Grado Fan Club!
Apr 5, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #41,116 of 66,259
I have been a member here for many years but have not posted in a long time. I live in Thailand and just received a new headphone from the Grado authorized distributor here. I got a Grado rs2e. I chose that because I needed a very light weight headphone due to an old neck injury. In the past I've owned many flagship headphones. Anyway I want to ask you Grado experts about this headphone I just got. It is a brand new unopened factory sealed Grado rs2e with a Black leather headband? I though they stopped shipping black headbands on the RS1e and RS2e back in 2015? The distributor swears he just got this shipment from the factory in November 2019. He even sent me a photo of the shipment. Are Grado returning to Black headband or shipping random colors? The dealer has been very nice about this but he is also confused. Can anyone here comment? It certainly doesn't seem possible that this would be a copy it is perfectly packed and except for the color looks authentic. Very confusing.

Apr 5, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #41,117 of 66,259
Hi, welcome back!

It gets confusing -- if you go to 4ourears.net (Official Grado store), under the "Reference" page, you see the RS1e with a brown leather headband, and the RS2e with the black: https://www.4ourears.net/Grado_Reference_Series_Headphones_s/1817.htm

If you go directly to Grado's website, you see brown on both!: https://gradolabs.com/headphones/reference-series

If you go to AudioAdvisor's website (where I got my GW100s):
So in that case, I am just as confused as you! I think black is pretty standard, except for maybe higher end models! My GW100s were bought new this time last year, and my GH2s were bought second hand from a user who also bought them early last year (2019, so he said!)

Apr 5, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #41,118 of 66,259
I have been a member here for many years but have not posted in a long time. I live in Thailand and just received a new headphone from the Grado authorized distributor here. I got a Grado rs2e. I chose that because I needed a very light weight headphone due to an old neck injury. In the past I've owned many flagship headphones. Anyway I want to ask you Grado experts about this headphone I just got. It is a brand new unopened factory sealed Grado rs2e with a Black leather headband? I though they stopped shipping black headbands on the RS1e and RS2e back in 2015? The distributor swears he just got this shipment from the factory in November 2019. He even sent me a photo of the shipment. Are Grado returning to Black headband or shipping random colors? The dealer has been very nice about this but he is also confused. Can anyone here comment? It certainly doesn't seem possible that this would be a copy it is perfectly packed and except for the color looks authentic. Very confusing.
I am in Australia, I just bought a pr rs2e, and brown headband, I told my supplier I didnt want the black headband and he told me that it hasn't been available in black for a long time ,all ate brown leather

Apr 5, 2020 at 3:51 AM Post #41,119 of 66,259
I am in Australia, I just bought a pr rs2e, and brown headband, I told my supplier I didnt want the black headband and he told me that it hasn't been available in black for a long time ,all ate brown leather
Grado just contacted me moments ago on what is a Sunday here no less. They said that all RS2E for years have been brown headband and that the one I received was a factory mistake. Can you imagine that kind of mistake? The good part is that Grado said they are sending me the Brown one tomorrow and they will include some gifts from Grado for my trouble. They said I could keep the Black ones until the Brown arrives. I guess you can't ask for better customer service than that. They assured me that the black one I received was from a November shipment to their distributor. They verified with the serial number from the box. I am rather amazed that they got on this so fast on what is a Saturday in New York. Things aren't so great in New York at the moment but that didn't stop Grado from getting to me fast.

Apr 5, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #41,120 of 66,259
I used to own the legendary ultra rare Grado PS-1 back in 2016, and sold them for no reason
I regret what i did and really miss them. Too bad there’s nobody selling these cans right now. Gotta wait until someone appears and make my dreams come true once again
If there’s PS-1 users in this forum, I’m really jealous of you :)

Photos of my PS-1.

A699C886-38E7-46BE-9383-1E46452DA228.jpeg

4AE55865-E5C1-46B0-A847-39B23EC96C89.jpeg

FDA737CB-E9A2-41EB-90F6-811835DD527C.jpeg

F4A6969B-9B11-49A0-B373-0B1C01088023.jpeg

CEA63112-8A6A-44F3-9963-ED737E351A70.jpeg

FCF5AEA6-BEB6-4366-B256-92275158FF67.jpeg

Apr 5, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #41,121 of 66,259
@robotnize , what did you like so much about your PS1? How did their sound differ from that of other Grados, or other headphones in general? Thanks!

Apr 5, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #41,122 of 66,259
@robotnize , what did you like so much about your PS1? How did their sound differ from that of other Grados, or other headphones in general? Thanks!

PS-1 that i owned was in original shape, non-modded, original cables and drivers
I really liked their punchy sound, strongest bass impact i’ve ever heard
they are the best headphones in the world for rock and metal music imo
I also tried grado ps500, 500e which has a similar look but it was an entirely different thing, less punchy sound, less bass impact and smaller soundstage
I currently own PS1000i, they have bigger soundstage than PS-1 but the bass impact is similar to 500 series
I sometimes feel that the PS1000i sounds too bright, hurts my ear a little bit which makes me unpleasant
PS-1 had moderate-highs, can listen for a longer period than PS1000i
It’s been 4 years since I heard them so I can’t evaluate further
also can’t compare to other headphones brands, grado’s sound signature is unique i guess, it’s a different league
other than that PS-1 is a collector’s item, less than 250 pc worldwide
I like to collect rare vintage headphones, akg k1000, mdr-r10, etc
I wish i can find one again.. this time i won’t sell them no matter what happens

Apr 5, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #41,124 of 66,259
I used to own the legendary ultra rare Grado PS-1 back in 2016, and sold them for no reason
I regret what i did and really miss them. Too bad there’s nobody selling these cans right now. Gotta wait until someone appears and make my dreams come true once again
If there’s PS-1 users in this forum, I’m really jealous of you :)

Photos of my PS-1.

The only Grado that still make me so curious. Always feel want to have one since perhaps 10 years ago, but due to some issues, included have no idea where to buy make me can't afford it.

Anyway, so far my most fav Grado is RS1e, and also PS2000e, but due to ergonomic problem, I think RS1e is easier to pick.

2019_1030_00144200.jpg

Apr 5, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #41,125 of 66,259
The only Grado that still make me so curious. Always feel want to have one since perhaps 10 years ago, but due to some issues, included have no idea where to buy make me can't afford it.

Anyway, so far my most fav Grado is RS1e, and also PS2000e, but due to ergonomic problem, I think RS1e is easier to pick.

2019_1030_00144200.jpg

Beautiful cans and beautiful pic! (Sans context, that sentence sounds realllly bad haha)

Apr 6, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #41,126 of 66,259
I'm homeworking during this virus situation. I need to hear my wife and son so open grados are perfect. Been using sr60e for last few days. Love them. What would be the perfect upgrade as this lockdown could be for a long time? I like all genres from metal, rock, classical, jazz, hip hop, funk and indie. Can spend up to £1000

Apr 6, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #41,128 of 66,259
I'm homeworking during this virus situation. I need to hear my wife and son so open grados are perfect. Been using sr60e for last few days. Love them. What would be the perfect upgrade as this lockdown could be for a long time? I like all genres from metal, rock, classical, jazz, hip hop, funk and indie. Can spend up to £1000

Wow, with that budget there are lots to choose from! I've only heard the GW100 & GH2 (own them and have thousands of hours each on them) and a coworker's SR125 (not sure if the "i" or "e" series). I've been curious about the GS1000i, but have heard mixed reviews on the GS1000e. You could probably spring for a used GS1Ki, possibly a PS1000 original. But those will have a much different tuning than the SR60e! I'd look for cans in your budget, then go through the rabbithole that is @ruthieandjohn 's posts to find his Grado comparison charts to see what seem to fit your sound preference!

Apr 6, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #41,129 of 66,259
Gaht damn -- this song slaps on my Grados (if you're into funk fusion music!) I'm in here bobbin' my head like a chicken (glad my family is asleep so they don't have to see this...)
Fast forward to ~52 sec if the intro bores you, I promise it's worth it:

BTW -- anyone else find their musical tastes slightly changing depending on their audio gear owned / being listened to? Crazy how that works out.

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #41,130 of 66,259
What would be the perfect upgrade as this lockdown could be for a long time?
If you're happy, stay with what you already have.
This advice is for your own good. :)

BTW -- anyone else find their musical tastes slightly changing depending on their audio gear owned / being listened to? Crazy how that works out.
100%

Users who are viewing this thread

Back