Grado Fan Club!
Aug 15, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #8,612 of 66,291
Quote:

That's great news! I always get excited when I hear about someone picking up some PS500s...they've just become such a tremendous source of enjoyment for me, it's fun to hear about others discovering a similar love for these phones. 

Then get excited! lol  I just purchased some PS500s yesterday and they should arrive next Wednesday.  This will be my first taste of a higher up Grado, can't wait!

Aug 15, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #8,613 of 66,291
Then get excited! lol  I just purchased some PS500s yesterday and they should arrive next Wednesday.  This will be my first taste of a higher up Grado, can't wait!

This is my first move upstream, grados or otherwise, other than some senn hd203, I haven't owned anything but grados

Aug 15, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #8,614 of 66,291
Quote:
i'm no techy, but isn't iTunes just software/interface. Isn't it the hardware that affects sound quality? I have iTunes and Foobar, and I don't hear any difference between the two when playing the same file on the same PC.

Oh man, iTunes sucks.  Everything I hear out of iTunes is garbage.  If I'm listening to something great, and I find out it's on iTunes, the suckiness becomes apparent to me.

I am, of course, kidding.  I use Media Monkey, and occasionally Foobar.  I have Foobar mostly for future playback of DSD files.  I don't have time right now, but eventually I will.

My only real objection to iTunes is the lack of native FLAC support.  I definitely prefer the iTunes interface

To be totally geeky and honest, if I really, really, really want bit-perfect playback, I like the stodginess of VLC Media.  And it plays just about everything.

Aug 15, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #8,615 of 66,291
@gefski - always wondered about the player used. I use itunes with mostly lossless files- has anybody got any thoughts as to whether SQ would be improved by any other player and if so which? Stream via Airplay to an Apple TV then optical to my DAC.

I use Jplay mini. I believe it improves playback from a PC. It does so by shutting down hundreds of "tasks" the PC "wants" to run at the same time it plays music. All these tasks running at the same time can apparently increase jitter.

Lots of industry experts are on record advocating that Computer audio users can improve SQ by manually doing some of the same things (take PC off line, disable virus protection, remove all usb plug-ins except the music stream, etc.) Check out discussions from Wavelength or Audioquest.

Please note that there is no claim of "improving" the bits. It's a simple attempt to make the PC a better player overall (like going from an $80 to an $800 cd player, same bits, better sound).

iTunes and JRiver have great graphics and features, and Jplay has nothing like that. My desktop system is as simple as I can get it. This works for me because my PC is just a music player. And while listening to music, I'm likely on my iPad reading on All Music Guide about the album I'm listening to ON GRADO RS1is. (staying on the thread topic)

Aug 15, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #8,616 of 66,291
jriver > music streamer ii+ > LD i+ PS500 ====> WOW  lol, ok, thats out of the way, i just got home, the wife signed for the package
i've had them on about 15-20 minutes,  very pleased !

Aug 15, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #8,617 of 66,291
^you better...you're... one of us now... one of us...

Aug 15, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #8,618 of 66,291
beerchug.gif
 Welcome to the collective...
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #8,619 of 66,291
Quote:
jriver > music streamer ii+ > LD i+ PS500 ====> WOW  lol, ok, thats out of the way, i just got home, the wife signed for the package
i've had them on about 15-20 minutes,  very pleased !

Congratulations!!! Don't forget to do a comparison with the MS2i's, I would love to hear your comments between the two, enjoy!!!

Aug 15, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #8,621 of 66,291
Quote:
Congratulations!!! Don't forget to do a comparison with the MS2i's, I would love to hear your comments between the two, enjoy!!!

thanks !
as for comparison to the ms2
after a few quick a/b's over the last 30-45 minutes, no real time for much detail other than one word MORE

Aug 15, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #8,622 of 66,291
Drum roll please:

This is officially my 100th post on Headfi.  The overwhelming majority of which have been on this thread.  Thanks for a fun, informative, and generally relaxed time folks.  It can get a bit testy in other threads...

Aug 15, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #8,624 of 66,291
Quote:
Drum roll please:

This is officially my 100th post on Headfi.  The overwhelming majority of which have been on this thread.  Thanks for a fun, informative, and generally relaxed time folks.  It can get a bit testy in other threads...

congrats !!
probably 80%-90% of my posts are here, maybe 10%-15%over in the little dot tube rolling thread, the rest just here and there
it seems most folks, here, and the LD thread, don't care as much about specs, numbers , flavors of the month, etc
the attitude here is more about having fun collectively , respecting others opinions, experiences etc, just a good vibe here

Aug 15, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #8,625 of 66,291
congrats !!
probably 80%-90% of my posts are here, maybe 10%-15%over in the little dot tube rolling thread, the rest just here and there
it seems most folks, here, and the LD thread, don't care as much about specs, numbers , flavors of the month, etc
the attitude here is more about having fun collectively , respecting others opinions, experiences etc, just a good vibe here

I agree, this is one of the most fun threads I've found.

Congrats on the purchase, jay. Looking forward to your opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back