Grado Fan Club!
Oct 21, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #1,141 of 65,687

Quote:
^^ They're just slightly different flavor of the same sound....lol....very clever marketing strategy...making people buying all of them to compare haha

Maybe, maybe not.  haha

Oct 21, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #1,142 of 65,687

Quote:
Doh - first strike, don't have that one in the collection ~ it's going to be interesting to see if any of us have any
identical recordings in our collections 
biggrin.gif

I find the Arcam to be a little bass heavy, combined with the V200 it reaches the upper threshold on some
recordings for bass impact. Looking for something more musical and a little more detailed, less warmth
would not bother me too much.

As good as the 30th Anniversary SACD is, the new lossless 5.1 BluRay on the Immersion Edition is simply the very best I've heard....FWIW.

Oct 21, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #1,143 of 65,687

Quote:
As good as the 30th Anniversary SACD is, the new lossless 5.1 BluRay on the Immersion Edition is simply the very best I've heard....FWIW.

Couple of mixed opinions on that one, can't remember which senior poster vented his views but his remark
was that the new 30th anniv. was quite loud and compressed sounding compared to the vintage LP stuff.

<shrug> yet to hear it myself, but I do have the 'Sampler' EP which reportedly has the same mastering
of 'Money' that is on the 30th anniv ~ best I've heard.

Oct 21, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #1,144 of 65,687

Quote:
Couple of mixed opinions on that one, can't remember which senior poster vented his views but his remark
was that the new 30th anniv. was quite loud and compressed sounding compared to the vintage LP stuff.

<shrug> yet to hear it myself, but I do have the 'Sampler' EP which reportedly has the same mastering
of 'Money' that is on the 30th anniv ~ best I've heard.

The SACD was NOT compressed. It runs at 88kHz (standard CDs run at half that) and sounds fantastic.

Of course if you don't have an SACD player, then you'll just get the standard CD layer (it's a hybrid CD/SACD).

Oct 21, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #1,145 of 65,687

Quote:
The SACD was NOT compressed. It runs at 88kHz (standard CDs run at half that) and sounds fantastic.

Of course if you don't have an SACD player, then you'll just get the standard CD layer (it's a hybrid CD/SACD).

Alas, I don't have an SACD player or decent CD transport at this stage, I'm one of those despicable
*. Wav and *.flac 24/96 vinyl rip fiends running off a laptop and a DAC 
wink_face.gif

Australian Hi Fi Melbourne show is on tomorrow, should be eye opening exposure to such nice
gear though. Will post pics in the Summit Hifi section of Head-Fi.

Oct 21, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #1,146 of 65,687

Quote:
Alas, I don't have an SACD player or decent CD transport at this stage, I'm one of those despicable
wink_face.gif

Australian Hi Fi Melbourne show is on tomorrow, should be eye opening exposure to such nice

Do you have one of the first versions of the Playstation 3? A little known secret...they can play SACDs AND as an added bonus, they can output SACDs digitially through HDMI to your receiver.

Oct 21, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #1,147 of 65,687

Quote:
Do you have one of the first versions of the Playstation 3? A little known secret...they can play SACDs AND as an added bonus, they can output SACDs digitially through HDMI to your receiver.

Ahh thanks for that, good to know.

Thankfully left my chronic gaming affliction behind about 5 years ago or so, just what I don't need
right now ~ an audio gear habit + a gaming problem 
bigsmile_face.gif

Just a shame that no 3rd party makes a decent USB external SACD drive.

Oct 22, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #1,148 of 65,687
If you were to look around, I'd look at the Oppo93 - it plays everything in all formats from CD-rom to Bluray audio; outputs coax, hdmi, multi-channeland has a built in saber32 DAC.

Quote:
wink_face.gif

Oct 23, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #1,149 of 65,687

Quote:
If you were to look around, I'd look at the Oppo93 - it plays everything in all formats from CD-rom to Bluray audio; outputs coax, hdmi, multi-channeland has a built in saber32 DAC. 

Thanks tme110

Alas, my issue at the moment is not so much on the will or monetary side of things ~ it's just space.

I'm living in a pretty small rental place at the moment and even a dedicated full sized music server
is out, a real pain because I'm acquiring a Rega DAC this week that is redbook limited to 16/48 USB
~ which means my 24/96 material will be going into hibernation until I source a Macbook or
SPDIF-USB converter. No real way around it, I'm laptop bound!

Oct 24, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #1,151 of 65,687

Quote:

I hope you like mixing with accountants in cardigans - I suspect that you are about to find out just how old and crusty a large proportion of the high end audio crowd really is. They may even issue you with a pipe and a pair of slippers at the door !
wink.gif

Oct 24, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #1,152 of 65,687

Quote:

I hope you like mixing with accountants in cardigans - I suspect that you are about to find out just how old and crusty a large proportion of the high end audio crowd really is. They may even issue you with a pipe and a pair of slippers at the door !
wink.gif

Fair call, the average age was certainly on the high side of 50+. Bit I still saw a few 20/30 somethings running around.
International students were keen too for a small room solution.

Headphone pics are up in the headphone forum, just about to setup the stereo thread in Summit-Hi Fi.

Best piece of kit for me was a set of $3000 Vienna Acoustic small floor speakers running off a Luxman amp.

Easily besting some gawdy gear that cost well in excess of $12,000.

Oct 25, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #1,153 of 65,687
Okay, I'm jumping into some ongoing discussion with no relevance to my post save this is the Grado fan club thread. I got my 125's several years ago as my first headphone audiophile experience. I enjoyed them some, but it didn't take long to move on through Denon, Senns, and AKG's, all of which have great features and shortcomings. The Grados got shelved. Finally got around to a tube amp,  and man, this morning I have just reveled in that Grado sound. Yeah, you can hear areas for improvement, and Grados simply don't cut it for long listening sections for me, but for a fifty minute listening experience, these are great and move relatively well through genres, a requirement for my playlists. Feeling the love... again.

Oct 25, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #1,154 of 65,687
Oct 25, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #1,155 of 65,687

Quote:
Okay, I'm jumping into some ongoing discussion with no relevance to my post save this is the Grado fan club thread. I got my 125's several years ago as my first headphone audiophile experience. I enjoyed them some, but it didn't take long to move on through Denon, Senns, and AKG's, all of which have great features and shortcomings. The Grados got shelved. Finally got around to a tube amp,  and man, this morning I have just reveled in that Grado sound. Yeah, you can hear areas for improvement, and Grados simply don't cut it for long listening sections for me, but for a fifty minute listening experience, these are great and move relatively well through genres, a requirement for my playlists. Feeling the love... again.

Totally agree, anything over 60mins on the 325i's even with a nice source and amp leaves your ears bombed out like Baghdad.

But I prefer my short, sharp 50-60mins listening sessions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back