Grado Fan Club!
Jun 26, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #54,076 of 66,291
Putting my HD800S and Focal Clear to the side today, I remarked: "hey, why don't I pull out the Grados?"
I'd just received an order of Periapt balanced cables and was itching to test drive the 2.5mm for my modded GS1000i.
So in it went to the 789, but not before switching opamps in my Gustard P26 to the Burson Classics - for that soft, tubey feel.

I distinctly remember the first time I used these headphones: it was in 2010, I'd just forked over $1500 for my first real headphones other than the DT880 and the HD650 and I found the GS1000i immensely harsh as I was cranking the volume to some math metal. I thought "oh no, did I make a mistake?" Of course listening to jazz and some Portishead put my worries to rest.

Tonight, I've been thoroughly enjoying this new and improved setup with classical, Battles first album 'Mirrored', a bit of Deftones, no harshness, just immense musicality. The Classic opamps really help lift the subdued midrange and putting a thin cloth around the upper midrange which I found so etched and grating all those years ago. I think the Periapt cable helps lift the low end a little bit also.

Really impressed with the detail extraction these decade-old headphones are pulling from my recordings tonight.

Jun 26, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #54,078 of 66,291
Think I'm in the right thread for grado advice 🤣, never tried a pair so what's the best place to start ? Don't have to stick to a budget, but more for less is always a good starting point.

I think the RS2x could be a good starting point for you.
But a bit difficult to tell maybe without knowing a little more about you, your other headphones, your preferences, etc.

Jun 26, 2022 at 7:35 AM Post #54,079 of 66,291
Think I'm in the right thread for grado advice 🤣, never tried a pair so what's the best place to start ? Don't have to stick to a budget, but more for less is always a good starting point.

If the RS2x is too expensive for your first Grado experience, then go for the SR225 instead.
This is the sweet spot within the Prestige Series.

Jun 26, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #54,081 of 66,291

Currently switching between these
Ether 2
Noir 2
Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH 50
Fostex TH900mk2
Fostex TH610
Audeze LCD-XC
Meze Liric
Hifiman HE6se
Fostex TH909

Genre wise anything but C&W
don't like too much upper treble, my ears are getting too old to handle any sibliance.
Hemp bit more Safe tuning, nice for acoustic.
325x punchy in your face sound fantastic for rock , Indie.

But I think you can't go wrong with many.
I reckon hemp if you're treble unsure.

Jun 26, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #54,082 of 66,291
Hemp bit more Safe tuning, nice for acoustic.
325x punchy in your face sound fantastic for rock , Indie.

But I think you can't go wrong with many.
I reckon hemp if you're treble unsure.
If you are in the UK you can go to any richer sounds and audition 325x.. this will give you a starting point...

Jun 26, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #54,084 of 66,291
Been some time. Finishing up a Grado mod as well as a Symphones V9 build. This is the V9 using Rholupat wood cups.
IMG-20220626-WA0044.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back