Grado Fan Club!
Nov 23, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #36,766 of 65,651
Hi ruhenheiM,

Yeah, it's taking along while to post, infact i'd forgotten i'd even registered until today.

I'm definitely going to get to some new Grados but I might get my sr125's rewired as there is nothing wrong with the driver.

How difficult is to rewire a Grado earcup? I doubt I could do it, but there is a bloke in my local village who works above an electrical store and fixes stuff for the store, so I guess he might do it for me.

These headphones certainly don't owe me anything and they also need new L cush's as they are the original's and are now that flat my ears are sat on the driver's.

Thanks for the advice
Rewiring your SR125 is fairly easy if you know how to solder. I've gotten a SR325 repaired that had a dead driver for $75 (both drivers replaced) and they also installed the 8 conductor cable and provided a new gimbal since one of the pins on one gimbal broke when I was trying to switch the ear cups since the right and left cups were on the wrong side. I don't know if Grado USA will accept your SR125 from the UK, you might have to check with them to see who does the repairs for them in the UK but be warned that the "authorized" service center in the UK might not be as reasonable / cheap / accommodating as the service we get here in the US.

I think the suggestion to mod your SR125 is a great way to tune the sound of them if there is any part of the stock sound signature that you feel is lacking. Mods includes dynamat, sorbothane, felt, ear pads, and vent opening.

All my Grado headphones (RS2e, SR225e and SR60) are modded and for me the changes in sound from stock has been a welcome improvement. The best thing with the mods is the added comfort of generic G-pads over the stock Grado L-pads that are quite uncomfortable to me and the use of SMC jacks so the cables are now removable. I don't care for the stock Grado cable since its either too short or too long and also the new 8 conductor version is so heavy for such a light headphone.

I agree with @ruhenheiM about getting the GH-2 over the RS2e if they are the same price since it will be much easier to sell if you don't like them. I'd also suggest looking into custom builds made with alternative drivers from Nhoord, Elleven Acoustica, Turbulent and Symphones if you are looking for what I consider a better balanced sound signature.

Nov 23, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #36,767 of 65,651
Hi Matt, I happen to have all 3 headphones you mentioned. For me it’s RS2e >= GH2 > SR225e. But as ruhenheiM said, GH2 at this price is a steal. (I paid $800 for them.. it was rediculously priced in China.)

That said, GH2 have a different sound character than the other 2.

Hi Danny,

I have to admit I like the way that both the rs2e and the GH2 look, I like the brown headband and sharper shape cups on the rs2e, but i also like the colour and curved wood on the GH2 with the black headband.

To be honest though it's the sound that's most important to me, so what do you find are the difference's between the two? and what is about the sound that makes you prefer the rs2e?

I didn't expect someone to have all three, so that's cool.

Nov 23, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #36,768 of 65,651
Hi Danny,

I have to admit I like the way that both the rs2e and the GH2 look, I like the brown headband and sharper shape cups on the rs2e, but i also like the colour and curved wood on the GH2 with the black headband.

To be honest though it's the sound that's most important to me, so what do you find are the difference's between the two? and what is about the sound that makes you prefer the rs2e?

Don't poke the monster, although he probably doesn't have gh2 but who knew

Nov 23, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #36,769 of 65,651
Some great advice DavidA and ruhenheiM, thanks.

Alas I don't think modding is for me, although i don't doubt that can be a great way to go.

I didn't realise to rewire, the cups have to be opened, so i think i'll retire my sr125's, they certainly don't owe me anything

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #36,771 of 65,651
Some great advice DavidA and ruhenheiM, thanks.

Alas I don't think modding is for me, although i don't doubt that can be a great way to go.

I didn't realise to rewire, the cups have to be opened, so i think i'll retire my sr125's, they certainly don't owe me anything
The cups are opened using a hair dryer or I like the soaking in shallow <15mm depth hot water method, really simple, much easier than dealing with tiny screws to me.

Might want to check out the "Grado Mods" thread for more info and some great advice by those that love to mod them.

Nov 23, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #36,772 of 65,651
I take it you mean RuthieandJohn?

That's quite the collection (i've seen the photo on the outside bench)

Although i see he sold some..................and then bought some more. Hope you enjoy the new headphones, John.

He Who Must Not Be Named

bless your soul:wave::wave:

Nov 23, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #36,773 of 65,651
@New Noise
Funny comment about @ruthieandjohn. All in good fun, I actually posted a very similar comment to him years ago.

I haven't heard the RS2e, but most have said when the (e) series were released the RS2e was the new RS1i due to the RS1e straying very much from that "Grado sound".. I own the RS1i and 325is, and I've owned the GH2 which I just recently sold. I sold them because they weren't getting much use, and they really weren't for me after +/-50hrs of burn in. I found I much preferred my RS1i/325is due to their "Grado sound" whereas the GH2 strays a bit. I'm not saying this was a bad thing, just different. Just a thought to keep in mind.

Nov 23, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #36,774 of 65,651
No, I don’t (yet) have the GH-2, and right now am eagerly awaiting Small Business Saturday (falls between Black Friday and Cyner Monday) to go to my small-business Grado dealer and order the PS2000e and GS2000e. But I still have my sights on the GH-2, as despite my headphone selling, I am still collecting both collector item Grados (e.g., GH-2, Bushmills, HP1000) and ones I just love (e.g., RS-2e, PS-1000, GS1000i).

Nov 23, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #36,775 of 65,651
@New Noise
Funny comment about @ruthieandjohn. All in good fun, I actually posted a very similar comment to him years ago.

I haven't heard the RS2e, but most have said when the (e) series were released the RS2e was the new RS1i due to the RS1e straying very much from that "Grado sound".. I own the RS1i and 325is, and I've owned the GH2 which I just recently sold. I sold them because they weren't getting much use, and they really weren't for me after +/-50hrs of burn in. I found I much preferred my RS1i/325is due to their "Grado sound" whereas the GH2 strays a bit. I'm not saying this was a bad thing, just different. Just a thought to keep in mind.

Hi Joseph, good to see you posting, you were one of the poster's that stuck out whilst i was looking through this thread. I promise i didn't come across your comment towards RuthieandJohn, i only use my own material lol.

I've just read in the GH2 impressions thread that you thought there was too much bass that then bleeds into the mids, is that what you mean by them straying from the Grado sound?

Nov 23, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #36,776 of 65,651
Thank you, and I believe you used your own material, you had the same thought as me.

Yes, for me, the bass bled a bit into the mid-range and upper frequencies which seemed to cause them to suffer the detail/clarity I'm used to with Grados in this model range. For me, the bass on the GH2 was more quantity rather than the quality.

Nov 23, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #36,777 of 65,651
Thank you, and I believe you used your own material, you had the same thought as me.

Yes, for me, the bass bled a bit into the mid-range and upper frequencies which seemed to cause them to suffer the detail/clarity I'm used to with Grados in this model range. For me, the bass on the GH2 was more quantity rather than the quality.

Really interesting thoughts, Joseph.

It's gone 4am here, guys, so i'm off to bed. Athough I won't be the only one still up watching the ashes (that's cricket, chaps) in England.

Cheers

Nov 24, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #36,778 of 65,651
I am on the verge of purchasing the PS2000e and GS2000e, and I am trying to decide whether to get either of them in balanced mode. The GS2000e I auditioned was balanced, and I could hear a small improvement on balanced over single ended, despite the fact that every amp that I have that can do balanced (HiFiMAN EF6,Sennheiser HDVD800, and Sony PHA3) all have output impedance that are too high for 32 ohm Grados. I also have the CEntrance HiFiM8, which has a balanced connection but is not truly balanced, near as I can tell from its behavior. The PS2000e I tried was single ended and shined with the Joseph Grado HPA1 amp, also single ended.

If I got either headphone balanced, I would also need to get a balanced amp.

Any suggestions for a reasonably-priced low impedance amp or DAC/amp for Grados?

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #36,779 of 65,651
Hi Danny,

I first had 225e after I was told they’re much more refined than 325e (turned out not so much), then bought GH2 cos they’re limited (and looks stunning). And I also have 500e so I thought I might never buy another Grado until maybe someday I become super rich and then I may purchase a TOTL Grado.. I still don’t know why I clicked the buy button on just another ordinary day but I’m glad I did it.

For me RS2e are great because they retain everything that makes the SR series so special (punchy bass, intimate mids, transparency), but also make them a little better: better bass quality, more full bodied mids, much smoother treble. I don’t mean huge improvement, more like refinement, but the result is really good.

As for GH2, compared with other Grado, it’s laid back and bass heavy. But I agree with what Joseph said, it’s more quantity than quality, and it bleeds into the mids a little. I can’t say it’s better or worse, it’s just different, and I think it depends on genre and mood. Just when I want some “Grado” I’d reach for RS2e more. But if I want some Nick Drake on a lazy Sunday afternoon or for long time non fatiguing listening GH2 is hard to beat.

Nov 24, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #36,780 of 65,651
I first had 225e after I was told they’re much more refined than 325e (turned out not so much), then bought GH2 cos they’re limited (and looks stunning). And I also have 500e so I thought I might never buy another Grado until maybe someday I become super rich and then I may purchase a TOTL Grado.. I still don’t know why I clicked the buy button on just another ordinary day but I’m glad I did it.

For me RS2e are great because they retain everything that makes the SR series so special (punchy bass, intimate mids, transparency), but also make them a little better: better bass quality, more full bodied mids, much smoother treble. I don’t mean huge improvement, more like refinement, but the result is really good.

As for GH2, compared with other Grado, it’s laid back and bass heavy. But I agree with what Joseph said, it’s more quantity than quality, and it bleeds into the mids a little. I can’t say it’s better or worse, it’s just different, and I think it depends on genre and mood. Just when I want some “Grado” I’d reach for RS2e more. But if I want some Nick Drake on a lazy Sunday afternoon or for long time non fatiguing listening GH2 is hard to beat.

Hi Danny,

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me.

Your description of the rs2e is exactly what i'm looking for in an upgrade from the sr125. As far describing the sound of headphones i'm not very confident in my knowledge of different headphones and how they sound, but 'punchy bass' and 'intimate mids' are what I love about my sr125's.

If i see some of the improvements that you describe like smoother treble and fuller mids, that would be great as my sr125's sometimes can be little harsh in the treble and abit shouty, if that's the correct term sometimes. I've read that this is one area the 'e' versions have improved and coming from an old non 'i' or 'e' headphone i should see an improvement in the treble area.

I've also never thought of my sr125's as being bass light, if there is a good bass line say from the Pixies or the Smiths, they will reproduce the bass great. I do know that they are bass light compared to alot of other headphones but this has never bothered me as i don't like too much bass, and certainly not muddy bass.

Thanks again

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back