Grado Fan Club!
Oct 28, 2023 at 3:18 AM Post #63,047 of 65,799
Some members on this thread asked for comparison comments between the GH2 & GH4 on my part. Right now, I’m waiting for the GH2 as previously indicated. I’m reluctant to do so though, because for one thing I’m not very good at it and secondly I use EQ [Schiit Lokius w/ my BHA-1] which 99% of followers on this thread, do not.
The GH4 shouldn't need EQ; it's the best stock Grado I've heard and that's why I have mine. (It also acted as a faithful backup while my GS3000e was being repaired.) I understand if you're putting Grado G pads on it, though, as those pads cause anything not designed for them to become sibilant. I EQ my GS3000e because while its stock sound isn't unbearable, I still feel the 150hz boost and 6khz peak need to be tamed a bit.

Oct 28, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #63,048 of 65,799
The GH4 shouldn't need EQ; it's the best stock Grado I've heard and that's why I have mine. (It also acted as a faithful backup while my GS3000e was being repaired.) I understand if you're putting Grado G pads on it, though, as those pads cause anything not designed for them to become sibilant. I EQ my GS3000e because while its stock sound isn't unbearable, I still feel the 150hz boost and 6khz peak need to be tamed a bit.
Maybe not for you but I use EQ with all of my headphones. It’s a matter of personal choice and taste.

Oct 28, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #63,049 of 65,799
@daveya
Awesome! Looks like the investments paid off :smiley: They look super comfy now! Chord Mojo is great for driving Grado's too, so you're in for a lot of fun!
Btw brand of the mods is Nyczaj, but I don't blame you, eastern european names are a pain to pronounce by foreigners, so this is very common :sweat_smile:

my gear is a mobile set up and I fidget on the chair next to the gear and the stock pads and superstiff cable meant the headphones were constantly moving, and they need to be so precise on the ear , I couldn't live with the lack of comfort or being able to move about.

I feel your pain! Can't count the times my SR325e fell from my head when I was reaching for something at my desk :sweat_smile:

@BobG55
“Nobody does guitars like Grado” -Joaquin Dinero.

He was right.

Couldn't agree more! :gs1000smile:

As for EQ, pad rolling is an interesting way of doing this too, as Grado's frequency response changes audibly with different ear pads. I recently tested GH2 with 6 different pads and each pair had something else to offer.

Attachments

• GH2.png
    GH2.png
    120.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #63,050 of 65,799
@daveya
Awesome! Looks like the investments paid off :smiley: They look super comfy now! Chord Mojo is great for driving Grado's too, so you're in for a lot of fun!
Btw brand of the mods is Nyczaj, but I don't blame you, eastern european names are a pain to pronounce by foreigners, so this is very common :sweat_smile:

I feel your pain! Can't count the times I my SR325e fell from my head when I was reaching for something at my desk :sweat_smile:

@BobG55

I've bought all the official Grado pads and some aftermarket and always fiddling with them plus the Mojo2, the best being upside down comfies quarter mod, but I just keep the Nyczaj on now and fiddling with bass EQ depending on genre. But also the removal cable so good for just keeping things tidy in a small space
Couldn't agree more! :gs1000smile:

As for EQ, pad rolling is an interesting way of doing this too, as Grado's frequency response changes audibly with different ear pads. I recently tested GH2 with 6 different pads and each pair had something else to offer.

Oct 28, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #63,051 of 65,799

I use 'New York City' and 'Jazz' backwards to remember how to write that name :)

Oct 28, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #63,053 of 65,799
Newest addition:
grado 325.jpeg

Seller said it was an SR325, but due to the shape of the cups this appears to be a SR325i. From what Ive read, mushroomy cups werent introduced until i-series, and red drivers were from e-series. Anyone know? Ill update this post after I find some more info. This has red drivers. These have 1/4” plug. Perhaps they are early production e-series drivers in i-series bodies. ??

======

Looks like an i-series with e-drivers. The last run of i-series Grado were installed with e-drivers.
https://headfonics.com/grado-goes-e-an-interview-with-jonathan-grado/2/

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #63,054 of 65,799
Long time lurker, upgrading from my SR60 which I still love, but those cables... GW100's sound good right out of the box, they're settling down and I think I'll enjoy them very much.

IMG_3481.jpg

IMG_3470.JPG
I had really wanted a wireless Grado and about three months ago I got the GW100X which from the reviews seemed to be good.

Once the package arrived and when removed from the box they gave off a terrible smell of petrol, the smell was nauseating for me and as the days went by it showed no signs of disappearing.

but the worst for me came at the moment of listening, I didn't like the sound at all and the more I listened to them the more I couldn't get used to their boxed sound, so I returned them without any remorse.

In around 2005 I owned an SR225 that I liked and by purchasing this GW100X I wanted to find that Grado sound that I had left behind but I was completely disappointed.

Now I ask, how much is it worth trying again by purchasing a wired model such as an SR325X or a Hemp if the signature of the GW100X didn't do it for me?
Is the signature of the GW100X that different from the wired models or is it similar?
if so, I really don't want to know about the X series.

Oct 28, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #63,055 of 65,799
I had really wanted a wireless Grado and about three months ago I got the GW100X which from the reviews seemed to be good.

Once the package arrived and when removed from the box they gave off a terrible smell of petrol, the smell was nauseating for me and as the days went by it showed no signs of disappearing.

but the worst for me came at the moment of listening, I didn't like the sound at all and the more I listened to them the more I couldn't get used to their boxed sound, so I returned them without any remorse.

In around 2005 I owned an SR225 that I liked and by purchasing this GW100X I wanted to find that Grado sound that I had left behind but I was completely disappointed.

Now I ask, how much is it worth trying again by purchasing a wired model such as an SR325X or a Hemp if the signature of the GW100X didn't do it for me?
Is the signature of the GW100X that different from the wired models or is it similar?
if so, I really don't want to know about the X series.
Well I'm not expert on the "Grado Sound" but I do not think the GW100x sound like the SR60's but I kind of knew this going into my purchase. These are made in china whereas all other Grados are made in Brooklyn. But from what I read the GW100x did go thru about 4 revisions since initial release so the sound may have changed since then.

I did not notice any smell from my headphones though.

Oct 28, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #63,056 of 65,799
Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 2:55 AM Post #63,057 of 65,799
Not certain about the GW100X, but I read the GW100 sounded different when it was wireless compared to wired. The wireless mode had some automatic EQ applied to it. I couldn't tell you which was better because I never demoed one myself.

If that's the sound you want, then none of the x-series (2021-present) models may satisfy you, as the tuning has changed. No Prestige X models use the L pads (which the SR225 used) anymore. You may need to look into buying a used i-series (2006-13) or e-series (2014-20) model.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #63,058 of 65,799
Well I'm not expert on the "Grado Sound" but I do not think the GW100x sound like the SR60's but I kind of knew this going into my purchase. These are made in china whereas all other Grados are made in Brooklyn. But from what I read the GW100x did go thru about 4 revisions since initial release so the sound may have changed since then.

I did not notice any smell from my headphones though.

It's true, they are made in China, it was clearly written on the packaging and I imagined that was also the problem with that horrible smell, typical of products made in China which I also found in their other products, but this time it was even more amplified.

Not certain about the GW100X, but I read the GW100 sounded different when it was wireless compared to wired. The wireless mode had some automatic EQ applied to it. I couldn't tell you which was better because I never demoed one myself.

I was aware of this thing but even wired with an ADI-2 DAC the sound remained unchanged, probably the feature of the GW100 was not applied to the new GW100X

If that's the sound you want, then none of the x-series (2021-present) models may satisfy you, as the tuning has changed. No Prestige X models use the L pads (which the SR225 used) anymore. You may need to look into buying a used i-series (2006-13) or e-series (2014-20) model.

Unfortunately I have the bad flaw of not wanting to buy used and being able to find a brand new E series or even I/IS series today is almost impossible.
I read that the only model that still maintains the old Grado sound is the RS2X and to a certain extent the RS1X, do you confirm this?

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #63,059 of 65,799
I read that the only model that still maintains the old Grado sound is the RS2X and to a certain extent the RS1X, do you confirm this?
I'd say it's the GS1000x because the stock tuning isn't as weighty as the rest, and reminded me of a less grainy GS2000e. The cup is half-mahogany which was the primary wood in previous generations. None of the other x-series models use mahogany. Note that the G pads may present a bit of sibilance.

The RS2x is alright, but it still has the 44mm x-series driver, and only sounds less congested than the Prestige x models because it's using L pads. However, even with the L pads, the clarity was still underwhelming when compared against my GH4, the last 44mm e-series model, and the RS2e.

The RS1x sounds very different because it's designed the same way as the RS1e: 50mm x-series driver and L pads in a smaller cup. The RS1x is a model you should demo instead of buying blind.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #63,060 of 65,799
I'd say it's the GS1000x because the stock tuning isn't as weighty as the rest, and reminded me of a less grainy GS2000e. The cup is half-mahogany which was the primary wood in previous generations. None of the other x-series models use mahogany. Note that the G pads may present a bit of sibilance.

The RS2x is alright, but it still has the 44mm x-series driver, and only sounds less congested than the Prestige x models because it's using L pads. However, even with the L pads, the clarity was still underwhelming when compared against my GH4, the last 44mm e-series model, and the RS2e.

The RS1x sounds very different because it's designed the same way as the RS1e: 50mm x-series driver and L pads in a smaller cup. The RS1x is a model you should demo instead of buying blind.
Thank you for the advice, unfortunately at the moment the RS1X is sold at a price that is too high here in Italy, while I would be able to get the RS2X at a price consistent with the US market.

One more question: can an SR325X and a Hemp with L pad sound similar to an RS2X?
The L pads of the SR225 that I owned in the past, despite the pain they caused me after about 1 hour, they allowed me to enjoy an excellent headstage, while the S and F pads perhaps improve the sound balance but in my opinion they kill the headstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back