Grado Fan Club!
Jul 5, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #646 of 66,261
I'm still trying to decide whether or not to keep the RS1i I just picked up. So far I really need to listen to tell the difference between it and the MS2i. Mids and trebles are a bit clearer but I think the MS2i has fuller bass. Although I think the mids/trebles sound clearer because the RS1i is more forward at those levels. Not sure if it's worth the price difference to keep the RS1i. May just return it and use half the amount to Magnumize the MS2i.

Jul 5, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #647 of 66,261

Quote:
I'm still trying to decide whether or not to keep the RS1i I just picked up. So far I really need to listen to tell the difference between it and the MS2i. Mids and trebles are a bit clearer but I think the MS2i has fuller bass. Although I think the mids/trebles sound clearer because the RS1i is more forward at those levels. Not sure if it's worth the price difference to keep the RS1i. May just return it and use half the amount to Magnumize the MS2i.

How much break-in time do you have on those RS-1i Grados?  I'd hook them up to some constant music when you're not listening to them yourself - get those drivers in shape.

Jul 5, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #648 of 66,261
Probably only around 30 hours of break-in. Unfortunately I can't leave them on during the day cause my parents complain so I can only do it at night. =p

Jul 5, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #649 of 66,261

Quote:

personally after hearing the magnum mod (carbon fiber cup too) at a meet, they seemed a bit too bassy, maybe even a little bloated

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #650 of 66,261

Quote:

Rather than the magnum mod have you thought about a wooden inner for your MS2?

Also you can woody a plastic Grado and mod it up. It may sound like an RS1 or not depending on the wood you choose, but it will sound reeeeeel gooood
biggrin.gif

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #651 of 66,261
Which part is the inner? The part that the pads stretch over? Wouldn't that make it like the HF2? Does anyone out there do those mods by request cause I don't think I'd trust myself to do it. =)

Quote:
Rather than the magnum mod have you thought about a wooden inner for your MS2?

Also you can woody a plastic Grado and mod it up. It may sound like an RS1 or not depending on the wood you choose, but it will sound reeeeeel gooood
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #652 of 66,261

Quote:

Congratulations!  While the DAC/amp will bring them to life, so will some modifications.  Be careful - it's addictive.

Just tried the tape mod- very noticable. Now I'm starting to realize how much I adore the bright Grado sound. 

Someday I really want to get some nice wood cups and a rewire, but until then these little mods will definitely hold me over haha. 

Jul 6, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #653 of 66,261

Quote:
Which part is the inner? The part that the pads stretch over? Wouldn't that make it like the HF2? Does anyone out there do those mods by request cause I don't think I'd trust myself to do it. =)

You have it exactly right, the inner is the part the pads stretch over. The same part that gets replaced in the magnum mod, and yeah theoretically a wooden driver housing (inner) would make it just like or very similar anyway to an HF2. As far as getting someone to do the mods it's not as hard as it seems. You just have to get past the fear that your going to mess something up. You will have to find someone to make you some new driver housings though.

Jul 6, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #654 of 66,261
I just found the headphile.com site. I may just have to hide my wallet. =p

Quote:
You have it exactly right, the inner is the part the pads stretch over. The same part that gets replaced in the magnum mod, and yeah theoretically a wooden driver housing (inner) would make it just like or very similar anyway to an HF2. As far as getting someone to do the mods it's not as hard as it seems. You just have to get past the fear that your going to mess something up. You will have to find someone to make you some new driver housings though.

Jul 6, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #655 of 66,261
deleted

Jul 6, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #656 of 66,261

Quote:
I just got my SR80i's today. Now I know why people love them so much... At half the price of my HD600s they completely trump them in terms of 'fun' factor 
biggrin.gif
 they sound amazing with metal. I can see myself sticking to Grados for a while 
o2smile.gif
 (they even sound great out of my FiiO E7!)

WEIRD RIGHT?!!! I have the HD580 just to impress guests that come over now... tucked away in their pizza boxes are the evil plastic cans of death. I seriously store my unused/old Grados like books.

Quote:
I just found the headphile.com site. I may just have to hide my wallet. =p

Mlatanen (Marty) is quite easier to get a hold of and I believe his prices are quite fair for the work he does!

Jul 6, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #657 of 66,261

I just got my SR80i's today. Now I know why people love them so much... At half the price of my HD600s they completely trump them in terms of 'fun' factor 
biggrin.gif
o2smile.gif

For approximately the same money, one should not overlook the Alessandro MS-1i.  They are $109.99 (shipped free) from Alessandro.  They are made by Grado and a revised version of the 60/80/125 series. 

I'm using a pair with some simple wooden cups, the vent mods, a cable mod and Dynamat.  Quite an outstanding headphone for the price!

Jul 6, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #658 of 66,261

Quote:

biggrin.gif
o2smile.gif

For approximately the same money, one should not overlook the Alessandro MS-1i.  They are $109.99 (shipped free) from Alessandro.  They are made by Grado and a revised version of the 60/80/125 series. 

I'm using a pair with some simple wooden cups, the vent mods, a cable mod and Dynamat.  Quite an outstanding headphone for the price!

I tried the MS-1i to the SR80i in the shop and I preferred the 80s. Personal preference I guess? 
wink.gif

Jul 6, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #659 of 66,261
I'm posting this here, thinking it might get some pertinent views. With the SR60 Mod thread locked and pending deletion due to heavy MOT violations, we risk losing one of the largest sources of info ever on the Grado Prestige series. I'm hoping some others are willing to help me in making some wiki articles to save some of the more important and helpful information for future reference. I will crosspost this in the "Grado Fan Club" thread.

Again, I don't want to debate whether it should/should not have been locked, I mearly want to protect/save the information present, so the modding can continue, and the Grado jams can keep pumpin'

Link to locked thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/508459/sr60-mod/4995

Just post a wiki or few on a couple of mods, and post the links to them in the overview wiki: http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/grado-modification-overview, or add some general information (differences, issues and solutions, etc) to the overview page.

Further discussion on the topic of the wiki can continue here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/561540/grado-mod-archival-project#post_7589505

Jul 11, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #660 of 66,261
my alessandro ms1 arrived. add me to the grado fanclub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back