Grado Fan Club!
Apr 26, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #556 of 65,609
^That frequency sweep I want to try on my MS1, RS2i, HF2, and UE RM.  See if I can start to recognize where exactly on the FR the bumps are...it is already easy to tell that if I bump bass and treble on the UE RM that brings them into the "fun" sound.  Learning what it is that I love about the Grados so much! 

I am learning from UE RM and Benchmark DAC1 that I really do enjoy "flat/neutral" but UE RM are right on the edge of wanting a bit more treble if not using Benchmark. A darker amp/source extension/power/sound sig and I will want to EQ a bit of treble mainly with UERM.  If I really want moar bass too, I can reach for HF2 or TF10. 

MS1 = more flat to me
RS2i = more bias toward treble but usually not too bright for me
HF2 = bump at both ends, really impactful (whether that's a word or not)
UE RM = neutral, about mids and good bass with just enough HF if great source (with darker source or amp, often need a bit of treble EQ for my tastes)

iBasso D12 = really good with all of my Grados (stock opamps and dummy buffers)
mini3 = okay with Grados but a bit bright (need to go from jumbos to bowls, especially on RS2i)
DAC1 = simply great with my Grados and okay, all my phones
UE RM = DIG sound sig and clarity with mini3 but less soundstage than D12, good sound sig with Icon Mobile but not as much punch/clarity or bass. Great with Benchmark.

(With portable amps using Sony or iPhone.  Problem with iPhone is macro adjustments, no Treble booster can be a little too dark and with Treble Booster can be a little too bright.  Darn it.)

Factor in want/need for excitement, or particular recordings or combos of different gear and that's why we need the choices!

Oh, and bowls bug me so if I need to use jumbo pads I need darker source/amp or more powerful amp to be able to drive the bass...combos seem really important to me now.

To me this explains why we end up keeping so many different items.  We need to be able to grab "parts in the garage" to make our systems run well (to our tastes). 

It would be a lot of work if it wasn't so much FUN...
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #557 of 65,609

Quote:

i see that here are a lot of greado fans... i have been havin wierd feelings about getting a pair of grados... now... my question is simple.... what is the best from sr60i sr80i sr125i and sr225i?....

all of them are overpriced by a high rate, here in europe.... so i just want to know which one of these has the best music enjoying sound... i do want bass as much as possible, highs to be crisp and vocals be clear.... i listen to music that has lots of instruments, and is very complex... i need the best of the best... 

thank you in advance for helping me...

sr325is or bust, 352is>anyther lower than it in every wy imaginabal. Listeing to the RS-2, 324is, 225i,80i side by side the difference between the 225 and 80 was subtle to me, the difference between the 325is are 225i was shockingly large, the 325is are warm, fairly bassy, detailed and smooth. A little spike in the highs but nothing like the harsh earspliting loudness and squeellyness of the 225i. the lower end grados are forever bann from my house. RS-2 <3

Apr 28, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #558 of 65,609

Quote:

i see that here are a lot of greado fans... i have been havin wierd feelings about getting a pair of grados... now... my question is simple.... what is the best from sr60i sr80i sr125i and sr225i?....

all of them are overpriced by a high rate, here in europe.... so i just want to know which one of these has the best music enjoying sound... i do want bass as much as possible, highs to be crisp and vocals be clear.... i listen to music that has lots of instruments, and is very complex... i need the best of the best... 

thank you in advance for helping me...

I've only heard the 225i's and the RS1i's and if you can get a 2nd hand pair of 225i's (keep a look out on Ebay theyre always popping up, or buy from US) I'd go for them. I think they are a brilliant midprice phone and can definately handle complex music. I thought the bass was realistic but not overly prominent; warm and punchy, balanced in relation to the other frequencies for the "Grado sound".  I've tried the tape mod with them and the bass was bigger and tighter with only a very slight effect on the mids.

Apr 28, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #559 of 65,609

Quote:
I've only heard the 225i's and the RS1i's and if you can get a 2nd hand pair of 225i's (keep a look out on Ebay theyre always popping up, or buy from US) I'd go for them. I think they are a brilliant midprice phone and can definately handle complex music. I thought the bass was realistic but not overly prominent; warm and punchy, balanced in relation to the other frequencies for the "Grado sound".  I've tried the tape mod with them and the bass was bigger and tighter with only a very slight effect on the mids.

I'll agree with that.  The SR225i headphones are actually quite good.  If  you can get them for a great price, go for it.  There are tons of modifications that can be done to them to enhance the sound to one's tastes.

Apr 28, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #560 of 65,609
I'm on the market for a pair of sub-$100 headphones.  The Grado SR-60's are really pulling me in from the reviews, but the only thing holding me back from buying them is that I read that they're uncomfortable and I like to listen to music for hours on end.  What do you guys think?  I'm also considering Sennheiser HD280's and AKG 240's.  Listen to classic rock and prog mostly

Apr 28, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #561 of 65,609
The stock comfies are actually fairly comfortable, as are the Senn 414 pad's that can be put on them instead. Flat's arn't too terrible in the comfort department either so far as I've read (But I havn't Tried legitimate flat pads yet). I absolutely love the feel of the Senn 414 pad's and I can wear my 60's for hours with them, except after I tried to dye them black they now turn my face black.

It's the grado bowl pads that get a lot of hate for comfort. I have them and they really are fairly uncomfortable for extended wear (on my left ear more than my right... weird), but I deal with them because I like the sound, and I usually don't have a chance to listen for more than an hour at a time anyway.

In short, I find the flatter comfy pad's quite comfortable, but some have had problems with them in the past, but a lot of the Grado comfort complaints come from the larger Bowl pads. Noone else has your head and ears though, so really the only way to know is to try. Grado's especially resell fairly high-priced and very quickly if you don't find they fit well with your noggin's geometry.

Apr 28, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #562 of 65,609

Quote:

It's the grado bowl pads that get a lot of hate for comfort.

I think it may be down to ear size with the bowls, not accusing anyone of having big ears though ha ha!

I have weird little ears that the bowls don't cover but sort of envelope. When I first got into Grado, I thought they were uncomfortable for a few days but then got used to them. The wood Grado's are so light that I really dont feel anything on extended listening periods. In fact, the longer I wear them the more comfortable they become.. against the grain I know but true!  

Apr 28, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #563 of 65,609

so here is where the grado fanbois hang out!

I have MS1 and SR80i, and MS1 is just too good to believe it.

Quote:

It's the grado bowl pads that get a lot of hate for comfort. I have them and they really are fairly uncomfortable for extended wear (on my left ear more than my right... weird), but I deal with them because I like the sound, and I usually don't have a chance to listen for more than an hour at a time anyway.

same here, on both ears. i prefer HD414 pads quartermoded.

Apr 28, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #564 of 65,609
Apr 30, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #565 of 65,609
Just picked up some SR60i's today. Wow! I am thoroughly impressed! 

I have been using AKG K701s and JH Audio 5 customs. Both are stunning headphones! The AKG is used for my recording sessions and when I want to study music and the JH5s are my go to "fun" phones ( I also use them live on-stage), but MAN ARE THE GRADOS FREAKING FUN!

I just listened to Porcupine Tree's The Incident and damn, I was engaged in the music! Then Tool's 10,000 Days. OH MY GOD!

I have to say, I am entirely satisfied now. My last pair of headphones are going to be Sennheiser HD-25 IIs and I'm officially DONE!

Apr 30, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #566 of 65,609
Untill you try the sr325is or RS-2 hahaha.

Apr 30, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #567 of 65,609

Quote:
Untill you try the sr325is or RS-2 hahaha.

Not sure, to be honest. I love trying new gear, but for me, it's all about the music. Writing and listening. I am more than satisfied with what I have right now! The Senns are purely because I could use some closed back phones for studio work!

Apr 30, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #568 of 65,609

Yeah I remember back in the day when I got my ms1. Everyone talked about how the ms1 was comparable to the sr225. Now it seems like the MS1 is the most neglected grado headphone. Seriously for 100 dollars i enjoy its sound much more than my m50 but now I have the ms2i and everything else just sits back. MS1 is just fantastic
Quote:

so here is where the grado fanbois hang out!

I have MS1 and SR80i, and MS1 is just too good to believe it.

same here, on both ears. i prefer HD414 pads quartermoded.

May 6, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #569 of 65,609
I just purchased Joshua Redman's Back East and woooooooow! I saw this trio perform this material live and it was one of the best experiences in my life. I am now hearing this material again and its just great. My 225i are doing a fantastic job at presenting it too. I'm one happy headphone nerd right now 
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #570 of 65,609

Quote:
Yeah I remember back in the day when I got my ms1. Everyone talked about how the ms1 was comparable to the sr225. Now it seems like the MS1 is the most neglected grado headphone. Seriously for 100 dollars i enjoy its sound much more than my m50 but now I have the ms2i and everything else just sits back. MS1 is just fantastic

x2 on the ms1>m50

so  ms2i is THAT good?
and what would be the difference between thr MS2 and MS2i soundwise, anyone know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back