Grado Fan Club!
Apr 9, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #52,188 of 66,273
I've asked my cable guy and he says it's easy to do.

Interested in how you will add a suspension strap? It's something off the shelf or DIY?
I add the suspension strap by using 1 of the screw holes that hold the 2 halves of whichever custom roadblocks I'm using.
When I get to that part I'll post some photos on how I did it. Here is a post on the rodblocks and suspension strap I used for my previous PS1000, and here are some photos as well. As you've read, I used the Rhoulpat rodblocks, but this time, as I mentioned I'll be using the Shipibo rodblocks so I'll most probably have to use a slightly different mounting method being the 2 halves attach differently on the Shppibo.

Apr 9, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #52,189 of 66,273
I add the suspension strap by using 1 of the screw holes that hold the 2 halves of whichever custom roadblocks I'm using.
When I get to that part I'll post some photos on how I did it. Here is a post on the rodblocks and suspension strap I used for my previous PS1000, and here are some photos as well. As you've read, I used the Rhoulpat rodblocks, but this time, as I mentioned I'll be using the Shipibo rodblocks so I'll most probably have to use a slightly different mounting method being the 2 halves attach differently on the Shppibo.
Funny, I never knew someone figured out how to do this but it was the exact solution I was looking for 👏🏼.

Apr 9, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #52,190 of 66,273
I just ordered Symphones V9 in the hopes of building a new headphone. Seeing as so many here are so knowledgeable about the different Grado parts from different retailers, what is the "best" DIY build you can think of? Ie. Wooden cups from xxx, rod blocks and gimbals from xxx, headband from xxx?

Apr 9, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #52,191 of 66,273
I just ordered Symphones V9 in the hopes of building a new headphone. Seeing as so many here are so knowledgeable about the different Grado parts from different retailers, what is the "best" DIY build you can think of? Ie. Wooden cups from xxx, rod blocks and gimbals from xxx, headband from xxx?
I've never built my own headphone, but I did mod an SR80i with Turbulent Labs wooden cups which I liked for their aesthetics.
I've heard DIY headphones based on Grados design with Symphones drivers (can't remember which version) but preferred the Grado drivers much more.

Apr 9, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #52,192 of 66,273
I've never built my own headphone, but I did mod an SR80i with Turbulent Labs wooden cups which I liked for their aesthetics.
I've heard DIY headphones based on Grados design with Symphones drivers (can't remember which version) but preferred the Grado drivers much more.
I've never listened to any DIY ones but just reading that Simphones have a good rep. The cost is not crazy so worth trying it out.

I'm also in the process of modding a 25yr old SR80s. Going to go for wood cups, interchangeable, new headband and all. Basically only keeping the drivers but I think using Mundorf solder will make it sound better.

Apr 9, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #52,193 of 66,273
I've never listened to any DIY ones but just reading that Simphones have a good rep. The cost is not crazy so worth trying it out.

I'm also in the process of modding a 25yr old SR80s. Going to go for wood cups, interchangeable, new headband and all. Basically only keeping the drivers but I think using Mundorf solder will make it sound better.
Any particular cables you're interested in trying?

Apr 9, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #52,195 of 66,273
Put shipibo gimbal & headband on the PS500e. It’s gorgeous. Now wish I’d got the whole gimbal for PS2000e too, instead of just the rod blocks.

I think slim black will look best for the wood headphones (to frame the lovely wood without drawing attention away), but the classic silver looks rockin here!

Attachments

• 1649522740671.jpeg
    1649522740671.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Apr 9, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #52,196 of 66,273
I'm already thinking of modding my 80x even though I don't have them yet ...I want them for work and maybe the cable might be a bit unwieldy for slightly on the move, ok when I'm sitting soldering and other stuff but sometimes I'm mechanics as well ....so I'm thinking of maybe reducing the cable thickness and putting female mmcx on each cup.

Apr 9, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #52,197 of 66,273
Put shipibo gimbal & headband on the PS500e. It’s gorgeous. Now wish I’d got the whole gimbal for PS2000e too, instead of just the rod blocks.

I think slim black will look best for the wood headphones (to frame the lovely wood without drawing attention away), but the classic silver looks rockin here!
I agree the silver looks great against the PS500e cups.

Apr 9, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #52,198 of 66,273
For builds,

Headband, Turbulent Labs (prefer regular not XL)
Rodblocks/Gimbals, Shipibo
Wood cups, Rholupat (he also machines gimbals/rodblocks but I prefer Shipibo's)

Enjoy the build and the process of building. It really is a fun ordeal.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #52,200 of 66,273
Is there much difference between the old version and the new ones? Curious since I saw the video review saying that the SR80e is similar to the old version and I wonder how the 325e differs from my old 325.
Apparently the new X variants are quite different, some reviews opinions reckon for the better across the board.... but like most things in this hobby I think it depends on your personal preferences and pairings.
I own the newer X series and really like them, I also prefer the new f cushion pads on them too, a bit uncomfortable though at first until both clamp force and pads break in.
I just feel they sound the best out of all the others I have tried but I'm probably in the minority on this one..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back