Grado Fan Club!
Oct 30, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #63,076 of 65,788
…. how is the comparison between GH2 and GH4? Which you like more?
• I own both GH2 and GH4. With these, I use TTVJ Deluxe Flats (F-pads), Nyczaj Audio gimbal/rod assemblies, Turbulent Labs headbands.
• Sound? Both are very well balanced, of even tone and extended frequency range, portray a spacious soundstage with excellent detail. In these regards, GH2 and GH4 are quite similar.
• To me, the primary differences are in the onset and decay of notes/chords. GH2 has ‘quicker’ onset / decay; the onset / decay in GH4 sound ‘lingers’ a bit. Is this bad? Not to my thinking. It is analogous to the acoustics of a music venue varying with seat / table location.
• These differences, I believe, are due to the relative hardness of Cocobolo wood in GH2 versus the relative softness of Norwegian Pine in GH4.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #63,077 of 65,788
Very interesting, thanks for this post!

Which earpads I need, If I want boost the Lows/Bass? :)

And: Isn’t it common to adjust the EQ individually on the GH4, right?

Cheers!

For boosting bass you can try one of the aftermarket fabric earpad options, like Nyczaj, Dekoni or Beautiful Audio, frequency response curves for them are also present on the graph from my previous post. Fabric covered earpads create a more sealed acoustic chamber between the headphone driver and your ear resulting in audibly more bass. On top of that they're generally much more comfortable than stock foam pads. Be careful though, too much bass might veil the higher frequencies resulting the sound of the headphones to become muffled or muddy - because of this leather pads are generally not recommended for Grado's.

And yes, you can also get similar effects using the digital EQ, but you'll be missing out on the comfort aspect. I use fabric pads for all my Grado's because the stock foams hurt my ears when I use them for too long :sweat_smile:

Oct 30, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #63,078 of 65,788
• I own both GH2 and GH4. With these, I use TTVJ Deluxe Flats (F-pads), Nyczaj Audio gimbal/rod assemblies, Turbulent Labs headbands.
• Sound? Both are very well balanced, of even tone and extended frequency range, portray a spacious soundstage with excellent detail. In these regards, GH2 and GH4 are quite similar.
• To me, the primary differences are in the onset and decay of notes/chords. GH2 has ‘quicker’ onset / decay; the onset / decay in GH4 sound ‘lingers’ a bit. Is this bad? Not to my thinking. It is analogous to the acoustics of a music venue varying with seat / table location.
• These differences, I believe, are due to the relative hardness of Cocobolo wood in GH2 versus the relative softness of Norwegian Pine in GH4.

Awesome, thanks for the detailed answer! One more question: Do you also use a EQ for your GH4?

Oct 30, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #63,079 of 65,788
For boosting bass you can try one of the aftermarket fabric earpad options, like Nyczaj, Dekoni or Beautiful Audio, frequency response curves for them are also present on the graph from my previous post. Fabric covered earpads create a more sealed acoustic chamber between the headphone driver and your ear resulting in audibly more bass. On top of that they're generally much more comfortable than stock foam pads. Be careful though, too much bass might veil the higher frequencies resulting the sound of the headphones to become muffled or muddy - because of this leather pads are generally not recommended for Grado's.

And yes, you can also get similar effects using the digital EQ, but you'll be missing out on the comfort aspect. I use fabric pads for all my Grado's because the stock foams hurt my ears when I use them for too long :sweat_smile:

Excellent answer, thanks a lot! I will try it out! :)

Oct 30, 2023 at 8:49 PM Post #63,080 of 65,788
Awesome, thanks for the detailed answer! One more question: Do you also use a EQ for your GH4?
I do not use electronic EQ. A change of headphone, if need be, is the EQ 🙂.

Oct 30, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #63,082 of 65,788
I understand this. But with my BD T5 for example when Im using a EQ, it sounds def. better! So why not I guess
You say: “why not?”, I say: “why?” … headphone audio a/k/a personal audio … 🤷🏻‍♂️

Oct 31, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #63,084 of 65,788
I do not use electronic EQ. A change of headphone, if need be, is the EQ 🙂.
In days long past I had a collection of phono cartridges. While making compilation tapes I would use the cartridges as an EQ. I got to really know theIr characteristics.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #63,085 of 65,788
I have the chance to get a used PS500 (mint condition) for 285€ (which is a fair price IMO). I still own a PS500e and love it as "Grado all-rounder" with a little bit more bass, compared to all the other RS and SR models. I prefer listening to it with the large G pads.
Nevertheless, I'm curious whether it will sound as different as the "e" successor. Anyone here who know both and could describe the differences a little bit.
I plan to modify the PS500 a little bit, with the Gimbals and Rodblocks from Nyczaj and a modular cable.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #63,086 of 65,788
Hi fellow grado fans, my beloved grado gs3000e 's drivers, left and right got loosen out from their wooden cups. It doesn't affect usage as the drivers stay in place when the pads are on the cups. But once the pads are removed, the drivers will get off the cups, dangling. How to repair this issue? Is it a common issue with grado headphones? I can live with it but can't help feeling uneasy.

Oct 31, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #63,087 of 65,788
Grado uses glue. You could try gluing it back in yourself, but then you'll void any future authorized service. Grado charges a flat fee of $300 for GS3000e service. (I got my drivers replaced a year ago.)

Oct 31, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #63,088 of 65,788
Hi fellow grado fans, my beloved grado gs3000e 's drivers, left and right got loosen out from their wooden cups. It doesn't affect usage as the drivers stay in place when the pads are on the cups. But once the pads are removed, the drivers will get off the cups, dangling. How to repair this issue? Is it a common issue with grado headphones? I can live with it but can't help feeling uneasy.
Gorilla wood glue is great for this. For more precise application I suggest using a glue syringe like this: https://www.amazon.com/Syringe-Plunger-Needle-Applicator-Modeling/dp/B001N1HEUO
Remove the pads, place the cups flat on the table, put the drivers in, and apply small amounts of glue around the edges. Then leave for around 30 minutes. Inspect and if needed apply more glue, then leave them to dry overnight and that should do it.

Nevertheless, I'm curious whether it will sound as different as the "e" successor. Anyone here who know both and could describe the differences a little bit.
I plan to modify the PS500 a little bit, with the Gimbals and Rodblocks from Nyczaj and a modular cable.
I am also curious about this! I own PS500 and I'm interested in how PS500e sounds :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Nyczaj metal gimbals work great with them BTW!

Oct 31, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #63,089 of 65,788
You could reseat them in a small amount of Blu Tack.

Oct 31, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #63,090 of 65,788
thanks all for your tips , i will try the gorilla glue to fix the problem.

Btw just to share my experience on my latest addition to my grado collection- Grado RS2X

RS2X needs a long time to burn in. Initially it was lean and hard sounding but later it gradually softened up and gained musicality over time. Now RS2x sounds almost as enjoyable as my GS3000e at less than half the price and its tonal balance/Speed reminds me of STAX lambda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back