Grado Fan Club!
Jul 24, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #40,111 of 65,581
My leather/merino hybrid pads arrived from beautifulaudio.biz - the owner / operator Silvian from NZ was terrific to deal with.

They did cost me $140USD + shipping, but my GH1's are the one set of cans that I will never, ever part with. The pads are simply the most comfortable Grado pads I've ever tried. They GH1's are feather light, but these make them an absolute treat to wear.

Sonically, I'm happy to report there's no negative effect whatsover. I would place the sound closest to the Sennheiser yellows with the quarter-mod. It doesn't have the airiness or slightly sucked-out mids of the G-Cush, but tames the highs ever so slightly.

10/10 would buy again. Oh, and they look amazing, IMO.
PSX_20190725_110900.jpg

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #40,112 of 65,581
My leather/merino hybrid pads arrived from beautifulaudio.biz - the owner / operator Silvian from NZ was terrific to deal with.

They did cost me $140USD + shipping, but my GH1's are the one set of cans that I will never, ever part with. The pads are simply the most comfortable Grado pads I've ever tried. They GH1's are feather light, but these make them an absolute treat to wear.

Sonically, I'm happy to report there's no negative effect whatsover. I would place the sound closest to the Sennheiser yellows with the quarter-mod. It doesn't have the airiness or slightly sucked-out mids of the G-Cush, but tames the highs ever so slightly.

Those pads look super nice. I’m glad that you liked the sound, to me they changed too much the sound and I didn’t like it.

Jul 24, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #40,113 of 65,581

Are those the large or small pads?

Jul 24, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #40,114 of 65,581
Jul 24, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #40,116 of 65,581
Hi all - I stumbled upon Grado in my search for something with great PRaT (tuneful, fast, tight, bouncy, punchy, fast, forward, lively - pick your adverb) in the toe tapping Naim and Linn tradition. I've been reading as much as I can, but there's a lot of conflicting info out there! Is there a short list of current Grados (or others?) that I should try to audition? I'm just getting started, but my system at the moment is a Bluesound Node 2i streamer and Naim Headline amp with TeddyCap PSU. Thanks in advance!

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #40,117 of 65,581
Hi all - I stumbled upon Grado in my search for something with great PRaT (tuneful, fast, tight, bouncy, punchy, fast, forward, lively - pick your adverb) in the toe tapping Naim and Linn tradition. I've been reading as much as I can, but there's a lot of conflicting info out there! Is there a short list of current Grados (or others?) that I should try to audition? I'm just getting started, but my system at the moment is a Bluesound Node 2i streamer and Naim Headline amp with TeddyCap PSU. Thanks in advance!
Start with the SR80e - if you like that, you'll likely like the family. Next, try the SR325e - an even 'spicer' take on the Grado sound. After that, I'd suggest the PS500e for a slightly warmer take on the house-sound; and then the RS2e for a more refined take on it (plus nice wood looks!). Lastly, try the SR80e again. If that sounds good to you, take them and run away and never come back to this site.

Jul 25, 2019 at 1:31 AM Post #40,118 of 65,581
Start with the SR80e - if you like that, you'll likely like the family. Next, try the SR325e - an even 'spicer' take on the Grado sound. After that, I'd suggest the PS500e for a slightly warmer take on the house-sound; and then the RS2e for a more refined take on it (plus nice wood looks!). Lastly, try the SR80e again. If that sounds good to you, take them and run away and never come back to this site.
And Grado is perhaps the only company with a “house sound roadmap” to follow

Jul 25, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #40,119 of 65,581
Unlike those suggested so far, the RS2e is wood construction and $400 new...one of my favorite Grados.

Jul 25, 2019 at 4:01 AM Post #40,120 of 65,581

Those look stunning! Congrats!

Jul 25, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #40,121 of 65,581

Thanks Mightygrey. Haha - a brief listen to the SR80e is exactly what started me down this path! The PS500e is where my confusion begins. I'm struggling to understand the differences between the various GS and PS models. Unfortunately, neither are stocked locally.

Jul 25, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #40,122 of 65,581
And Grado is perhaps the only company with a “house sound roadmap” to follow

Hi William. I think I understand the roadmap from Prestige through Reference. The path seems to T at the intersection with Professional and Statement. Some seem to feel that Professional has greater attack and more pronounced notes (which I like), while others suggest a U curve, with reduced mids (which i don't believe I would like). Statement also might have a U curve but with a softer approach? It sounds like there are exceptions and that might be entirely wrong! Are you able to comment?

Jul 25, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #40,123 of 65,581
Unlike those suggested so far, the RS2e is wood construction and $400 new...one of my favorite Grados.

Thanks for the suggestion! The RS2e is definitely on my short list of what appears to be as safe starting point. Your detailed comparisons posted elsewhere were incredibly helpful, BTW. My reservation with the RS2e is simply buying something that I would likely want to sell off and upgrade (justified or not!) in short order if I liked them. So I'm at least considering starting a little higher. That's where the Professional/Statement split complicates things, especially without the benefit of local audition. To further complicate, the HF3 is starting to get mention, and initial comments seem quite positive. I know you just received yours, but are you able to share any earlier unofficial comparisons with other models?

Jul 25, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #40,124 of 65,581
Thanks for the suggestion! The RS2e is definitely on my short list of what appears to be as safe starting point. Your detailed comparisons posted elsewhere were incredibly helpful, BTW. My reservation with the RS2e is simply buying something that I would likely want to sell off and upgrade (justified or not!) in short order if I liked them. So I'm at least considering starting a little higher. That's where the Professional/Statement split complicates things, especially without the benefit of local audition. To further complicate, the HF3 is starting to get mention, and initial comments seem quite positive. I know you just received yours, but are you able to share any earlier unofficial comparisons with other models?

My starting point with Grado's was the RS2e and they blew me away.

Jul 25, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #40,125 of 65,581
My starting point with Grado's was the RS2e and they blew me away.
The RS2e was my introduction to Grado headphones. They were a revelation, and I don't think you can go wrong with them. They led to my self-indulgence with flagship models, which offer a special kind of audio pleasure. I'm really happy with my HF3 now, they offer a great deal of musical truth and impact, and they ARE an incredible value...but go with your musical gut. I've found a lot of "stay up too late at night and listen" satisfaction with items in the middle of a high-end manufacturer's product line, and Grado is one maker whose mid-range products each nail the listening experience in meaningful ways without actually being compromises.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back