Grado Fan Club!
Jan 16, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #6,151 of 65,797
Quote:
I would entirely disagree with you on the basis that electrical damping is essentially a fantasy (go ahead and tell me I'm wrong, and then go ahead and tell JBL, McIntosh, BK Butler, Rod Elliot, QSC, Accuphase, and so on that they're all wrong too). Damping is primarily (like 99%) a mechanical feature, and Grados rely on nothing but the driver itself (more or less) for this (and their drivers are good; I'll give you that); if you actually reviewed the CSDs you're blindly referencing (and you can actually go beyond purrin's measurements, and go look at CSDs from He&Bi and GE too), most of them (being Grado models) exhibit ringing in the upper treble (and FR and IR will also show this) - and believe it or not, some people just don't like bright cans that have resonance artefacts. And that ringing isn't really hard to predict based on the enclosure design. If you want to look at a "singularly well damped" example of a headphone, the Koss Pro4/A and 4/AA are good candidates. Most 'stats will also put up a very clean CSD too (because the drivers are extremely well controlled). They sound very different from Grados. And no, I'm not saying ringing is a bad thing by any means here (even purrin makes the comment that the RS-1 "look worse than they sound" on measurements). It's part of their coloration and their flair - and it doesn't suit everyone.

Their impedance is very stable, so changes in Zout won't result in any significant FR changes unless you increase Zout substantially (which will act on the bass region where the impedance peak is; here's a great article on the topic: http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=KB_Columns&document_srl=1389) - what's really quite disturbing about your argument is in one hand you're taking the modern marketing line of DF as pushed by makers like Crown and Anthem (who are both miserable shills with a history of saying or doing anything just to close a sale), but you're then using that fallacy to argue against itself (and saying that DF is "bad'). Sure, high Zout *can* be a good thing depending on overall system Q (which is an unknown here), but we'd be talking about LF response based on the impedance of the Grado drivers (it would be most pronounced with the GSK and PSK). Basically you'd be talking about a slight bump to the LF as Zout went up; I can tell you from experience that going between 2 and 500R doesn't do much of anything, even with the GSK. As far as what happens if you over-damp (which you're not gonna do without physical modification) - it should not ever produce a "harsh" or "tizzy" sound (because that would be a result of ringing, which critical damping will prevent...) - it'll just be over-damped. And at that point they'll just sound dead and lifeless. So in summary, *IF* DF were worth phoning home about, it would actually REDUCE the harsh/tizzy sound (by better controlling the driver's movement), and decreasing it would decrease damping (which would increase ringing and tizziness (like I said, your argument is logically troubling)) - now of course in the real world that doesn't hold up, because DF isn't worth phoning home about, and all you'll get as you run Zout up is a slight bass boost (which I could see people interpreting as a slight warmth, but we're talking very slight). If you wanted to make them ring worse, you could EQ up the treble or get really nasty and setup a filter to target and excite the points at which the enclosures already want to ring (you'd have to measure them before you could build this) and they'd sound absolutely disgusting at the end of it (why anyone would want to do this to any headphone or speaker I have no idea, but it is theoretically possible). Now, if all you're getting at is "more bass compensates for their brightness" (either because it's changing phase response, or by masking, or a combination of both) - that's fine. But we have tone controls for a reason.

They're sensitive, stable, and low impedance - they don't want for much in terms of power, and you can get the same party from more or less anything that'll give up the power they do want in a clean way. Clean and quiet is king, only because I think a lot of people will have an issue listening to hiss or pot rustling inherent on a lot of the shoddier amplifiers out there. But as gradofan pointed out - good current supply, clean tracking, and you're pretty much set. If you prefer the coloration of tubes or equalization, or whatever else - that's a personal choice, and should be left up to the end-user to explore. I think I need to qualify that my statements are being taken massively out of context though (is it because they're hurting someone's bottom line I wonder?) - my comments were specifically directed at preproman's question, and based on the knowledge that he has a (very dapper looking) pair of D7000s that I'm assuming he has suitable amplification for. Whatever is driving those will have no issue driving any Grado. If someone wants to experiment with various tubed or non-tubed products on their own, that's their choice - and I provided a list of the four manufacturers I see most commonly suggested when people for ask a good amplifier for their Grados (which usually come from a more subjective "amps are all different" crowd and do include a combination of tubed and untubed devices) - as a starting off point. Of course there are many different amplifiers out there, and people will find enjoyment in a variety of products that may not be considered "right" by the mainstream - and that's also perfectly fine (but I still think having a starting point is helpful versus "go forth and frolic"
redface.gif
). But I'm going to take an issue when you try to force everyone's experiences into some "grand theory of the Universe" to either explain your own experiences, or sell product.
Someone (I forget who now...) was posting about their HA540 like two days ago - just dig back a few pages. I think he said it worked out pretty well.
smily_headphones1.gif

The great majority of headphone users probably regard Grados as "hot" and "peaky" in the highs.  You think tubes are "colored" and for some people that seems to counteract the hot peaks. (Or you suggest resorting to tone controls.)  That's the GRAND THEORY of the universe that's being espoused.  That's only because the majority of tube implementations out there are sub-standard.  It's the capacitors that make them sound that way.  It does not follow that Grados may happen to sound better in some instances because of that.  The explanation is more complex.  There is also more to over-damping than just thinking it means "dead."  An over-damped signal is not in isolation.  It combines with other signals along the way to create very bad harmonics.

Actually, the Sennheiser HD800 falls into this same category.  It's why a lot of people call it "bright" and have a devil of a time finding just the right amplifier combination.  Too low output impedance amplifiers can offer an explanation.  (While many people simply say, "It needs tubes.")

I offered an explanation based on countless amplifier designs and builds (not just from me).  It's called empirical evidence and it's pretty strong.  It's funny that one can construct a SS amp with output transformers and create much the same effect (Grados that aren't hot or tizzy) - without any glass.  Anyway, I simply disagreed ... and this is your response.

BTW, I made no personal observations about your profile, your supposed rationale for expressing opinions, or anything else of that nature.  I would appreciate the same consideration.  Thanks.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #6,152 of 65,797
Last semester I accidentally left a pair of SR60i's in one of the engineering labs at my college. As it was a busy time during the semester I searched around the apartment a bit, thinking they were there and didn't come up with anything. Since I'm the main sound operator at our school I have a few different cans to listen to, so I grabbed a pair to use until my Grados would magically appear in my laundry or some other hideaway.

Lo and behold I ended up running to the main engineering building a couple days later to find that my SR60i's had ended up in a professor's office. But before landing on his desk, they went to 3 other professors' due to the awe that struck the lab assistant as he decided that he might as well try them out since they're just sitting around waiting to be found. All commented on how awesome they were (for the price) and one event went to amazon.com later that afternoon to purchase his own pair.

Sadly the SR60i's have retired to headphone heaven as they could not withstand 3 years of collegiate torture, and indeed I have moved on to Audio Technica's ATH-M50s due to their closed back sound isolation but there will always be a place in my heart for Grado cans. Maybe someday soon a pair of SR125i's will find their way home.

Jan 17, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #6,153 of 65,797
Quote:
RS-1i. I like the intimate/close-up presentation they provide along with their overall tonal balance (the bass and treble is basically perfect as far as dynamic headphones are concerned imho - not too much, not too little, just right). Sure, the bigger Grados have a bigger stage, and the SR-325 are more up-front, but I like where the RS-1 are just set in that Goldilocks zone (at least imho) pretty much across the board. When listening to them I don't have a "I wish..." or "I would change..." thought about them. They just "fit" precisely, at least for me.

I heard while the RS-1i SQ is an improve over the 325i it is not significantly very far apart. Is this true?

Jan 17, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #6,154 of 65,797
Quote:
I heard while the RS-1i SQ is an improve over the 325i it is not significantly very far apart. Is this true?

It's far enough to justify the price difference for me. The deeper bass and less etched treble was worth it to my ears. Throw in the added comfort with the lighter wood, the RS1i is my favourite Grado current production headphone.

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #6,155 of 65,797

I agree with MacedonianHero here. The RS-1 is more comfortable (they're either the lightest or second lightest production Grado; the SR-325 is one of the heaviest), less aggressive/abrasive on-top, and has better low-end extension. But there's a lot of "the RS-2 is almost an RS-1, and the SR-325 is almost an RS-2, the RS-1 is a ripoff" floating around - I don't know where it comes from, but I've seen that argument posed a time or two. I always question if the person saying it has heard all three. :xf_eek:

I know this is also somewhat petty, because it's build related, but the RS-1 are also better put together than most of the other Grados - metal gimbals, leather handband, etc; you really get the "this is our flagship" vibe from them (even if they've been leap-frogged by the GS-1000, and now PS-1000). Just based on their appearance/presentation and "on the head" or "in the hand" feel, the RS-1 earns a higher price tag; the sonic and ergonomic improvements are fantastic as well. Overall I think that yes, they're a better headphone, and that it does warranty the extra money, but it's the result of many subtle things coming together in the right proportion. If you're on a shoestring budget and want the Grado sound, the 325 are not a bad headphone (nor are the 225, which are lighter and will (imho) be more comfortable as a result) - but there is certainly improvement to be had with the RS-1. Basically what I'm trying to say here is, don't feel obligated to upgrade, but if you do, I don't think you'll feel like you've been taken for a ride.

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #6,156 of 65,797
Can anyone help with this. I have been through the following....
Beyer DT880 600ohm
AKG Q701
Beyer T90

Ended up with the Senn HD650... 

However I just got Grado PS500's... Wow! Love them. Best I have owned yet...
The Senn HD650 are just too muddy and smooth sounding to me but are not as harsh in the highs as the PS500... Not a bad thing. I like the PS500 better.

I am looking for a good alternative to the PS500..I am selling the Senn HD650 and want an alternative to my Grado's.. Just something maybe with a little less energy and more laid back but not foggy sounding like the HD540. Any help? Any Brand too...

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #6,157 of 65,797
Quote:
Beyer DT880 600ohm
AKG Q701
Beyer T90

The Senn HD650 are just too muddy and smooth sounding to me but are not as harsh in the highs as the PS500... Not a bad thing. I like the PS500 better.

I am looking for a good alternative to the PS500..I am selling the Senn HD650 and want an alternative to my Grado's.. Just something maybe with a little less energy and more laid back but not foggy sounding like the HD540. Any help? Any Brand too...

HD600? Try asking in recommendations thread too

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #6,158 of 65,797
Beyer DT880 600ohm
AKG Q701
Beyer T90

Kenwood KH-K1000. It's like a closed Sennheiser, with treble, and more bass, and somewhat forward mids, and less clampy, and easier to drive, and a better soundstage, and some isolation (okay I'll stop digging into the Senns, lol). Would be a nice complement to the Grados imho. Alternately you might try the Koss ESP/950 - I really like mine alongside the RS-1 (I even wrote a big long thing about it: http://www.head-fi.org/t/618153/battle-of-the-american-titans).

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #6,159 of 65,797
OK. Thanks. Thought I would come here since I am now a huge Grado fan.. Love the PS500.

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #6,160 of 65,797
Jan 22, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #6,162 of 65,797
Quote:
I disagree.  Grados are singularly well-damped.  (See some of purrin's graphs and reports on Grado decay.)  Connecting them to the current-FOTM super-low-output-impedance amplifers causes them to over-damp, resulting in the harshness and tizziness that many people cite for their dislike of Grados.  The reason Grados do well with many tube amps is not necessarily the "warmth of tubes," but that the output impedance is quite a bit higher than your run-of-the-mill low-output-impedance SS amp.  Grados do quite well on 15 ohm output impedance and higher.

This gets complicated to a certain extent because the low impedance of Grados causes fall-off with OTL amps as lowering the bass cut-off point results in extremely large and super-expensive output capacitors (which means shortcuts/cheaper alternatives are often used). Hybrids experience this fault, too, because many of their output buffers still require blocking caps and unless sized large enough, cause bass roll-off or phase distortion in low frequency response.

Bottom line, for the best sound with Grados - finding the right amplification is not necessarily so simple

I couldn't agree more.
A lot of amplifiers do work well with Grados due to their (Grados') low impedance & high sensitivity. Heck, they sound pretty good straight out of the iPod.
But to get your Grados to sound their best you'll need to search for the amp...OR select from my list 
wink_face.gif

Beginning with the least preferred :

5.Melos SHA1
4. WA22
3. EAR HP4
2. ECBA
1. MAD+ EAR 

Just get the Mapletree and you'll save a lot of time and money.
IMHO, obviously.

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #6,163 of 65,797
Quote:
I couldn't agree more.
A lot of amplifiers do work well with Grados due to their (Grados') low impedance & high sensitivity. Heck, they sound pretty good straight out of the iPod.
But to get your Grados to sound their best you'll need to search for the amp...OR select from my list 
wink_face.gif

Beginning with the least preferred :

5.Melos SHA1
4. WA22
3. EAR HP4
2. ECBA
1. MAD+ EAR 

Just get the Mapletree and you'll save a lot of time and money.
IMHO, obviously.

That's what I would do... it's a "tried and true" combination, which absolutely no one (that I've seen on this forum) has ever less than "raved about," as being, the best match for Grados.  Seem's like a "no-brainer" to me.  In fact, I often think I'll spring for a MAD amp myself - just for my Grados.  But, I'm sure it would mate well with Denons and ATH's also.  

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #6,164 of 65,797
Quote:

That's what I would do... it's a "tried and true" combination, which absolutely no one (that I've seen on this forum) has ever less than "raved about," as being, the best match for Grados.  Seem's like a "no-brainer" to me.  In fact, I often think I'll spring for a MAD amp myself - just for my Grados.  But, I'm sure it would mate well with Denons and ATH's also.  

I'm also interested in this MAD headphone amp, can you guy's tell me the price and the exact model you are talking about , so I can do some further research? Thanks.

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #6,165 of 65,797
I havent had an MAD headamp yet, but I can tell you that Dr.P is a great guy and very helpful if you shoot an email off to him. I bought my first tube preamp from MAD and it was an amazing experience. I often regret selling it cause it was a beautiful piece. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back