Grado Fan Club!
Apr 7, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #52,156 of 66,262
Last edited:
Apr 7, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #52,158 of 66,262
It's $50 less than new... The box appears correct. Now that I look closely the headband appears scratched, might not be worth it.
Yeah, the scratches by the rodblock could maybe be reduced with some leather cream and some brushing, not sure if it's the picture or an illusion, but the top of the band looks a bit scuffed up as well. With it being leather, standard leather care might be able to restore it to an acceptable degree.

Apr 8, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #52,159 of 66,262
Swapped the stock headband for an XL Turbulent headband. Changing the band took some time since the metal band just would not thread through easily.

The increase in comfort is quantifiable. Pressure is more evenly balanced and now it really feels like a premium headphone.

People complain about the "cheap" quality of Grado products but at least there is a healthy market of upgrade accessories. This also means that I can find and replace parts over time quite easily.

IMG_20220408_213614.jpg

Apr 8, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #52,160 of 66,262
Swapped the stock headband for an XL Turbulent headband. Changing the band took some time since the metal band just would not thread through easily.

The increase in comfort is quantifiable. Pressure is more evenly balanced and now it really feels like a premium headphone.

People complain about the "cheap" quality of Grado products but at least there is a healthy market of upgrade accessories. This also means that I can find and replace parts over time quite easily.

IMG_20220408_213614.jpg
I highly recommend the Shipibo metal rod-blocks. Especially for the heavier PS1000/2000, the plastic blocks don't cut it. Reminds me I need to order some more. I'm about to get some of their metal gimbals to try too (for plastic gimbal Grados).

Apr 8, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #52,161 of 66,262
I highly recommend the Shipibo metal rod-blocks. Especially for the heavier PS1000/2000, the plastic blocks don't cut it. Reminds me I need to order some more. I'm about to get some of their metal gimbals to try too (for plastic gimbal Grados).

Besides aesthetics and a more premium feel, is there any other advantage to them?

I looked at Beautiful Audio vs Shipido vs Turbulent vs Amazon Brand Accessory House for headbands upgrades and went with Turbulent since it seemed to fit what I wanted and it was relatively closer to where I'm at. They have great service and the product is high quality.

Apr 8, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #52,162 of 66,262
I will definitely at some point be changing the gimbals on the hemp. Out of all the niggles, cable, headband and gimbal's, that others have mentioned this is the one that truly grates me. They are truly fragile I feel but still fantastic cans and I won't be parting with them soon so worth the upgrade.

Apr 8, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #52,163 of 66,262
I do like my plastic gimbals though.They have serial numbers etched on them and I see them as a set with the cans.
On a side note, I can’t decide if I should get a regular size or XL headband from Turbulent.

Apr 8, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #52,164 of 66,262
I will definitely at some point be changing the gimbals on the hemp. Out of all the niggles, cable, headband and gimbal's, that others have mentioned this is the one that truly grates me. They are truly fragile I feel but still fantastic cans and I won't be parting with them soon so worth the upgrade.
I agree 100% with you. I have added both the pebbled black headband by Turbulent Labs (agree, these are the highest quality currently out there) and the classic larger Shipibo aluminum rodblocks/gimbal set to my GH2. While the change from plastic to aluminum does add a little more weight, the sturdiness and feel of the fit is improved. I have had both the slim and the classic Shipibo's and prefer the classic, they are pretty much aluminum mirror of the Grado plastic.

Untitled.jpg

I have also toyed with the idea of buying one of the new ZMF crescent bands and modifying the steel band they include to make it work but I have not decided to go through with it, might be a fun project. I have one on my Eikons and the noggin' hug you get is amazing with them.

Apr 8, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #52,165 of 66,262
I do like my plastic gimbals though.They have serial numbers etched on them and I see them as a set with the cans.
On a side note, I can’t decide if I should get a regular size or XL headband from Turbulent.
Which model Grado do you have? For the PS series large is a no-brainer. For my GS1000i and RS2 I don't think I will change since they're pretty light and comfortable for me.

Apr 8, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #52,167 of 66,262
Besides aesthetics and a more premium feel, is there any other advantage to them?

I looked at Beautiful Audio vs Shipido vs Turbulent vs Amazon Brand Accessory House for headbands upgrades and went with Turbulent since it seemed to fit what I wanted and it was relatively closer to where I'm at. They have great service and the product is high quality.
I mean with the set screws you can control how tightly they clamp down on the rods. The heavier PS1000/2000 tend to have their plastic rodblocks lose grip on the rod over time, so they just slide down all the time even while on your head, ugh. That's annoying as hell. You also don't have to make & break a glue bond just to change headbands anymore. But beyond that, yeah they're just metal blocks so there's a limit to how much they can do :)

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #52,168 of 66,262
I mean with the set screws you can control how tightly they clamp down on the rods. The heavier PS1000/2000 tend to have their plastic rodblocks lose grip on the rod over time, so they just slide down all the time even while on your head, ugh. That's annoying as hell. You also don't have to make & break a glue bond just to change headbands anymore. But beyond that, yeah they're just metal blocks so there's a limit to how much they can do :)
Just ordered 2 sets and a gimbal set for my RS2. 👍🏼

Apr 8, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #52,169 of 66,262
I took the right driver out of its cup, no sign of damage, the amp is working great with a kamikaze can I have.

I can't find my voltmeter; I'll see if I can borrow one from work.

a.jpg

b.jpg

Apr 8, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #52,170 of 66,262
I agree 100% with you. I have added both the pebbled black headband by Turbulent Labs (agree, these are the highest quality currently out there) and the classic larger Shipibo aluminum rodblocks/gimbal set to my GH2. While the change from plastic to aluminum does add a little more weight, the sturdiness and feel of the fit is improved. I have had both the slim and the classic Shipibo's and prefer the classic, they are pretty much aluminum mirror of the Grado plastic.

Untitled.jpg

I have also toyed with the idea of buying one of the new ZMF crescent bands and modifying the steel band they include to make it work but I have not decided to go through with it, might be a fun project. I have one on my Eikons and the noggin' hug you get is amazing with them.
Very nice , a little more weight won't hurt too much and at least I don't have to live in fear of a snapped gimbal! ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back