Grado Fan Club!
Jun 26, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #54,106 of 65,841
Seeing your mod work first hand in the past, I am rooting for you in this cable mod project!! :ksc75smile:
After my 325x drama I'm also rooting.. and a bit of trepidation for myself with any work at the moment lol .. I am thinking of buying a chord mojo2 so I will adapt mine to multi connector ...325x still worries me though after the drama.

Jun 26, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #54,107 of 65,841
Anyone have any good reviews of the RS1x they can point me to besides the one from avforums? On the fence about buying a pair. Not sure if it's worth the price considering I own the Hemps already.

Has anyone here gone from the Hemps to the RS1x? If so, how did you like it and was it a noticeable upgrade? I love my Hemps (their my daily driver headphones) but want something a tad more detailed and resolving than the Hemps if I'm going to upgrade and am curious what the new 50mm drive improves.

Jun 26, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #54,108 of 65,841
I bought an XS, listened to it for about a week and a half, then returned it and bought an RS1x.

The XS is a fine headphone and spectacular bargain for the price - I can't see anyone arguing against that. But in my case, it didn't do anything that much better than my existing collection of closed back cans. That is why I returned it.

Compared to the RS1x, the XS has much better bass - both in quantity of sub bass and in impact. But I found it a tad dry and found its soundstage to be large, but flat.
In contrast, the RS1x has an even larger, more layered soundstage with greater depth. The RS1x also has more emphasis on the midrange - which really makes most recordings sing. Its overall realism in the midrange is what seals the deal for me with the RS1x.

Note that the XS is more comfortable, with its oval cups though. Whereas, it takes a lot of adjusting and futzing to make the RS1x comfortable - but I think you know that already.
Thanks TheRealDz. Great to hear you enjoy the RS1x. I’m usually very picky and will keep trying one till I’m happy. But these, I’m very happy with already. Been listening and everything you say is true. The ear cups don’t bother me too much but I’ll be testing new ones.

Jun 26, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #54,110 of 65,841
Today I gently ran my finger over the button that says left (L) and right (R) on my 325x and the white came out as if painted with chalk. Anyone gone through this? On my 80e they are metallic gray and never peeled, it's like new after over 5 years. Grado drama of the day. :smile_phones:
My old pair did exactly the same.... Not great but it could be far worse, excellent cans.

Jun 26, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #54,111 of 65,841
My old pair did exactly the same.... Not great but it could be far worse, excellent cans.

Glad to know I'm not alone. Don't touch it in your new pair! Haha.

For sure, excellent can. Just wish I could use it all day as I can with my 80e. That's why I`m going for the 80x in my next. Work and listen all day at work.

Jun 26, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #54,112 of 65,841

For sure, excellent can. Just wish I could use it all day as I can with my 80e. That's why I`m going for the 80x in my next. Work and listen all day at work.
Listen too much —> you get canned !! 🤣😖👎

Jun 26, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #54,113 of 65,841

80x are awesome , il be interested to know how you feel they compare when you get them...I love using mine round the house with ru6.

Jun 26, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #54,114 of 65,841
Anyone have any good reviews of the RS1x they can point me to besides the one from avforums? On the fence about buying a pair. Not sure if it's worth the price considering I own the Hemps already.

Has anyone here gone from the Hemps to the RS1x? If so, how did you like it and was it a noticeable upgrade? I love my Hemps (their my daily driver headphones) but want something a tad more detailed and resolving than the Hemps if I'm going to upgrade and am curious what the new 50mm drive improves.
I have the same question. I have Hemps and looking for next Grado that would sound different: RS1x, 325e or 325x?

Jun 26, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #54,115 of 65,841
I have the same question. I have Hemps and looking for next Grado that would sound different: RS1x, 325e or 325x?

I feel like anything in the SR line is going to be a step backwards. Since I got my Hemps, I never really listened to my SR225e anymore. Still rarely pull out my PS500e but not super often. The Hemps are great all arounders for listening to music for me. They're mostly the sound I want, but I'd move up further for better detail, resolving, and soundstage.

Would love to know how the Hemps specifically compare to the RS1x. Maybe the RS2x as well, but I can't imagine that one would be a big jump up from the Hemp with a smaller driver and the same wood composition the Hemp uses.

Jun 26, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #54,116 of 65,841
I feel like anything in the SR line is going to be a step backwards. Since I got my Hemps, I never really listened to my SR225e anymore. Still rarely pull out my PS500e but not super often. The Hemps are great all arounders for listening to music for me. They're mostly the sound I want, but I'd move up further for better detail, resolving, and soundstage.

Would love to know how the Hemps specifically compare to the RS1x. Maybe the RS2x as well, but I can't imagine that one would be a big jump up from the Hemp with a smaller driver and the same wood composition the Hemp uses.
Could be. But sometimes step up doesn't mean "better", for example: HD8xx are technically better than HD650, but they are so different and I must to have both for different music types and moods. So maybe 325e is not better than Hemps, but still worth to be in my collection. IDK.

Jun 26, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #54,117 of 65,841
Could be. But sometimes step up doesn't mean "better", for example: HD8xx are technically better than HD650, but they are so different and I must to have both for different music types and moods. So maybe 325e is not better than Hemps, but still worth to be in my collection. IDK.

The 325e is very different from the hemp. It’s classic grado. Bright and in your face. I have both and personally love it, it counters the hemp nicely. Others will have to speak about the other models available.

Jun 26, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #54,118 of 65,841

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/grado-fan-club.530965/post-17020456

Jun 26, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #54,119 of 65,841
Jun 27, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #54,120 of 65,841
what's the consensus on the different types of pads / foams and also custom housings are the worth the extra in sound quality or mainly just for the looks.

I personally always use the original pads with just one exception, with the Grado GH series I sometimes use the (still original Grado) G pads instead of the stock L pads.
I want the original sound of the headphones which involves the original pads.
Changing the pads usually means changing the sound which in my opinion is not desirable with Grado headphones.
Others may have different opinions of course.
Grado offers a lot of different housings in their different headphone series. if you are not on a budget it should be easy to find one which you like from the looks.
The cheaper models may win from changing the housing but I think there is no need to change the housing for the higher models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back