Grado Fan Club!
Jun 27, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #54,136 of 66,292
Measurements says 500e is most bassy

It's been a while since I listened to my 500e. So possibly. The Hemp's subbass is really good though without overdoing it. Feels the most refined. And the Hemps sound more detailed to me than the 500e.
Hemp have more mid bass , ps500e more sub bass to my ears and 325x sub bass is the best , you really feel it!
Ps500e is more detailed and resolving than both IMO

Jun 27, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #54,137 of 66,292
I'm thinking about replacing the Lehmann Rhinelander in my FM listening station with a small form factor Schiit amp: Vali 2+, Magni 3+, Magni Heresy or a used older Magni. I don't have enough volume range control with the Rhinelander, even on the low gain jumper setting. Something a bit warmer might nice, though I'm not sure I want to venture into the tube arena again as I wasn't happy with my previous Little Dot.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #54,138 of 66,292
Hemp are fantastic cans and definitely the smoothest grado I own with a slightly more bodied sound. these really don't do much wrong.
Ps 500e resolve a lot more detail IMO...you really hear more detail and spacial queues , imaging is better ... are they better can's than the hemp?
Depends what you like and want really, some wouldn't like the treble on them as it can be clinical with some pairings, I'm pairing with r2r though and on the cayin its lovely...
I personally think they both are very good at doing what they do but out of the two if I had to choose only one to keep it would be ps500e but I wouldn't want that choice .

Edit. and tried to make it but at the moment I kept the hemp, lovely cans.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #54,139 of 66,292
I'm thinking about replacing the Lehmann Rhinelander in my FM listening station with a small form factor Schiit amp: Vali 2+, Magni 3+, Magni Heresy or a used older Magni. I don't have enough volume range control with the Rhinelander, even on the low gain jumper setting. Something a bit warmer might nice, though I'm not sure I want to venture into the tube arena again as I wasn't happy with my previous Little Dot.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
I'm thinking of trying hifiman ef400..... love my r2r it's like tube and solid state had babies .

Not read loads on it though and only usb in but that isn't an issue for me.
I'm torn between it and a mojo 2 eventually.

Jun 27, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #54,140 of 66,292
I have to say Damien Grief is the perfect stage name for a hardcore punk singer.
(Hope that's o.k.)

It's from a song from an industrial rock band I like. lol

Hemp are fantastic cans and definitely the smoothest grado I own with a slightly more bodied sound. these really don't do much wrong.
Ps 500e resolve a lot more detail IMO...you really hear more detail and spacial queues , imaging is better ... are they better can's than the hemp?
Depends what you like and want really, some wouldn't like the treble on them as it can be clinical with some pairings, I'm pairing with r2r though and on the cayin its lovely...
I personally think they both are very good at doing what they do but out of the two if I had to choose only one to keep it would be ps500e but I wouldn't want that choice .

I do need to listen to my 500e more. They're great cans. I just find the Hemp better in most ways. I definitely pick up more detail in my music with my Hemps. Maybe it's just the extra mid-bass and less emphasis on the treble makes the 500e feel more veiled to me. But I will say the PS500e were great for listening to vinyl with. I used them exclusively for that for a bit. I would definitely keep the Hemps over the 500e though. Easy choice for me. There's a reason they became my go to daily driver headphone.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #54,143 of 66,292
I'm thinking of trying hifiman ef400..... love my r2r it's like tube and solid state had babies .

Not read loads on it though and only usb in but that isn't an issue for me.
I'm torn between it and a mojo 2 eventually.
Many Grado fans like Hifiman,beyerdynamic DT.
A member in this forum own Grado and meze 99. How is that possible. The 99 are so bassy.

Jun 27, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #54,144 of 66,292

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Vali 2+

Jun 27, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #54,145 of 66,292
Spent all day listening to this lovely combo.😄

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Jun 27, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #54,146 of 66,292

I do need to listen to my 500e more. They're great cans. I just find the Hemp better in most ways. I definitely pick up more detail in my music with my Hemps. Maybe it's just the extra mid-bass and less emphasis on the treble makes the 500e feel more veiled to me. But I will say the PS500e were great for listening to vinyl with. I used them exclusively for that for a bit. I would definitely keep the Hemps over the 500e though. Easy choice for me. There's a reason they became my go to daily driver headphone.
I am curios at the PS500/1000.
Also considering hifiman (he6se v2)
A dealer selling a demo hp-3. 850 euro..
But still think the DT1990 looks so great.
Sometimes the tr-amp are too much.my stationary setup sounds more mellow/relaxing. Miss that sometimes.

Jun 27, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #54,148 of 66,292

i don't find the ps500e veiled in any way , the hemp are definitely more forward sounding though and more aggressive in nature even though not an aggressive can more in your face so to speak all though again not overly ... disagree about the detail, for me the nuances and depth on the ps 500e are superior to hemp but more subtle in the mix not forced to say hey look at me here I am.... when I first put ps500e on they didn't wow me for this exact reason , unlike hemp, rs2e it wasn't here I am listen! more I am here but if you listen ... hope that analogy makes sense.
I totally get why you would say veiled and less detailed because I feel it's not forcing it on you but I do feel they actually are more detailed and nuanced in the mix... maybe I'm wrong maybe my old ears :older_man:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back