Grado Fan Club!
Apr 9, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #37,846 of 65,604
Got a bit of good news this morning. Looks like the LA&OC 25th Anniversary special edition builds are just about ready, as I got my order confirmation email from Grado.

Hopefully they'll be shipping soon and I'll have some pics and impressions to share.

Hi Astral Abyss,

Although I never received an email confirmation of shipment from Grado Labs, I just checked the account that I have with UPS, and noticed that Grado Labs has just (as of this morning) shipped out the LA&OC 25th Anniversary headphones, and that they are on their way to my address, with an expected delivery of this coming Friday! You might want to go to the UPS tracking website as well, to confirm the day of actual delivery to your location. And just to note, a delivery signature will be required upon receiving.

<< :gs1000smile:Doing My Happy Dance!!:gs1000smile: >>

Apr 9, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #37,848 of 65,604
Hope I will get that confirmation too. But since I live in Norway, maybe they wont ship it. Crossing fingers.....

Just got a mail from them and since my creditcard isnt american, they can not use it. I hope they fix this with PayPal. Should be possible since its 2018☺️

Paid ☺️. Thanks to Grado for fixing this issue.

Hi clundbe,

As I noted in my response to Astral Abyss, Grado Labs has just started shipment of the LA&OC 25th Anniversary headphones, via UPS, to US customers. However, I'm not sure what carrier Grado Labs uses for shipping to international clients, so you might want to drop them a line to find out, that way you can track your headphone's progress on their way to Oslo, Norway! :o2smile:

Apr 9, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #37,849 of 65,604
Hi Astral Abyss,

Although I never received an email confirmation of shipment from Grado Labs, I just checked the account that I have with UPS, and noticed that Grado Labs has just (as of this morning) shipped out the LA&OC 25th Anniversary headphones, and that they are on their way to my address, with an expected delivery of this coming Friday! You might want to go to the UPS tracking website as well, to confirm the day of actual delivery to your location. And just to note, a delivery signature will be required upon receiving.

<< :gs1000smile:Doing My Happy Dance!!:gs1000smile: >>

You're right. I checked this morning and it wasn't listed yet, but it's there now. Expected delivery is Friday as well. Nice!

Apr 10, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #37,850 of 65,604
Hi clundbe,

As I noted in my response to Astral Abyss, Grado Labs has just started shipment of the LA&OC 25th Anniversary headphones, via UPS, to US customers. However, I'm not sure what carrier Grado Labs uses for shipping to international clients, so you might want to drop them a line to find out, that way you can track your headphone's progress on their way to Oslo, Norway! :o2smile:
Hi. They are on there way :)

Apr 10, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #37,851 of 65,604
One of the best feelings... tracking down and counting down the days for the parcel to arrive! feels like Xmas, hehe
happy listening!
cheers!

Apr 13, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #37,852 of 65,604
My Grado setup:
- SR60e with third party (PRC) hard foam bagels.
- FiiO x3II and DK1.
- DIY RA1 clone with virtual ground for 2x9v batteries and 24v DC.

In the DIY paper towel stand there's a couple of third party bowl cups.

The cable is a braided cat5e.

Wow how do you like the sound? Normally I’d say the G-cushs would ruin the sound without an added “distancer”, but this might be different

Apr 13, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #37,853 of 65,604
Wow how do you like the sound? Normally I’d say the G-cushs would ruin the sound without an added “distancer”, but this might be different
Well, when I started wearing the bagel cups, I noticed the midrange going south and consequently the soundstage getting different. But the comfort tradeoff was advantageous. And now I don't really notice such a difference in sound. I'd say the bass gets different too, in quantity but also in quality, with more extension but less focus.

Apr 13, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #37,854 of 65,604
Well, when I started wearing the bagel cups, I noticed the midrange going south and consequently the soundstage getting different. But the comfort tradeoff was advantageous. And now I don't really notice such a difference in sound. I'd say the bass gets different too, in quantity but also in quality, with more extension but less focus.

By "quantity" do you mean that the bass is more expansive, or feels more intense?

Apr 13, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #37,855 of 65,604
By "quantity" do you mean that the bass is more expansive, or feels more intense?
I mean it extends for at least half an octave down. The lowest notes become slightly more defined.

Apr 13, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #37,857 of 65,604
I have a pair of Vintage button Grado RS1s that I have had for about 15 years. While my primary headphones are the Senn HD800S I still like to listen to my Grado RS1s on occasion. Especially with small ensemble acoustic music. Love the excellent tone and insight. While the RS1s have served me well I would say that the things I do not like about them are a spike in the upper midrange or treble, soundstage height, and getting congested on orchestra. Since my Grado RS1s are a couple of generations old I was wondering if getting an e series Grado would be an upgrade. Which new Grado would you all recommend as an upgrade for the vintage RS1? Would not spend more than what the GS2000e costs.

I have read that people do not like the new RS1es but do like the RS2e. Would the new RS2e be an upgrade over the vintage button RS1? Or even the SR325? Would mainly use for instrumental classical and other primarily acoustic music with vocals.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #37,858 of 65,604
I have a pair of Vintage button Grado RS1s that I have had for about 15 years. While my primary headphones are the Senn HD800S I still like to listen to my Grado RS1s on occasion. Especially with small ensemble acoustic music. Love the excellent tone and insight. While the RS1s have served me well I would say that the things I do not like about them are a spike in the upper midrange or treble, soundstage height, and getting congested on orchestra. Since my Grado RS1s are a couple of generations old I was wondering if getting an e series Grado would be an upgrade. Which new Grado would you all recommend as an upgrade for the vintage RS1? Would not spend more than what the GS2000e costs.

I have read that people do not like the new RS1es but do like the RS2e. Would the new RS2e be an upgrade over the vintage button RS1? Or even the SR325? Would mainly use for instrumental classical and other primarily acoustic music with vocals.

hard to say, your hd800s probably serve you well for classical, if you want more expansive soundstage, gs1000 probably could provide that but the sound will be different from rs1, you might not going to like their tuning, the other solution would be pad swapping but g-pad on rs1 not really a good idea. or maybe gh1, gh1 sound pretty nice although i haven't try it with g-pad, so i'm not sure if it will give you proper larger soundstage or not

Apr 14, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #37,859 of 65,604
I was also thinking about the Gh-1.

I wouldn't say any are really an upgrade to the classic Rs1. Not for my personal liking anyway. I suspect the Rs2e would be more transparent than the Rs1, and maybe lack a little meat on the bone so to speak vs the rs1. Pure speculation on my part, I haven't heard the rs2e.

The Gh1 might be what you are looking for, as far as the soundstage might be a bit more 3D vs Rs1 and the treble a bit more laid back. Not necessarily an upgrade to the vintage Rs1 but might be a bit more of what you're looking for in a Grado. If there's any way for you to audition any e gen Grados first, I'd recommend you do that first.

Apr 14, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #37,860 of 65,604
hard to say, your hd800s probably serve you well for classical, if you want more expansive soundstage, gs1000 probably could provide that but the sound will be different from rs1, you might not going to like their tuning, the other solution would be pad swapping but g-pad on rs1 not really a good idea. or maybe gh1, gh1 sound pretty nice although i haven't try it with g-pad, so i'm not sure if it will give you proper larger soundstage or not

Appreciate the feedback. The GH1 is a good idea for a complement to the RS1 vintage. I think there is a local dealer who has a pair and I will check them out. When it comes to soundstage I like the intimate soundstage of the Grado RS1. The more intimate soundstage is actually complementary to the HD800S. Just a little taller soundstage to the RS1 would be just right. And but he way while the HD800S is very good for classical especially orchestra I find them excellent for progressive rock. I listen to lots of progressive rock. It is with small ensemble classical and classical guitar that I sometimes prefer my Grado RS1 over the HD800S. Also I like to have more than one pair of headphones as a change of pace. Will always want some Grados in my rotation as they just do some things that no other headphone I have heard can do. And I have loved them ever since I got a pair of SR60s back in the 90s. I also have a pair of vintage 225s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back