Grado Fan Club!
Jan 30, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #6,196 of 66,276
Another congrats. If I could only have one set of my headphones, those would be the ones I would keep. If the Grado sound is right for you, you'll really enjoy them :)

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #6,197 of 66,276
Thanks! This is a new hobby for me....amplifiers and the like. But, I'm really enjoying these headphones!

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #6,198 of 66,276
Quote:
Thanks...I'll pick one of Grado's adapters and see. It's pretty annoying now as I find if I start moving around a lot....it's touch and go.

Quick follow up-I picked up Grado's mini adapter last night and listened this morning while getting for work-maybe 20 minutes. With the generic adapter, the connection was loose...I would hear music, then lose all sound, or just hear out of one HP, fuss w/ the connector, sound again, lose it again.

With the Grado specific adapter-I had zero problems.  Clear connection. No more fadiing in and out sound as the I moved around.

So, I would definitely recommend anyone just purchasing Grados 225 and up to get the Grado  adapter and stay away from anything else.

Jan 31, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #6,199 of 66,276
Quote:

With the Grado specific adapter-I had zero problems.  Clear connection. No more fadiing in and out sound as the I moved around.

The Grado style adapter, with short cable between the male/female plugs puts less stress on your amp's headphone jack. This is especially good as some portables aren't that robust there. Also useful given the weight of the 225i big cable. 

Jan 31, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #6,200 of 66,276
I have a question for the Grado fans. I owned the RS2i before, eventually sold it because the sound especially the treble was too harsh, but I thought the upfront presentation and tonality works for some kind of music. Since then I have been looking forward to trying other Grados, namely the RS1i, PS500 and MS Pro.

Based on the comments I came across so far, it appears that the RS1i and MS Pro are very close to one another, but MS Pro works better for classical while RS1i for most other genre. PS500 would have the smoothest sound and treble easiest on the ear, but a little less detailed and diluted tonality.

Am I mistaken in my impressions, and which do you think would be my best bet.

Thx.

Feb 1, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #6,201 of 66,276
I know this isn't the forum, but I wanted to get a sense of "source" criteria from other Grado listeners....

I've recently purchased a Grado 225i and a Schiit Asgard.

I've got a 20 + year old Pioneer DC-Z83 double cassette with amplifier system I'd like to use with my headphone as a designated rig and stereo. It originally had a six CD cartridge that is not working. I'm going to purchase a new CD player for the system.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the notion of a good "source", and what that means exactly. Specific to HP's, my question is, with my G 225 and Asgard, how important is the source and how much money do I need to sink into a CD player? Do, I need to sink $ 300 or more into a CD player and how much difference will it make?

It's not that I'm unwilling to spend several 100 $, but I also would like to upgrade the speakers, look into a portable amp/DAC....you guys know how it goes when your audio wish list begins to expand.

I would love some recommendations. I do a good bit of my HP listening on an Ipod which totally takes dedicated components out of the equation. But, I like to sit down and and spend quality time listening as well.

If I could find a comparable CD player to combine w/ my old Pioneer system, my Grados and schiit amp, I would content....

well, at least until the next obsessive purchase :)

Feb 1, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #6,202 of 66,276
No. It won't make a significant difference. Most name brand DVD/CD players today have decent digital to analog conversion. You shouldn't need to spend more than $100.

I'd be more worried about the quality of the preamp section in the Pioneer unit you have. When you get the CD player, compare it with everything plugged in through the Pioneer, versus the Asgard plugged directly into the CD player. You may find that Pioneer unit is the weak link. Or it may be OK. But try it.

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #6,203 of 66,276
Quick question. I am looking to buy some used either 225i or 325i headphones, but I know there were some earlier models without the i . Is there a way to tell if any given headphone is the older non-i version or the newer improved model. This would be in a photo as I am shopping on-line for the most part. Or would you have to actually have the hp in your hand to tell?

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #6,204 of 66,276
Quote:
Quick question. I am looking to buy some used either 225i or 325i headphones, but I know there were some earlier models without the i . Is there a way to tell if any given headphone is the older non-i version or the newer improved model. This would be in a photo as I am shopping on-line for the most part. Or would you have to actually have the hp in your hand to tell?

The older SR models (non-i) versions cups are straight on the ends, where as the newer (i) versions cups are mushroomed at the ends.

Feb 1, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #6,205 of 66,276
Quote:
I have a question for the Grado fans. I owned the RS2i before, eventually sold it because the sound especially the treble was too harsh, but I thought the upfront presentation and tonality works for some kind of music. Since then I have been looking forward to trying other Grados, namely the RS1i, PS500 and MS Pro.

Based on the comments I came across so far, it appears that the RS1i and MS Pro are very close to one another, but MS Pro works better for classical while RS1i for most other genre. PS500 would have the smoothest sound and treble easiest on the ear, but a little less detailed and diluted tonality.

Am I mistaken in my impressions, and which do you think would be my best bet.

Thx.

From my experience, the RS1i has slightly more bass presence than the RS2i, and seemingly smoother treble. I too thought the RS2i had sharp treble, but I thought the RS1i's treble was good.

I haven't heard the MS Pro.

PS500 still has a peak in the treble, but it is smoother than the RS2i. The mids are less forward. But the bass is what makes the PS500 stand out. It has a thicker sound than all the Reference Series. For some, it's to die for. For others (myself included), it's too exaggerated. I don't know about less detailed though, and I'm not sure what diluted tonality means. It sounds thicker and fuller than RS1i, so if anything I'd say the opposite of "diluted".

Probably any three of those headphones would please you more than the RS2i. For what it's worth, I like the RS1i better than the PS500, and the RS1i's bass is the best I've heard on any Grado (I haven't heard GS1000i or PS1000).

Feb 1, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #6,206 of 66,276
The older SR models (non-i) versions cups are straight on the ends, where as the newer (i) versions cups are mushroomed at the ends.

Cable is also thicker, and on the SR-325 they're a different color (original SR-325 is black (these are rare), 325i is gold (these were in production until a few years ago), 325is (current version) is silver (can be matte or shiny)).

Some examples:

SR-225i:

SR-125 & SR-225:

It also looks like the screens on the 225 changed color and pattern (from black holes to silver grids).

If you're also looking at the SR-125; modern 125i will look more like the 225i pictured above, but they come with the "comfy" pads (so the entire earpad is black foam, there's not a visible white center). Old 125 is pictured in the second image. You can get the "bowl" pads (like the 225i picture shows) for any modern Grado headphone - they are an improvement (sonically) imho, but may not be as comfortable for everyone. *shrug*

Feb 4, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #6,207 of 66,276
Quote:
No. It won't make a significant difference. Most name brand DVD/CD players today have decent digital to analog conversion. You shouldn't need to spend more than $100.

I'd be more worried about the quality of the preamp section in the Pioneer unit you have. When you get the CD player, compare it with everything plugged in through the Pioneer, versus the Asgard plugged directly into the CD player. You may find that Pioneer unit is the weak link. Or it may be OK. But try it.

I did some research and saw some of the $300-500'ish range CD players that were top choices on Headfi. I ended up ordering the Onkyo C-7030 CD Player right around $200. It looks like a decent quality budget CD player and Crutchfield talked about it being audiohile friendly. I found some reviews that were positive for people listening with HPs.

Amp question.

Do most of you who listen to your Grados to an Ipod or other mp3, use portable amps? Or, do you find you listen through an Amp/Dac primarily when listening to dedicate sources. I'm waiting for my Asgard, so I haven't heard the difference yet. I find with my 225i, that I have no trouble powering my Ipod classic and it sounds pretty good to these ears. Maybe when I get the Asgard, it will be like night and day. But, I'm wondering if it is worth the hassle and expense to purchase a portable amp & strap it on  while listening to a portable device while moving around the house which is often how I listen to music (with an ipod, prepping dinner, getting ready for work, moving around from place to place). Or perhaps you use portable amps/DACS to take to work to listen to a work computer or a laptop or tablet or something...just curious the context in which folks use portable amps or amp/DAC combos.

Thanks,
Mark

Feb 4, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #6,208 of 66,276
I have the SR225i. I do prefer the sound coming out of my ODAC/Little Dot I+ over my Samsung Note 2 phone for critical listening. But for moving around the house, I'm not listening nearly as closely, and the SQ of the Samsung is good enough for me. It also seems that the SR225i really just do sound good with a multitude of sources. I have Ultrasone HFI-780 that respond more dramatically to being amplified, where I have more of a sense of loss when they are not amped.

However, I did just order an O2 headphone amp to go with my ODAC and the Note 2 (Note 2 has USB audio out). Not for my pocket for moving around (the O2 is a little big for that), but so I can sit anywhere in my house and relax with some critical listening, or if I want to use my headphones with my laptop in another room to get away from my computer workstation in my home office. Probably will take it on business trips for relaxing in the hotel room at the end of the day.

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #6,209 of 66,276
A question for those of you in wintry climates: have you ever experienced the pads freezing and crumbling? I received a set in the mail today and I noticed the box contained a lot of deteriorated foam particles. The surface of the pads touching the box (and subsequently the coldest) were affected, the rest seemed fine. 

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #6,210 of 66,276
A question for those of you in wintry climates: have you ever experienced the pads freezing and crumbling? I received a set in the mail today and I noticed the box contained a lot of deteriorated foam particles. The surface of the pads touching the box (and subsequently the coldest) were affected, the rest seemed fine. 

Nope, but I don't take mine outside. :xf_eek:

I have, however, experienced sponges and weatherstripping do what you described - usually it means there was moisture in the pad that froze (and expanded -> cracked). I don't think my RS-1 (or 225) pads have that much moisture in them latently; I live in a fairly dry climate though. I know the pads do eventually disintegrate in the manner you describe as well; could just be the jostling of the shipping (especially if this was a normal pizzabox, where the pads are straight to cardboard) that finally did'em in. Who knows though; replacements are cheap at least. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back