Grado Fan Club!
Apr 9, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #52,202 of 65,819
For builds,

Headband, Turbulent Labs (prefer regular not XL)
Rodblocks/Gimbals, Shipibo
Wood cups, Rholupat (he also machines gimbals/rodblocks but I prefer Shipibo's)

Enjoy the build and the process of building. It really is a fun ordeal.
Thanks for the input!
I've ordered some rodblocks and gimbals from Shipido originally to change some of my Grados but let's see.
I have the Turbulent XL headband for my PS1000e, has anyone tried accessory house?
I looked at the cups and do like Rholupat's but wanted to see if he could install some mini-xlr connectors before shipping.

Besides @joseph69 has anyone tried the symphones drivers? Specifically V9?

Apr 9, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #52,203 of 65,819
I've been thinking about a TL headband for my SR60i. I think the aluminum rodblocks and gimbals look really nice, but I'd want to keep mine looking stock. Looking at mine, I can see that there is glue inside holding the headband in, and I found one video that showed there is also a plastic nub that pops into a hole in the headband. Is the glue they use on the headband the same hotglue they use on the earcups? If so, is it possible to heat it up to soften the glue to remove it instead of cracking it like most tutorials suggest?

Apr 9, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #52,204 of 65,819
I've been thinking about a TL headband for my SR60i. I think the aluminum rodblocks and gimbals look really nice, but I'd want to keep mine looking stock. Looking at mine, I can see that there is glue inside holding the headband in, and I found one video that showed there is also a plastic nub that pops into a hole in the headband. Is the glue they use on the headband the same hotglue they use on the earcups? If so, is it possible to heat it up to soften the glue to remove it instead of cracking it like most tutorials suggest?
Taking the headband off the original Grado for me wasn't that difficult. You can take a hairdryer to the point that joins, wiggle it and pull.

The harder part was threading the metal band through the new headband. Not sure if any other members have a better way but it took me about 20 mins and quite a bit of tries.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #52,205 of 65,819
Ordered some foams from Misodiko and they arrived today. Original G cush on the left, Misodiko on the right.

You can see from the size that the Misodiko is flatter so sits closer to the ear. They are softer as well. Mids and bass slightly better, soundstage not hugely affected. I may have found the right replacement pads.
IMG_20220410_105540.jpg

Apr 9, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #52,207 of 65,819
Ordered some foams from Misodiko and they arrived today. Original G cush on the left, Misodiko on the right.

You can see from the size that the Misodiko is flatter so sits closer to the ear. They are softer as well. Mids and bass slightly better, soundstage not hugely affected. I may have found the right replacement pads.
IMG_20220410_105540.jpg
Those look just like the Geekria, probably sourced from the same OEM in china. I’ve got some Geekria and Misodiko for other headphones and they’re clearly the same as well.

Apr 9, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #52,208 of 65,819
Taking the headband off the original Grado for me wasn't that difficult. You can either take a hairdyer to the point that joins, wiggle it and pull.

The harder part was threading the metal band through the new headband. Not sure if any other members have a better way but it took me about 20 mins and quite a bit of tries.
I have a hot air rework station that I can control the temp, so I may use that to soften the glue if I get a new headband.

Apr 9, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #52,209 of 65,819
Why do you prefer regular? I just ordered two XL haha. Have had the regular in the past. Looks or comfort?
I should have prefaced, I have not owned the larger cup sized Grado's. So to that, the regular does look better on the smaller cups in my opinion. The larger covers more area so a little more comfort than regular and I would prefer the XL on the larger cup Grado's. Aesthetics.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 11:56 PM Post #52,210 of 65,819
Taking the headband off the original Grado for me wasn't that difficult. You can either take a hairdyer to the point that joins, wiggle it and pull.

Exactly. Threading it on the new Turbulent Labs headband takes some tries, especially that last 15% before it breaks through the other end. It's a headache :)

Removing is easy. Note on removing from the original rodblock: muscle it a bit, little at first then more and more until you hear a few 'cracks' which is the internal glue loosening, plastic is fine. Don't Rambo it so you can save the original just because. Don't throw them out in the off chance of reselling in x years, buyers will want the original pieces.

I don't personally see the need to use a heat gun or hair dryer unless you are removing the drivers from the cups and then it's careful careful pins and needles. If you will be reattaching the old headband ever, you will be likely dousing the tips of the metal band with glue anyway before reinsertion.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022 at 4:05 AM Post #52,212 of 65,819
Apparently the new X variants are quite different, some reviews opinions reckon for the better across the board.... but like most things in this hobby I think it depends on your personal preferences and pairings.
I own the newer X series and really like them, I also prefer the new f cushion pads on them too, a bit uncomfortable though at first until both clamp force and pads break in.
I just feel they sound the best out of all the others I have tried but I'm probably in the minority on this one..
Actually I didn't like the SR325e, but I love my SR325X. I was listening to them forv5 hours today just because they sounded so good

Apr 10, 2022 at 4:31 AM Post #52,213 of 65,819
Actually I didn't like the SR325e, but I love my SR325X. I was listening to them forv5 hours today just because they sounded so good
I have no experience with anything other than X series.
Im relatively new to grado so can't compare, although my friend wants me to 4.4 his 325e so I will get to compare at some point in the near future and definitely will post my feelings.
I used to be a headphone guy at first then switched to iems for a long time mostly Andromeda in various forms, I also never use desktop because I like the semi mobility of a decent dap and the n6ii r01 is an absolute beast, the grado pair lovely with it and drive very well.
I bought the 325x first thought I would give them a try as was getting very good press, after using for 3 weeks I sold 2 pairs of Andromeda lol......I never keep lot's of gear as I will always pick up what I consider the best for me and I honestly thought the 325x were better in every conceivable way than the Andromeda, yes there different animals entirely but I just knew the Andromeda wouldn't get used again.
Since then I'm totally a grado convert, bought the hemp and I will be buying the rs1x in the near future, although this won't be straight away as I'm still loving the hemp and 325x and as I said il always pick up my best so want to get some use out of them first.

Apr 10, 2022 at 6:44 AM Post #52,214 of 65,819
Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me on this.
I've been using the original uDAC v1 for about 12 years with a pair SR80i and Schiit LYR 2 with stock tubes.

It's a combination I've been very happy with for a lot of my listening. I recently picked up a pair of RS1x and the LYR2 can power them with ease.
My only doubt at the moment is if the uDAC v1 would be holding back the system in anyway now as the DAC technology is fairly old at this point, while entry level I've not previously felt the need to upgrade. There's pretty much no shiit stock in Europe for the last year or so. So any Schiit gear is most likely a non runner

Users who are viewing this thread

Back