Grado Fan Club!
Oct 22, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #33,616 of 65,629
Been working my @ss of these last 3 months and havenot had a proper audio experience since. Next month I will go back to my home with my self-bought homecoming gift: Chord Hugo.

This could be the entrance for me into the GS and PS upper lines. My past experiences with them have been less than impressive, but now I would have one of the top notch DAC amps on earth - which many say is must have to bring out the full potential in the fullsize Grados.

I'm really excited. Nevertheless I will need to finish the one week of work left ahead.

I, too, bought the Chord Hugo.  Actually, I persuaded my wife Ruthie to buy it for me, but as a Christmas gift.  So right now it is in the house, but I am not allowed to try it until Christmas.

Oct 22, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #33,617 of 65,629
  I, too, bought the Chord Hugo.  Actually, I persuaded my wife Ruthie to buy it for me, but as a Christmas gift.  So right now it is in the house, but I am not allowed to try it until Christmas.

That's hard-core discipline.

Oct 22, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #33,618 of 65,629

That's hard-core discipline.

+1...what discipline.

John, might be time to start getting "snoopy" 
tongue.gif

Oct 22, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #33,619 of 65,629
Nope... condition of gift is No Peeking.

(But I DID trade some non-Grado headphones for a Lotoo PAW Gold, which some say sounds as good as or better than the Chord Hugo!!  It does sound GREAT with Grados.)  

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #33,621 of 65,629
I had not heard of it either. Grado alerted me to it as the one they use as a reference, and I then found that it made its debut on head-fi on the thread titled something like "Obscure Chinese DAPs." Head-fier audionewbie started a thread on the Lotoo PAW Gold that is quite mature now.

They are VERY hard to find in the US, particularly since www.lotoo.cn has shut down the English translation of their website. A special version for the emerging Abyss Diana headphone has been developed by theevolutionofsound.com, official US distributor for the Lotoo PAW Gold Diana Edition. I believe its only difference from the standard is that it adds another 6 dB of output level. It lists at $2399.

Comparisons on the "Introducing the Lotoo Gold" thread generally rate it better than the Astell-Kern 240, and on a par or just under the Red Wine Astell Kern (RWAK) 380, and comparable to the Chord Hugo plus amp.

Oct 23, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #33,622 of 65,629
We respect you, we enjoy your wisdom and insight and your praise of the Grado sound. We will miss you from this thread and hope that you will find reason to return quickly. You are one of the handful of posters on this thread that I always try to read. Godspeed!

Thanks a lot John. I'll miss you too.
Meeting someone like you (albeit virtually), made me pretty happy inside because of two things. I'm a hopeless romantic (or hopeful?, lol). Anyway I was happy when I saw your username becomes ruthieandjohn, and the fact that I was here leading up to that. I believe in love and I'm happy when somebody found theirs.
More than that, seeing your collection gave me validation that there are somebody out there that is as crazy as me.
As you and many are probably aware, from the time that I've been here, I'm not exactly in any position to buy things in the present. However, believe you me that I had the utmost intention to collect all the non-limited edition grado headphones just because I can (one day).

So... knowing that there is somebody out there that owns all the non-limited edition grado headphones (and then some), validates my innermost desire that that is a normal thing to do.

Since I know you like the hd800, that will probably be something I would consider getting in the far future, because your opinion to me, carries weight. So..... at the very least, it's not going to be the last time we'll see each other on head-fi (should I ever get a hd800(or S), I'll probably visit their thread one day in the far future).

@rovopio 

I respect your decision for leaving Grado due to your experiences, but that doesn't mean you can't post on this thread being this is IMO/IME thread has the best community that has no problem speaking about any manufacturer or piece of equipment one might have…so don't hesitate to post what this future hobby may bring your way! 

"...this thread has the best community ". It is, yeah I agree. It is definitely one of the best community within the community. This thread sorta flew under the radar because it's a "fan club" and because it's a fan club of "grado". Since the grado sound is an acquired taste, people with similar "acquired" taste gets along more, maybe. At least that's the way I noticed it. Especially the long-stayers.

No offense and I'm saying this in the best of ways but you also kinda have to be a bit crazy in the head to buy non sr60/80/125/225 grado models because they almost sound the same (acc. to others).

I think going from sr60 to the higher-up lines were very much worth it, but I understand the view of many other people that can't hear much difference between 80 and 225, much less to ever considering getting something like a rs1 or even a ps1000/gs2000. I say this with the highest of respect, we kinda a crazy bunch over here buying the more expensive grado, methinks. You kinda have to be a bit crazy in the head to put grado as a #1 / #2 option when there are many, many other headphones in the market.

So, many of us get along.

I don't have any plan to buy stax (short-term or long-term) due to the price and amps requirements, and I hate waiting (in this context, the BHSE). But if hd800(S) doesn't engage me the way I wanted to, I probably will consider researching and checking out STAX (likely the 007 first, but at that far future who knows what STAX models will be available then).

I have a feeling there will come a time that I will be more open both in ideas and in situation, to consider a STAX. After all, all this time I was in love with an American brand that treats me nonchalantly. and yet, I never open my eye to the possibility that I might like the more domestic brand of STAX. I speak some degree of Japanese and I know the culture to some extent, so I'm hopeful for a standard Japanese treatment, and their standard is good enough for me.
That far-future goal of getting all them grado headphones (like ~$6000 in total?), can be pooled to STAX at that far future point, should I ever want to.

So it may (may not be) the last time we'll bump into each other Joseph.

Huge respect to you my friend.

I encourage everyone to treat the brands the same way they're treated. I've never had any form of communication or support from Grado, the only experience I've had is the headphones themselves.. which is why I'm here and why I give so much love to Grado.. the sound and the niche and everything is just enticing.

That said.. stinks you had a bad experience and I'm really sorry things didn't work out. I'd be happy if you still stuck around the thread and if not then at least feel free to message me anytime!

Thanks Dillan. I appreciate your response, both now, and a few months ago when I just bought that last grado headphones. We don't talk much (if any?), but from the way you write your replies to me, I can feel that you are as good a soul as other people in this thread. I'm happy that you found a headphone that suit your preference.
Grado is a normal company, they are neither good or bad. It's the system they devised that made what happened to me became possible, and it's also just a perfect storm of ****-uppery from all parties involved. The person from Grado US, the distributor, the dealer, and myself. Every party had some role that in the end, broke me.

I highly doubt what is currently happening to me will or even can happen to anybody else in this planet. Just from the sheer audacity of it. It's unthinkable that anybody else will experienced the same thing. But stranger things have happened on this planet, so there's that too.

What I'm trying to say is that while yes, I talk on Grado on the past several posts on this thread, I talk on them based on how the whole thing made me feel (or at least I tried to express it from that view). I don't think they are anywhere near bad as a company per se. I respect the effort and decisions Grado person did to develop the brand and the company to what it currently is.
I think as a whole, they are a normal company. What is happening to me is just extremely ****ty but it's also extremely unlikely to ever happen to anybody else.

So, to anybody that love Grado, no reason to not continue loving them.

----
I said last time that "this week" is the last time I will visit, and not that particular day (whatever day it was I last posted), was because... you know it Sundays everywhere in the world when some people here posted some youtube link for others to enjoy. I wanted to experience a Sunday here one last time.

Anyway, goodbye everybody. See you in other threads.

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #33,625 of 65,629
I know my Grados have increased my musical enjoyment more than any piece of gear I have owned. I have over $20k in my stereo and I often think the Grados connect me to the music better than my stereo.

Perhaps that is why Grado's signature line on their emails is "Grado's get you closer to the music."

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #33,626 of 65,629
I know my Grados have increased my musical enjoyment more than any piece of gear I have owned. I have over $20k in my stereo and I often think the Grados connect me to the music better than my stereo.
As much as I love my Grado GH1s, to me my stereo still sounds a lot better. I'm curious, what amp, dac and speakers are you using? Feel free to send a PM.

Oct 24, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #33,627 of 65,629
As much as I love my Grado GH1s, to me my stereo still sounds a lot better. I'm curious, what amp, dac and speakers are you using? Feel free to send a PM.

I think it comes down to values. I don't put a high value on soundstage (I listen to modern music) which is the real advantage of speakers. Once you take that away it is easy to like headphones as much or more. Soundstage is just a special effect (of the studio) to me. I can change it by moving my speakers or changing up the room. I do like it but I don't focus on it anymore as there at so many things that effect it.

The music just seems to be more natural through the Grados. Maybe it is the lack of crossovers, single driver, controlled environment of headphones but I like them. The only time the speakers really make the headphones sound bad is on music that relies on sub bass. The JL subs are a hard act to follow.

My current system is

thiel 2.4cs speakers
2, JL E112 (actively crossed over)
McIntosh 252
Wyred 4 sound DAC2 (no preamp)
Dedicated treated room.

Oct 24, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #33,628 of 65,629
I think it comes down to values. I don't put a high value on soundstage (I listen to modern music) which is the real advantage of speakers. Once you take that away it is easy to like headphones as much or more. Soundstage is just a special effect (of the studio) to me. I can change it by moving my speakers or changing up the room. I do like it but I don't focus on it anymore as there at so many things that effect it.

The music just seems to be more natural through the Grados. Maybe it is the lack of crossovers, single driver, controlled environment of headphones but I like them. The only time the speakers really make the headphones sound bad is on music that relies on sub bass. The JL subs are a hard act to follow.

My current system is

thiel 2.4cs speakers
2, JL E112 (actively crossed over)
McIntosh 252
Wyred 4 sound DAC2 (no preamp)
Dedicated treated room.
very nice system you have there. I agree that JLs are exceptional subs. I've heard the Thiels but I've only read good things. At this point, I say enjoy your Grados :). If you're looking to try something else, I suggest you audition a pair of magnpans or Harbeth, if you haven't already. The mids are fantastic on these speakers and the music sounds very natural. Reminds me of grados actually.

Oct 24, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #33,629 of 65,629

I was joking more than anything. I do really like the simplicity of the grado design, and its on my list.
I think every headphone nut should have a sr60 at minimum in their lineup, and i will soon enough.

Just had to get some other cans first :p and the sr60/80 is on a short list of 5.

I don't think i will be a grado "modder" or go down the alessandro route as I would just want to experience the  grado sound or to know what its like kind of like how many know the ksc35/75/portapro sound

ITS A MUST I TELLS ya!
biggrin.gif

I just commented b/c of that fella who had some heartache or summat like that due to the brand, but it wont deter me in my quest to know its grado mysteries, and lucky for me i am not sensitive to erratic treble spike (if there is any)

Oct 24, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #33,630 of 65,629
Well, I just received my shipping notice that my GH-1's are out to be shipped today. Can't wait till they get here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back