Grado Fan Club!
Oct 26, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #1,156 of 65,579

Quote:
Totally agree, anything over 60mins on the 325i's even with a nice source and amp leaves your ears bombed out like Baghdad.

But I prefer my short, sharp 50-60mins listening sessions.

I prefer short brutal listening sessions anyway haha

Oct 26, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #1,157 of 65,579
yea me too i prefer short listening sessions with my goldies and it definitely sounds really good.. ever since upgrading to the RS1, the sound is really smooth and comfortable.. i can listen to it forever... its just so smoothhhhh

Oct 26, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #1,158 of 65,579
Nice to see that the initial PS500 reviews flowing in are suggesting that it resembles a more balanced
approach while remaining smooth like the RS1.

Could be just the thing for a Gradophile who likes to rock out to Iggy pop with the 325i's
inimitable visceral nature and yet chill back for a 2 hour jazz session with the PS500's
shortly afterwards.

Oct 26, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #1,159 of 65,579

Quote:
Nice to see that the initial PS500 reviews flowing in are suggesting that it resembles a more balanced

Could be just the thing for a Gradophile who likes to rock out to Iggy pop with the 325i's
inimitable visceral nature and yet chill back for a 2 hour jazz session with the PS500's
shortly afterwards.

+1

Oct 26, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #1,160 of 65,579

Quote:
Do you have one of the first versions of the Playstation 3? A little known secret...they can play SACDs AND as an added bonus, they can output SACDs digitially through HDMI to your receiver.

seriously? I have PS3 for almost 4 years now and I didn't know it at all...

Oct 26, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #1,161 of 65,579

Quote:
seriously? I have PS3 for almost 4 years now and I didn't know it at all...

Totally serious. It is the only SACD player that I know of that can output 5.1 channels digitally (via HDMI). The rest only output analog signals (that I know of that is).

Again, only the original PS3s only had this capability.

Oct 26, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #1,162 of 65,579

Quote:

shortly afterwards.

Exactly. While it is in no way relaxed, it cuts down on the harshness and is a lot smoother.

Oct 26, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #1,163 of 65,579
Didn't know this either.  Though that means it was not designed to spec which is probably why they never told anyone.

Quote:
Totally serious. It is the only SACD player that I know of that can output 5.1 channels digitally (via HDMI). The rest only output analog signals (that I know of that is).

Again, only the original PS3s only had this capability.

Oct 26, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #1,164 of 65,579

Quote:
Didn't know this either.  Though that means it was not designed to spec which is probably why they never told anyone.

Actually its in the manual. They must have removed the functionality on subsequent versions to help cost down the uber expensive initial units.

Oct 26, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #1,165 of 65,579

Quote:
Recently purchased a pair of Grado RS1's - these things are insane. I think my full-size headphone journey has ended - for now anyway!

I certainly love mine.  Great sound.

Oct 27, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #1,167 of 65,579

I guess this makes me a Grado Fan because:
I don't know how many times I've sold the Grado RS1(i) for what promised to be a better headphone.  
It many ways, almost every headphone I had (AD2000, D7000, AKG K702, HD800, LCD-2, UE11, JH13/16-JH-3A, and even GS1000, PS1000), were better headphones but in all of them, I wanted them to sound like the Grado RS1.  
I couldn't get away from it.  I missed the sound jumping out at you, the attack of the electric guitar, the harmonics of acoustic guitar floating around you, the intimate vocals, the punchy mid-bass and the paradox of warm and bright that only Grado RS1i can do. So now I'm back to Grado RS1i again and am loving it.  The Grado GR10 for portable on the go and Grado RS1i for home. Sometimes it's not about what is technically better but what is musically involving. At least for me. 
o2smile.gif

My Grado RS1 set up at it's best (in the past) for me was the Audio GD NFB-3 Dac with Mad Ear-HD.  Now sorry that I sold it off, this time I'm going to try the Bifrost Dac with the Asgard amp both from Schiit Audio.  
The Asgard while solid state is smooth and warm and should prove to be a good match for the Grado RS1i.

Posted Originally in Grado RS1i Appreciation Thread:
Quote:
I think my grado journey ended as well ever since picking up the RS1 vintage B

Quote:
Recently purchased a pair of Grado RS1's - these things are insane. I think my full-size headphone journey has ended - for now anyway!

Oct 27, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #1,168 of 65,579
its great to hear that you and I both appreciate the musically involving sound from the RS1, its just something that gets you in the music. How was the Mad EAR? I'm using the Little Dot I+ right now and pretty satisfied with it but I'm always itching for an upgrade. 
beyersmile.png

Quote:

I guess this makes me a Grado Fan because:
I don't know how many times I've sold the Grado RS1(i) for what promised to be a better headphone.  
It many ways, almost every headphone I had (AD2000, D7000, AKG K702, HD800, LCD-2, UE11, JH13/16-JH-3A, and even GS1000, PS1000), were better headphones but in all of them, I wanted them to sound like the Grado RS1.  
I couldn't get away from it.  I missed the sound jumping out at you, the attack of the electric guitar, the harmonics of acoustic guitar floating around you, the intimate vocals, the punchy mid-bass and the paradox of warm and bright that only Grado RS1i can do. So now I'm back to Grado RS1i again and am loving it.  The Grado GR10 for portable on the go and Grado RS1i for home. Sometimes it's not about what is technically better but what is musically involving. At least for me. 
o2smile.gif

My Grado RS1 set up at it's best (in the past) for me was the Audio GD NFB-3 Dac with Mad Ear-HD.  Now sorry that I sold it off, this time I'm going to try the Bifrost Dac with the Asgard amp both from Schiit Audio.  
The Asgard while solid state is smooth and warm and should prove to be a good match for the Grado RS1i.

Posted Originally in Grado RS1i Appreciation Thread:

Oct 27, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #1,169 of 65,579
I like my Violectric V200, it sounds very warm and almost tube like.

Best Grado sound I've heard outside two amps ~ Eddie Current Xana Deux
and a Cayin HA-1A.

Oct 27, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #1,170 of 65,579

The Mad Ear HD had great synergy with the RS1 but at times too warm and smooth.  Sometimes I felt it lacked power and punch ( I guess better word would be dynamics).  Which is why I'm trying the Asgard.  It's solid state but warm and smooth (which is hard to find in solid state these days).

Quote:
its great to hear that you and I both appreciate the musically involving sound from the RS1, its just something that gets you in the music. How was the Mad EAR? I'm using the Little Dot I+ right now and pretty satisfied with it but I'm always itching for an upgrade. 
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back