Grado Fan Club!
Nov 24, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #36,798 of 65,656
Hi Danny,

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me.

Your description of the rs2e is exactly what i'm looking for in an upgrade from the sr125. As far describing the sound of headphones i'm not very confident in my knowledge of different headphones and how they sound, but 'punchy bass' and 'intimate mids' are what I love about my sr125's.

If i see some of the improvements that you describe like smoother treble and fuller mids, that would be great as my sr125's sometimes can be little harsh in the treble and abit shouty, if that's the correct term sometimes. I've read that this is one area the 'e' versions have improved and coming from an old non 'i' or 'e' headphone i should see an improvement in the treble area.

I've also never thought of my sr125's as being bass light, if there is a good bass line say from the Pixies or the Smiths, they will reproduce the bass great. I do know that they are bass light compared to alot of other headphones but this has never bothered me as i don't like too much bass, and certainly not muddy bass.

Thanks again
You're welcome. But remember when I compare RS2e to the SR line I was referring to the e series because I don't have much experience with prior generations. I think there're people far more experienced with Grado in this thread so don't take my words too seriously.

GH2 bass is not muddy, and though it bleeds into the mids a bit it's not that much as something like Westone UM PRO 30. But its presence is clearly felt. However, if you don't like too much bass, I must say RS2e also have a lot of bass. Actually I just checked @ruthieandjohn huge comparison, and as for the score for bass, RS2e gets a 76 but SR125 gets a 18, so that probably means these 2 headphones have very different bass performances. Probably I should shut up and let you explore that thread.

Oh and I was just listening the newly remastered the queen is dead album, and the drum sounds really good on RS2e..

Nov 24, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #36,801 of 65,656
i am just wondering, why so many people like Grado, it's one of the worst measuring brand of headphones?
they are champions in distortions and ringing
Low volume listening? Lean bass, treble emphasis and intimate soundstage probably make more engaging listening at lower volume than more neutral headphones?

Nov 24, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #36,803 of 65,656
holly molly
grado-uncrate-headphones-3.jpg

@ruthieandjohn do not buy those gs2000e yet!!!!!!

Nov 24, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #36,805 of 65,656
Yeah, the best way would be just try one of the lower models like the sr60e or sr80e. If you don't like them you probably won't like the others.
This is what I would suggest as well. Unlike some brands, Grado does have a running theme sound wise.

Nov 24, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #36,806 of 65,656
Nov 24, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #36,807 of 65,656
Right chaps, headphones ordered.

A site in the UK are having 10% off this weekend due to the black friday sales that we seem to have adopted over here. So a modest saving, but a saving none the less has brought the rs2e down to £440.

But before i decided what to do i wanted to email my local-ish store to give them the opportunity to match the price, although at my local the headphones came with a carry case, which in my email i said they could leave out if need be.

Anyway, i received an email within ten minutes saying they had dropped the price on their website and there was nothing said about dropping the case. Due to a member scheme there was also an extra fiver off and free next day delivery when checking out.

So, rs2e £435 with carry case and next day delivery, result!

Thanks for the helpful posts over the last 24 hours guy's, they've helped me to make my mind up.

Nov 24, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #36,808 of 65,656
wow, good for you! not that much different from an authorized us dealer. if you count the case price. congrats.happy listening
https://www.4ourears.net/rs2_p/4e-rs2e.htm

even though grados are very efficient headphone,it does help to bring the best out of them with amplifier though especially with higher end models.just modest one is enough.so if you found little bit disappointment about the sound, try to plug it to amplifier and give it a time

Nov 24, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #36,809 of 65,656
holly molly

@ruthieandjohn do not buy those gs2000e yet!!!!!!

I think I can resist! I know and love the GS2000e from a week of comparative listening against other headphones and amps. To me, the "Uncrate GS2000e" are an unknown headphone (but FUN!).

Nov 24, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #36,810 of 65,656
wow, good for you! not that much different from an authorized us dealer. if you count the case price. congrats.happy listening
https://www.4ourears.net/rs2_p/4e-rs2e.htm

even though grados are very efficient headphone,it does help to bring the best out of them with amplifier though especially with higher end models.just modest one is enough.so if you found little bit disappointment about the sound, try to plug it to amplifier and give it a time
Thanks, ruhenheiM.
The shop i bought them from is on the Grado uk website as my nearest authorised dealer.

They are mostly going to be used out of my pioneer dap, so hopefully they sound good out of that.

Edit: I've just noticed you said 'US dealer', I thought you mean't they might not be from an authorised dealer, sorry about that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back