Grado Fan Club!
Jan 28, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #6,181 of 66,264
Quote:
Jumping in with a question! Has anyone wooden cupped a pair of SR-80's and aside from the beautiful cosmetic change do you notice any appreciable difference in sound?

Many have and most do. The Grado drivers, while not all identical, are mostly quite similar. Just be sure to liberate the drivers for the full effect.

Jan 28, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #6,183 of 66,264
Quote:
Liberate? Excuse my rather limited experience, but what is the liberation of the driver?

Liberated drivers are drivers that have been extracted from their plastic housings. If you go on the headphone lounge website their is a video on how to do this when using their wooden cups, because the drivers must be liberated then installed into the wood cup.

Jan 28, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #6,184 of 66,264
Hi Guys! I got forwarded to get recommendations. 

Here is my original message:

Hello! I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. I just need some opinions on what to get for headphones. 

My current setup is:
AKG Q701
Schiit Lyr
Jolida DAC

I'm planning to upgrade my headphones, my first choice is the Grado RS1i, second is the PS500 and the third will be the Denon AHD7100. I know the Denon is closed so its kind of a different animal, I just cant decide.

I listen mostly to Classic Rock and the headphones will be used for light PC gaming and Movies.

Any type of advice is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #6,185 of 66,264
Hi Guys! I got forwarded to get recommendations. 

The RS1i is a really great can IMHO. From what I can hear the RS1i is more detailed while the PS500 is more bass-refined. Honestly I'd go for the RS1i myself as it is a totally badass pair especially for classic rock.

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #6,186 of 66,264
I liked the RS1 the moment I heard them, even unamped, but the more and more I use them, the better they get to me. I know it's me getting used to all the new details and sound signature but man, I love these RS1s. Sound so sweet

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #6,187 of 66,264
I love my PS 500's. Anyone know if there is a velour cover ear pad for Grados?

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #6,189 of 66,264
Quote:
I love my PS 500's. Anyone know if there is a velour cover ear pad for Grados?

Aren't you affraid that it would change their sound signature?

Jan 29, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #6,192 of 66,264
getting round to modding a pair of sr 80's
so far ive only done the basic stuff (replaced grilles, a few holes punched each side,  replace pads with L-cush, etc) 
but maybe ill get some wooden cups
its fun so far
i can see why people say its addictive :wink:

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #6,193 of 66,264
I have purchased my first two significant pieces of Headfidom gear.

I Just had my first HP's delivered-Grado 225i. And, have ordered the Schiit Asgard on back order. Still debating a DAC.....thinking hard about the Fiio e17 so I can use as a portable as well...but am open to suggestions
confused_face(1).gif

On a side note, I have a generic adapter to plug into my Ipod and the connection is weak...I have to wiggle it around a lot. I'm going to pick up Grado's specific adapter. I hope that take care of the connection. Curious, if anyone else has that experience.

I love the sound and am looking forward to comparing the sound with amplification!

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #6,194 of 66,264
Congrats, I have SR225i as well and they are great. About that adapter - I have Grado's adapter, that I changed in local store because connection wasn't perfect. Neither it was in new one, so I started testing. That adapter works like a charm with every other headphone jack than the ones I have with my DIY headphone amp or dac/amp (neutrik). Every other headphone with 3.5mm plug works perfectly with my amp and dac/amp, so nothing is broken, they just don't fit. It's not that bad anyway, totally useable, just sometimes if adapter moves, I can hear that the problem exists.

Jan 30, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #6,195 of 66,264
Thanks...I'll pick one of Grado's adapters and see. It's pretty annoying now as I find if I start moving around a lot....it's touch and go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back