accept the fact that the RS1i really are grados true flagship (besides maybe the hp1000 which are unobtainium)

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #8,583 of 65,841
I went thru 2 pairs of PS1000s but sold off both of them (1 recabled)  after 10 years of being pleased with my RS1s for what they are.
I just couldn't take the sometimes out-of-control bass or highs. I think they can be improved because they have a nice "big" sound, and I hope Grado is working on that for a future version.
I still have the RS1s, along with GS1000i phones that I like.

Aug 14, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #8,585 of 65,841
Just got a FiiO  E10 for my iGrado's.  Man, this thing is small!

So far, it is a perfect amplifier.  I judge them on a subtractive basis: if they alter soundstage, then it's distortion.  If it makes my cans sound better, they were either underpowered, or it's adding distortion.  If I can play at LOW volume and still get into the sound, it's perfect.

So far, the E10 is doing quite well.

Aug 14, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #8,586 of 65,841
Just got a FiiO  E10 for my iGrado's.  Man, this thing is small!

So far, it is a perfect amplifier.  I judge them on a subtractive basis: if they alter soundstage, then it's distortion.  If it makes my cans sound better, they were either underpowered, or it's adding distortion.  If I can play at LOW volume and still get into the sound, it's perfect.

So far, the E10 is doing quite well.

i like the E10 a lot. I have an E17 as well and I like that too.

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #8,587 of 65,841
Hello everyone.. im a new user and a new owner of grado 225i. i have with them for about 3 months and im in love because im a guitarrist and this headphones are just perfect for my taste of music (gypsyjazz, blues, rock, funk, ska and even reggae sound awesome. i Bought also the yellow flat pads to replace the hurtful L cushions so they are not that bright and improve a little the bass.

im wondering if this headphones improves with an amp. i heard that little dot i+ is really good, but im a newbie and im learning what is best and whats not about headphones in general 

the other question is about the DAC. i have an asus D1 on my PC but im not sure if upgrading it could increase the quality of the grado. and which DAC is a good combo for the 225i for 200 or less money.

thanks alot in advance guys i've been reading alot this thread and the forums in general but today  i decided to join the comunity. to share my experience and learn from the comunity.. and sorry bout my ugly english im from Venezuela.

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #8,588 of 65,841
Quote:
anyone every try the PS1000 with L-cush pads?

yes. Not recommended. bass, in particular, is out of control - it’s tuned for the farther distance from your ears you get with G cush.

I also tried the PS1000 with flats just for fun. HA! Obviously not deigned for them. it sounded bloated and muddy with the super thin flat pads.

Aug 14, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #8,589 of 65,841
Quote:
Hello everyone.. im a new user and a new owner of grado 225i. i have with them for about 3 months and im in love because im a guitarrist and this headphones are just perfect for my taste of music (gypsyjazz, blues, rock, funk, ska and even reggae sound awesome. i Bought also the yellow flat pads to replace the hurtful L cushions so they are not that bright and improve a little the bass.

im wondering if this headphones improves with an amp. i heard that little dot i+ is really good, but im a newbie and im learning what is best and whats not about headphones in general 

the other question is about the DAC. i have an asus D1 on my PC but im not sure if upgrading it could increase the quality of the grado. and which DAC is a good combo for the 225i for 200 or less money.

thanks alot in advance guys i've been reading alot this thread and the forums in general but today  i decided to join the comunity. to share my experience and learn from the comunity.. and sorry bout my ugly english im from Venezuela.

Welcome to Head-Fi, I have the LD1+ and run them with the SR325is and also the 80i's and I also have the Schiit Magni/Modi combo (amp/dac), they are both very nice amplifiers for the Grado's as far as I'm concerned, especially for the price!
I don't know about your DAC, but I do like the Modi DAC with either the LD1+ or the Magni.

Aug 14, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #8,590 of 65,841
Congrats to you!, here is some metal album for you to enjoy :beerchug:

Definitely check out Alice In Chains album (SAP), really cool, mostly acoustic, guitars and vocals, there are 5 tracks on the album, 4 of them are 10+, you will definitely enjoy the sound from your 60i's. Congratulations on your win!

you should listen to whatever you think of when you want to crank it up and put the pedal to the metal. IMO, your 60 will sound great and be FUN with any of your aggressive music. Incidentally, it will also sound good with acoustic music and jazz. The only thing I don't think it sounds great with is large symphonic works where you might want something that is technically more proficient with a larger soundstage. But from your post, it doesn't sound like you're listening to a lot of opera
tongue_smile.gif

I'm an aging rock and metal dude. I listen to a 225 which is just a little further up the food chain. I listen to schiit ton of metal/punk/rock, but also to blues, jazz, folk, ambient...it's all great IMO.

You've got a great little entry level metal, rock, blues-guitar oriented can...may be all you'll ever want.

Hhahaha thanks for the musics and the congrats! XD

I just love getting new headphones especially great headphones like the Grados xD

Billson :)

Aug 14, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #8,591 of 65,841
not exactly grado related, other than i'll be listening on grado's anyway
i just pledged to help fund the geek dac/amp by light harmonic on kickstarter (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gavn8r/geek-a-new-usb-awesomifier-for-headphones)
i have no earthly idea why, other than i'm a little nuts
boy do i live dangerous

Aug 14, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #8,592 of 65,841
Aug 14, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #8,593 of 65,841
Quote:
Would be cool to have but as a 14 year old teenager don't have money to spend on headphones, amp, AND that

and you don't get it til january , and i really should spend on something else, (just an authorization on credit card for now)

Aug 14, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #8,594 of 65,841
Quote:
not exactly grado related, other than i'll be listening on grado's anyway
i just pledged to help fund the geek dac/amp by light harmonic on kickstarter (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gavn8r/geek-a-new-usb-awesomifier-for-headphones)
i have no earthly idea why, other than i'm a little nuts
boy do i live dangerous

So-are you the $5000 backer?  That would be nuts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back