Grado Fan Club!
Oct 29, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #63,061 of 65,788
Thank you for the advice, unfortunately at the moment the RS1X is sold at a price that is too high here in Italy, while I would be able to get the RS2X at a price consistent with the US market.

One more question: can an SR325X and a Hemp with L pad sound similar to an RS2X?
The L pads of the SR225 that I owned in the past, despite the pain they caused me after about 1 hour, they allowed me to enjoy an excellent headstage, while the S and F pads perhaps improve the sound balance but in my opinion they kill the headstage.
I have the SR325x and RS2x they are not similar at all.

For what you are describing the RS2x is good, but very different from RS2e

Personally I really enjoy the RS2x much more than RS2e

RS2x is just so easy to listen to in most situations

Oct 29, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #63,062 of 65,788
I have the SR325x and RS2x they are not similar at all.

For what you are describing the RS2x is good, but very different from RS2e

Personally I really enjoy the RS2x much more than RS2e

RS2x is just so easy to listen to in most situations
Agreed, the 325x wasn't for me, I admired it more than it, the RS2x I can pad roll and EQ them to enjoy all genres

Oct 29, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #63,063 of 65,788
I have the chance to buy used GH4. It would be my first Grado and NEVER listened to any Grado at all.

How much money are they currently bought/sold for? since they are limited to 1000 pieces, is it possible that they will increase in value over time or at least not lose value for many years afterwards? Thanks :)

E: Oh, and what is G and L pads? Would changing the pads improve the soundquality aswell? Thx!

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #63,064 of 65,788

I have the chance to buy used GH4. It would be my first Grado and NEVER listened to any Grado at all.

How much money are they currently bought/sold for? since they are limited to 1000 pieces, is it possible that they will increase in value over time or at least not lose value for many years afterwards? Thanks :)

E: Oh, and what is G and L pads? Would changing the pads improve the soundquality aswell? Thx!
I guess they should be about 400-600 bucks. And i don't see them losing much worth in the future as they are limited and even the non-limited Grados keep their worth quite well. I wouldn't count on making much money by buying and reselling though.

The GH4 come with L-pads, those are the foamy things that touch your ears. Don't change them, experience them as they are so you get a feel for the headphones (Grado designs the drivers to sound best with the pads that come with each headphone type). Maybe in the future you could try other pads. In my experience it's never really worth it though, others disagree.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #63,065 of 65,788
How much money are they currently bought/sold for? since they [GH4] are limited to 1000 pieces, is it possible that they will increase in value over time or at least not lose value for many years afterwards?
Not great. Typically the models that are valued above retail are legendary ones like the HP2, or some ultra rare variant like the SR300 w/Blackstar drivers, PS1, or more recently, the Oreo, of which 45 are known to exist as part of a contest. The GH4 never really got much hype.

Oct 29, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #63,066 of 65,788
I guess they should be about 400-600 bucks. And i don't see them losing much worth in the future as they are limited and even the non-limited Grados keep their worth quite well. I wouldn't count on making much money by buying and reselling though.

The GH4 come with L-pads, those are the foamy things that touch your ears. Don't change them, experience them as they are so you get a feel for the headphones (Grado designs the drivers to sound best with the pads that come with each headphone type). Maybe in the future you could try other pads. In my experience it's never really worth it though, others disagree.

Thanks an lot, will take care when checking them tomorrow. Btw how is the comparison between GH2 and GH4? Which you like more?

E: Oh and is a Qudelix 5K „good enough“ to drive the GH4? Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #63,068 of 65,788
Thanks an lot, will take care when checking them tomorrow. Btw how is the comparison between GH2 and GH4? Which you like more?

E: Oh and is a Qudelix 5K „good enough“ to drive the GH4? Thanks! :)
I only know the GH2 which got a lot of good rep on here. But there are also some GH4 fans around. For obvious reasons there aren't many reviews of the whole series. I think i once read that they all sound pretty similar. If the GH4 is anything like the GH2 then you can throw nearly any source at it and it will sound great.

Oct 30, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #63,069 of 65,788
Oh, most recently, a sealed Bushmills (2013) sold for $1000 on eBay. Not bad considering the original price was $400. That one had special display packaging and was most famously known as Grado's only semi-open headphone: the vents are just tiny slits on the side. (OK, there's also the SR40 but that one is best left to history. :relaxed:)

Bushmills-Grado-Headphones.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #63,071 of 65,788
Some Hemp to dispel the chill of a rainy, windy 45F degree day …
41A3FBAE-329A-45D5-BC17-1ACBD7FC578B.jpeg

Oct 30, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #63,073 of 65,788
I know they're plugged into the violectric, but I was pleasantly surprised how good the hemps sound with the wa6se. brought them to life
Hemp does sound great with a well-designed OTC tube h/p/a. ✅

Oct 30, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #63,074 of 65,788

Sound signature of all Grado's changes audibly with different earpads. It doesn't necessarily improve the sound quality, but allows to easily fine tune their sound to your preferences. I don't have the frequency response graphs for GH4, but I've recently measured the very similar GH2 tested with 6 different earpads, please see the graph attached.
It shows how loud the headphones reproduce certain frequencies. The graph can be divided horizontally into 3 sections: on the left side of the graph you have the lows or bass, in the middle there are, well, the mids, so vocals, guitars and similar instruments, and on the right you have the high pitched tones or treble.
Frequency response curve of the stock GH2 and GH4 L pads is colored pink and the G pads are colored green. If you change the stock L pads to G pads on GH4, you can expect to hear less bass and more treble. This will make the sound of GH4 more detailed, but also more "dry" to the lack of bass.

Attachments

• GH2.png
    GH2.png
    120.3 KB · Views: 0
Oct 30, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #63,075 of 65,788
Sound signature of all Grado's changes audibly with different earpads. It doesn't necessarily improve the sound quality, but allows to easily fine tune their sound to your preferences. I don't have the frequency response graphs for GH4, but I've recently measured the very similar GH2 tested with 6 different earpads, please see the graph attached.
It shows how loud the headphones reproduce certain frequencies. The graph can be divided horizontally into 3 sections: on the left side of the graph you have the lows or bass, in the middle there are, well, the mids, so vocals, guitars and similar instruments, and on the right you have the high pitched tones or treble.
Frequency response curve of the stock GH2 and GH4 L pads is colored pink and the G pads are colored green. If you change the stock L pads to G pads on GH4, you can expect to hear less bass and more treble. This will make the sound of GH4 more detailed, but also more "dry" to the lack of bass.

Very interesting, thanks for this post!

Which earpads I need, If I want boost the Lows/Bass? :)

And: Isn’t it common to adjust the EQ individually on the GH4, right?

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back