Grado Fan Club!
Apr 8, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #52,172 of 66,276
Received these this afternoon from Japan.
They're in very, very good condition and are sounding just fine. I waiting for the Shipibo ceramic black rodblocks which should be arriving shortly, then I'll terminate them to XLR and add a suspension strap for better weight distribution, as well as replace the spring steel in the headband so I can adjust the clamping force to my preference being you can see the L side of the headband is pretty warped.
I do have everything I need except the rodblocks, so as soon as they arrive I'll proceed.
IMG_0596.jpeg

Apr 8, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #52,174 of 66,276
I agree 100% with you. I have added both the pebbled black headband by Turbulent Labs (agree, these are the highest quality currently out there) and the classic larger Shipibo aluminum rodblocks/gimbal set to my GH2. While the change from plastic to aluminum does add a little more weight, the sturdiness and feel of the fit is improved. I have had both the slim and the classic Shipibo's and prefer the classic, they are pretty much aluminum mirror of the Grado plastic.

I have also toyed with the idea of buying one of the new ZMF crescent bands and modifying the steel band they include to make it work but I have not decided to go through with it, might be a fun project. I have one on my Eikons and the noggin' hug you get is amazing with them.

Nice. I also just made a shipibo order with gimbals for two sets (325x and custom build), went with the slim though... was a tough choice! Also some cups, cable, bands, earpads for a new build with turbulent headband/drivers. Also have the beautiful audio hybrid small pads coming to compare.

Apr 8, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #52,175 of 66,276
Nice. I also just made a shipibo order with gimbals for two sets (325x and custom build), went with the slim though... was a tough choice! Also some cups, cable, bands, earpads for a new build with turbulent headband/drivers. Also have the beautiful audio hybrid small pads coming to compare.
Shipibo is a great company and great quality, no doubt about it. I have spoken with Przemyslaw (co-owner) a lot about a wide array of things and he is very knowledgeable and a very very nice gent as well.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #52,176 of 66,276
I took the right driver out of its cup, no sign of damage, the amp is working great with a kamikaze can I have.

I can't find my voltmeter; I'll see if I can borrow one from work.
The reason I don‘t like removing the driver with a hairdryer.
0922C2D9-358E-40CF-B056-F3C15DCFDB31.jpeg

Some companies even do that using a heat gun.
When fitting back in, watch the contacts being on the other side of the plug to avoid accidential short cuts.
Keep my fingers crossed, that you‘ll find a fast and good solution.

Apr 8, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #52,177 of 66,276
I got my PS2000e back, re-terminated. Wow, these are fantastic sounding! Even my friend who isn't a fan of Grado (putting it nicely) admits these sound great. He also loaned me a custom built balanced Dynalo+ amp. This is a fantastic match. Soundstage isn't as big as the Headroom Max Balanced, but it has all the clarity and speed of a Gilmore combined with just enough warmth and body. The Headamp Gilmores (and even BHSE) always sound just a touch dry for my tastes, and it's only really noticeable when you put them next to an amp like this (DIY T2 in the case of BHSE). Bass is cleaner than the Max. It just sounded "right" from the very first note. I think I might really, really like this combo! Dammit, I don't need another amp.

Still really love the PS500e, but PS2000e are almost certainly gonna be top dog now. I got the GS3000e back re-terminated too, and they just don't do it for me. Nope. PS "e" series all the way here.

Apr 8, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #52,178 of 66,276
The reason I don‘t like removing the driver with a hairdryer.
0922C2D9-358E-40CF-B056-F3C15DCFDB31.jpeg
Some companies even do that using a heat gun.
When fitting back in, watch the contacts being on the other side of the plug to avoid accidential short cuts.
Keep my fingers crossed, that you‘ll find a fast and good solution.
I sent a mail to Grado waiting to hear if they'll fix it and how much it's going to cost me.

That was probably me when I removed the driver? I didn't use much heat as the modder had the driver held in by a few small spots of glue.

Apr 8, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #52,179 of 66,276
Received these this afternoon from Japan.
They're in very, very good condition and are sounding just fine. I waiting for the Shipibo ceramic black rodblocks which should be arriving shortly, then I'll terminate them to XLR and add a suspension strap for better weight distribution, as well as replace the spring steel in the headband so I can adjust the clamping force to my preference being you can see the L side of the headband is pretty warped.
I do have everything I need except the rodblocks, so as soon as they arrive I'll proceed.IMG_0596.jpeg
I was listening to mine last night for a few hrs with the Turbulent headband, bliss.

Are you only re-terminating the original cable or making it interchangeable?

Apr 8, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #52,180 of 66,276
I was listening to mine last night for a few hrs with the Turbulent headband, bliss.

Are you only re-terminating the original cable or making it interchangeable?
Been listening to mine via my GS-X mk2 for 2+hrs now after running them since receiving them this afternoon and they sound fantastic.
I'm not re-cabling (although it did cross my mind) I'm just re-terminating to XLR like all my Grados with the exception of my 325is.

Apr 8, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #52,181 of 66,276
Been listening to mine via my GS-X mk2 for 2+hrs now after running them since receiving them this afternoon and they sound fantastic.
I'm not re-cabling (although it did cross my mind) I'm just re-terminating to XLR like all my Grados with the exception of my 325is.
How are you re-terminating, just at the very end? I've got some re-cablers here in HK and just wondering what the easiest way to do it would be.

Apr 8, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #52,182 of 66,276
How are you re-terminating, just at the very end? I've got some re-cablers here in HK and just wondering what the easiest way to do it would be.
All that needs to be done is to cut the 1/4" termination off then replace it with the 4-pin XLR.
I gave an example to @mulveling in a recent post on how to determine the wiring configuration. If you need more info feel free to PM me.

Apr 8, 2022 at 11:29 PM Post #52,183 of 66,276
I got my PS2000e back, re-terminated. Wow, these are fantastic sounding! Even my friend who isn't a fan of Grado (putting it nicely) admits these sound great. He also loaned me a custom built balanced Dynalo+ amp. This is a fantastic match. Soundstage isn't as big as the Headroom Max Balanced, but it has all the clarity and speed of a Gilmore combined with just enough warmth and body. The Headamp Gilmores (and even BHSE) always sound just a touch dry for my tastes, and it's only really noticeable when you put them next to an amp like this (DIY T2 in the case of BHSE). Bass is cleaner than the Max. It just sounded "right" from the very first note. I think I might really, really like this combo! Dammit, I don't need another amp.

Still really love the PS500e, but PS2000e are almost certainly gonna be top dog now. I got the GS3000e back re-terminated too, and they just don't do it for me. Nope. PS "e" series all the way here.
Welcome (again) to PS2000e-dom !

Apr 9, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #52,184 of 66,276
All that needs to be done is to cut the 1/4" termination off then replace it with the 4-pin XLR.
I gave an example to @mulveling in a recent post on how to determine the wiring configuration. If you need more info feel free to PM me.
I've asked my cable guy and he says it's easy to do.

Interested in how you will add a suspension strap? It's something off the shelf or DIY?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back