Grado Fan Club!
May 7, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #586 of 65,724
I hope to someday afford/acquire a new pair of 325i's... It's my understanding that for the money, SR325i's are the best dollar-for-fidelity value available... I recently sprung for SR80i's and L-Cush cushions, and I've been in a state of audio euphoria since. If the 325's are that much better, I'll probably wiz down my leg and call this hobby complete... 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #587 of 65,724
I hope to someday afford/acquire a new pair of 325i's... It's my understanding that for the money, SR325i's are the best dollar-for-fidelity value available... I recently sprung for SR80i's and L-Cush cushions, and I've been in a state of audio euphoria since. If the 325's are that much better, I'll probably wiz down my leg and call this hobby complete... 
smily_headphones1.gif

I would be careful with that proposition. Along with the GS1000s, the SR325is were my least favourite Grado headphone....and I am not alone.

I've owned the SR60/80/125/225i/325is/RS1/RS1i and the best bang for your $ were the SR225s. The best Grados that I liked regardless of price were the RS1/RS1i.

May 7, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #588 of 65,724
225is made my ears bleed, the 325is were smooth and almost a bit warm, anything below that mark was ear splitingly harsh to me.

May 7, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #589 of 65,724
225is made my ears bleed, the 325is were smooth and almost a bit warm, anything below that mark was ear splitingly harsh to me.

???

This is the exact opposite of most people's experiences and how they measure:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=373&graphID[]=383

May 7, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #591 of 65,724
Got 325i Goldies a few days ago, but I went to a local store that carries Grados and walked out with brand new RS-2i's today. Guess Goldies are going up for sale, lol. 

Two questions: about how much burn-in should I expect these to need? And where can I buy a hard, protective travel case for them, in the US/online?  Thanks!

May 7, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #592 of 65,724

Quote:
Quote:

???

This is the exact opposite of most people's experiences and how they measure:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=373&graphID[]=383

I find my pair of SR325i is much warmer and less harsh than the other "SR" series Grados.  Then again, I do like to hear detail in my music - but, again, for a while, I almost thought the SR325i headphones didn't have enough detail because of its perceived effect of tamed highs.

May 7, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #593 of 65,724

Quote:
Got 325i Goldies a few days ago, but I went to a local store that carries Grados and walked out with brand new RS-2i's today. Guess Goldies are going up for sale, lol. 

Two questions: about how much burn-in should I expect these to need? And where can I buy a hard, protective travel case for them, in the US/online?  Thanks!

Nice move!  You should consider 60 - 100 hours of upgrade time for the new headphones.  Did the pair of RS2i headphones in the store have some hours on them?

May 7, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #594 of 65,724

Quote:
Nice move!  You should consider 60 - 100 hours of upgrade time for the new headphones.  Did the pair of RS2i headphones in the store have some hours on them?

Nope, brand new. The demo pair he let me try were fresh out of the box, too. He did say of course, they'd be a bit cold right out of the box as we all know! 

May 7, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #595 of 65,724
yea.....I don't really believe in burn in, so far my sr80i's sounded the exactly the same out of box as they did 6months later with about 200+ hours on them, same with my ultrasones, and HD-25's. My RS-2 were the floor model and the vintage*with button* so they had some hours on so I couldn't judge but they sounded very close to the RS-21's that were fresh out of the box*tried both* the only difference was the RS-2i's were a little more peaked in the treble and a little less warm.

May 7, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #596 of 65,724
As I said, everything I have read and heard points to the 325i's as being the best audiophile-quality value for the dollar; naturally, there a divergent opinions. Nothing is ever unanimous, especially with regard to audio preferences...

That being said, there are many sources of opinion and information available around the web. Reviews on Amazon rave about the 325's, and reviews at Headphonia and other blog-type sites are complimentary as well. Since I enjoy the 80i's so much, I'm hoping that my own experience with an upgrade to the 325i's is as positive as those I've read about.

But I respect your opinion and I'm grateful that you took the time to share it. Your comments will be a part of the process as I decide whether or not to take the plunge. And if I agree with your sentiments, I'll happily say so...

May 7, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #598 of 65,724

Quote:
Congratulations to Curly and rbf on their new Grado's.

In celebration of your new gear, Reverend Peyton and His Damn Band say Clap Your Hands.

Ha!  Haven't heard them in years!

Yes, I'm extremely pleased with the performance of the HF-2 and truly wish I could keep them.  If I did, they would do little besides be displayed on an end table in my living room.  With an Edition 8 on the way, I'd be literally leaving hundreds of dollars on the table... and these deserve to be heard, dammit! :wink:

May 8, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #599 of 65,724

Quote:
As I said, everything I have read and heard points to the 325i's as being the best audiophile-quality value for the dollar; naturally, there a divergent opinions. Nothing is ever unanimous, especially with regard to audio preferences...

That being said, there are many sources of opinion and information available around the web. Reviews on Amazon rave about the 325's, and reviews at Headphonia and other blog-type sites are complimentary as well. Since I enjoy the 80i's so much, I'm hoping that my own experience with an upgrade to the 325i's is as positive as those I've read about.

But I respect your opinion and I'm grateful that you took the time to share it. Your comments will be a part of the process as I decide whether or not to take the plunge. And if I agree with your sentiments, I'll happily say so...

I'm also of this same mindset.  However, from many of my readings, many people have claimed that they have have heard varying sounds from the Grados - even from the same model itself.  Sure, Grados may not be the cup of tea for everyone, nor may the SR325 / SR325i models.  However, they are what they are.  In my experience a few months ago, I purchased a pair of SR325i "Goldies" used.  I liked them - I really did.  However, then a pair of modified SR225s came into my life and "wow" the standard SR325i couldn't keep up.  But, I just had Grado install new drivers and a cable on my SR325i "Goldies" which I received back this week.  All I can say is "wow" for the SR325i at this point.  I'm not sure exactly what changed - or, changed so radically.  I guess the newer drivers vs. those that were nearing 5 years old were that much different.  In fact, in their "stock" posture as they are right now, my SR325i headphones are nothing short of impressive.  At $299 (MSRP U.S. $$), I think they are quite a bargain.

May 9, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #600 of 65,724
So, by the end of the week, in my possession I will have 325i Goldies, brand new RS-2i's and HF-2's. I just recieved my Arrow amp (3G) and ordered a Little Dot 1+. I think the Goldies are going up for sale today, but I will be choosing between the RS-2i and HF-2 to keep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back