Grado Fan Club!
May 10, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #616 of 66,231

Quote:
Ugh, I'm already having a hard time between the RS2-i's and 325i's. Sometimes I'm just in need of a more airy, crisp feel for the R, while sometimes I need a bit more warmth in the 325, lol.

What a dilemma, and your getting HF2's as well?

I think Curly is probably right the HF2's are going to be hard to part with, they really are an awesome set of headphones. Listening to some Ronnie Earl on mine before I head off to work here in a minute.

And congratulations to Cloud on his new aquisition...happy listening!

May 10, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #617 of 66,231

Quote:
What a dilemma, and your getting HF2's as well?

I think Curly is probably right the HF2's are going to be hard to part with, they really are an awesome set of headphones. Listening to some Ronnie Earl on mine before I head off to work here in a minute.

And congratulations to Cloud on his new aquisition...happy listening!

Which Grados have you heard? Do people tend to keep the HF-2 cause it's limited, or because it's truly "better" than RS2/i and 325s?

Also, OT, but if I use a Sansa Clip to a portable amp, do I just go headphone out to the amp, or is there a way to make it a lineout?

May 10, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #619 of 66,231

Quote:
Which Grados have you heard? Do people tend to keep the HF-2 cause it's limited, or because it's truly "better" than RS2/i and 325s?

Also, OT, but if I use a Sansa Clip to a portable amp, do I just go headphone out to the amp, or is there a way to make it a lineout?

I tried the HF-2 and LOVED them, but sadly they were out of my budget, then I tried the 325is and was like WOAH, these arnt much different, a little less reveling but a little more fun, then I tried the RS-2*vintage* and my face proceded to mealt off. I also put some time on the RS-1i and was a little shocked on how similar they sounded ot the RS-2, IMO you wont be missing much if you get the RS-2 over the RS-1, the 1 were a bit brighter and had a bit more soundstage*mostlikely due to the LONGER wooden cups* but the quality of bass and the super rich and engaging mids were present on both, the RS-2 are a bit more warm then the RS-1 but I feel it was really a toss up for me atleast.

May 10, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #620 of 66,231
I've heard the SR60i, 225i, MS2i and HF2. Three of the four I currently own and the best stock Grado is the HF2. However I just recently removed a good deal of plastic from my SR60 and replaced the plastic parts with wood and it sounds incredible. I plan on improving the cosmetics of this one and then giving the 225 the same treatment. 

As far as the Clip goes you need to amp it through the headphone out. The headphone out on the Clip is pretty good in my estimation though, and adding an amp to the equation just defeats the design of the Clip IMO. I just got some IEM's not to long ago and they came with this case, so now my entire portable rig fits right in my pocket.

May 11, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #621 of 66,231
May 11, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #622 of 66,231
Cee-Tee, seeing as you have both the RS2i and HF-2 can you talk about the differences you hear between them? Have you heard the RS1i, by any chance?

May 11, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #623 of 66,231
Anyone with the HF-2/RS2i with a Little Dot 1+, mind listing the opamps/tubes you use? I'm awaiting my LD and want to order some upgrades.

May 12, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #624 of 66,231
It's late, I put bowls on both to do a quick check to confirm.  Ran both out of Benchmark.

In comparison with the RS2i, the HF-2 hits lower and with more impact.  Recesses the midrange a bit though (vocals, etc.).  An even higher treble frequency peak- shimmers at "tss-tss-tss" percussive transients more in a narrower band up top.

The RS2i rolls off at lower bass frequencies but doesn't really feel lacking except for the very low hit that I know I can get with electronic music and the HF-2.  The RS2i connects the midrange better and also connects the upper midrange and lower treble better to me though.

I describe the HF-2 as a bit "Heath Ledger Joker smile-sounding" in comparison- tipping up the more extreme ends.  The RS2i is more "natural" than the HF-2 for me and I reach for them more.  The RS2i are plenty lush and exciting.  For some electronic music or for a different presentation, the HF-2 bring a big grin and presentation though and I don't want to sell them either!

Only briefly heard the RS1 a long time ago and not in direct comparison so I can't comment but I did get to spend a few days with the Alessandro MS-Pro.  There was a peak or bump somewhere (maybe around 600hz?  dunno if there are graphs around) that the RS2i didn't have and that actually gave the MS-Pro a bit of harshness (?...too harsh a word) that I didn't like as much as the RS2i.  So, regardless of price I prefer the RS2i to the MS-Pro in direct comparison (performed about a month ago).

If you forced me to choose between RS2i and HF-2, I think I would have to keep the RS2i.   (Shhhh, I don't want my HF-2 to find out!)   

Quote:
Cee-Tee, seeing as you have both the RS2i and HF-2 can you talk about the differences you hear between them? Have you heard the RS1i, by any chance?

May 26, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #625 of 66,231

Quote:
so seem's WJE is hot on Your tail for these and I don't blame Him.

Yes, that is correct.  The transaction was handled today.  Upon receiving them, I'll be comparing them to the "others": SR-225 "woodies" modified by Bilavideo and my stock pair of SR-325i "Goldies".   I could compare them to my stock SR-60 Grados, but I already know that answer to that question.  Plus, I've willed my SR-60 Grados to my daughter for her use - she's happy with them.

May 26, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #626 of 66,231

Quote:
Yes, that is correct.  The transaction was handled today.  Upon receiving them, I'll be comparing them to the "others": SR-225 "woodies" modified by Bilavideo and my stock pair of SR-325i "Goldies".   I could compare them to my stock SR-60 Grados, but I already know that answer to that question.  Plus, I've willed my SR-60 Grados to my daughter for her use - she's happy with them.

That's great new's for You, not so good for Me 
frown.gif
. I truly hope You enjoy them, let Me know how they sound and feel affter Your comparison's if You get a chance. It's nice that Your passing on Your passion to Your daughter, that's awesome.

May 26, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #627 of 66,231

Quote:
That's great new's for You, not so good for Me 
frown.gif
. I truly hope You enjoy them, let Me know how they sound and feel affter Your comparison's if You get a chance. It's nice that Your passing on Your passion to Your daughter, that's awesome.

Trust me, I've timed the purchases of my last 3 Grado headphones just right.   I'm not on the board 24/7, either.  I guess it's just a matter of when I visit.  Not much gets posted for sale during the day - but, things happen at night.

I'll be sure and post some impressions.  

May 27, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #628 of 66,231

Quote:
Trust me, I've timed the purchases of my last 3 Grado headphones just right.   I'm not on the board 24/7, either.  I guess it's just a matter of when I visit.  Not much gets posted for sale during the day - but, things happen at night.

I'll be looking foward to it, till then enjoy!

May 27, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #629 of 66,231

Quote:

Which Grado's have you went for wje? I'm excited for you!
popcorn.gif

May 27, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #630 of 66,231

Quote:
Which Grado's have you went for wje? I'm excited for you!
popcorn.gif

The following 3 Grados:

SR-225 "woodies" with upgraded cable and connector.  I located these for sale on this forum.
SR-325i "Goldies".  I located these locally on Craigslist in my area.  You'd die if you found out how little I paid for them.
SR-225i "woodies" that were posted a few days back on these forums from a custom builder.  He can't sell for profit on the forums, so he was selling them for the cost of a pair of SR-225i Grados.

Finally, I have my 5 y.o. pair of SR-60 Grados.  No mods performed.  They are used by my daughter.  I'll post pics of my Grados when the new ones arrive. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back