Grado Fan Club!
Oct 28, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #1,186 of 65,682

Quote:
I have had the ps1000 and gs1000 and have had many versions of the RS1(i)  For their price, I think a better rod, block and head band would be nice.
But having said that, I am indebted to John Grado for the sound.  And it is what it comes down to and why I buy them. 

Like these?

Courtesy of Martin Custom Audio

Oct 28, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #1,188 of 65,682

Quote:
The Mad Ear HD had great synergy with the RS1 but at times too warm and smooth.  Sometimes I felt it lacked power and punch ( I guess better word would be dynamics).  Which is why I'm trying the Asgard.  It's solid state but warm and smooth (which is hard to find in solid state these days).

Really depends on the tubes you're using with the MAD. With the right ones...the best RS1 amp I've heard yet.

Oct 29, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #1,190 of 65,682
+1 I have the genalex gold lion and all I can say is wow. you'll have to pry the MAD out of my cold dead hands

Quote:
Really depends on the tubes you're using with the MAD. With the right ones...the best RS1 amp I've heard yet.

Oct 29, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #1,191 of 65,682
Got my HP-1000s this morning!!!
Pristine condition, the lettering is fully intact and it's even got the JG Signature Ultra-Wide Bandwidth Reference Cable.
They look sooo sexy!!

Very linear and smooth presentation. Tight and textured bass and the vocals are the best I've heard.

Better synergy with Schiit Lyr (Genelex Gold Lion cryo) than Woo WA22, IMHO.
Will post pictures soon.

Oct 29, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #1,192 of 65,682

Quote:
Pristine condition, the lettering is fully intact and it's even got the JG Signature Ultra-Wide Bandwidth Reference Cable.
They look sooo sexy!!

Very linear and smooth presentation. Tight and textured bass and the vocals are the best I've heard.

Will post pictures soon.

Congratulations!

Are they top of your Grado heap for now or is still early audition days to tell?

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #1,194 of 65,682
Ho boy has the Grado bug bit you hard. How do you like them? What is the difference between the Prestige line and the HF-1 series sonically to your ears?

Quote:
My new acquirement with my slightly less new acquirement.

Oct 29, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #1,195 of 65,682

Quote:
They look sooo sexy!!

Will post pictures soon.

Again...depends on the tubes. I MUCH prefer my HF-2s with my WA22 over my Lyr. Not to mention, I am a little worried using my Lyr with low impedance/highly efficient dynamic headphones....the magic smoke thing.
wink.gif
Throw in the much higher noise floor with the Lyr....

Quote:
You are probably right.  But I kept hearing how tube rolling didn't impact the sound on the MAD. 

I found the MAD (like all tube amps I've heard) really change with the tubes (mainly the power tube with the MAD). Pop in a Sylvania Black Plate Triple Mica 5751 and WOW.

Oct 29, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #1,196 of 65,682
Not sure if a Lyr is capable of damaging a pair of Grados.

Malveaux, a Lyr owner himself tried to pop a pair of cheapies (unknown) he had lying around and it just
refused to kill them.

I've had my 325i's at the 3'o' clock position on my V200 ~ theoretical maximum of 2700mW at
32ohms and it did cross my mind, but nope, no damage.

G

Oct 29, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #1,197 of 65,682

Quote:
Not sure if a Lyr is capable of damaging a pair of Grados.

Malveaux, a Lyr owner himself tried to pop a pair of cheapies (unknown) he had lying around and it just
refused to kill them.

I've had my 325i's at the 3'o' clock position on my V200 ~ theoretical maximum of 2700mW at
32ohms and it did cross my mind, but nope, no damage.

G

It is enough to blow a pair (or two) of Ed. 8s. I also have emails from Jason at Schiit Audio saying that he DOES NOT recommend the Lyr with low impedance/highly efficient dynamic headphones. Take your chances if you like....

Oct 29, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #1,198 of 65,682

Quote:
It is enough to blow a pair (or two) of Ed. 8s. I also have emails from Jason at Schiit Audio saying that he DOES NOT recommend the Lyr with low impedance/highly efficient dynamic headphones. Take your chances if you like....

Ahh yes I did hear that about the Ed. 8's. Not likely to ever see a Lyr in my setup, they're very rare out here, only one bloke near Sydney brings
them in for $550AUD delivered. I've heard it just the once, it's not bad for the money but it is nowhere as refined as the V200 but the price
reflects that. Tubed rolled it could be quite an amp though if you can get the tubes at a reasonable price.

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #1,200 of 65,682

Quote:
So those are yours...congratulations

Oh HEAVENS no, I've got an RS-2 so the wood curiosity is already out the window haha... I just fully endorse his work and what he does for the community and we share a few customers to create a collaboration of the two of our creations together.. though his is the much craftier and nicer one always hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back