Grado Fan Club!
Oct 9, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #33,556 of 65,584
I preferred the after market "Grado" drivers like Ypsilon and Nhoord (especially) over the Grado GH1.
I'm wondering how the Grado RS1e (with non-protruding driver) might compare with the Ypsilon and Nhoord? Anyone?
I did have both the RS1e (protruding driver) and GH1, tempted to try the RS1e again.

Oct 9, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #33,557 of 65,584

I also liberated the drivers on a ps500 a few months ago. I believe I got most of the glue off by peeling it with my finger nail. Grado uses Elmer's wood glue. I used it when I reassembled it and I also used it on my Magnum V7 build to glue my aluminum cups to mahogany sleeves. It cured same as Grados do.

Hi Joseph,
It was done out of necessity, my friend had run over the cable of her RS2e with her office chair so it needed to be fixed.  I actually tried to see if it was hot glue at first, cut a piece off and used a heat gun and it didn't melt, asked on this thread and the person with the scalpel idea said it was wood glue which makes sense since you wouldn't want hot glue next to the driver which might damage it.
I used a latex wood glue when re-installing the driver which looks very much like the original.  I'm probably going to do the removable cables on my RS2e in the future since the original cable it just too heavy and short for me.

Thank you both for the info.
@wormsdriver…even more interesting that you liberated the PS500 being it has a wood driver housing.
Is the wood driver housing as thick as the plastic driver housing like on the SR/RS2 models, or does it have a very thin/fragile wall?
I'd say it's thicker than the plastic models. To be clear, I did the same as @DavidA mentioned above. I only liberated the drivers from the wood, not the wooden sleeves from the aluminum cups.

I forgot to mention if anyone is doing this, you can press down a bit and rotate on the front of the driver itself to break off from the wood glue. Then it's easier to peel off the glue with your finger nails since most of the glue is on the surface itself and not wedged in between the driver and the wood. :wink:

Oct 9, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #33,558 of 65,584
Hi! I've got the RS2e's which do not have removable headphone cords. For the last few weeks, right up until last night, I've been on this long hunt for a headphone case which doesn't constrict the cord running out of the ear cups. I have the EarZonk case in front of me, and it does in fact mush the cords. Should I worry? Anyone have experience with this fear, and what do you do? You guys ROCK!!!!

I think I've posted this here before, but here goes: https://www.amazon.com/Slappa-Full-Sized-HardBody-Headphone-Protection/dp/B009NE7B06

I use that Slappa hardbody pro hardcase with my 125e. Fits with room to spare, even with Grado G cushions on. The case is waterproof and very sturdily built as well.

Oct 9, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #33,559 of 65,584
I'd say it's thicker than the plastic models. To be clear, I did the same as @DavidA mentioned above. I only liberated the drivers from the wood, not the wooden sleeves from the aluminum cups.

I forgot to mention if anyone is doing this, you can press down a bit and rotate on the front of the driver itself to break off from the wood glue. Then it's easier to peel off the glue with your finger nails since most of the glue is on the surface itself and not wedged in between the driver and the wood.
wink.gif

Thank you for the clarification and the tip!
I'm not doing any mods to a wood Grado, but it is nice to have some input/tips for the future just incase. 
smile.gif

Oct 9, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #33,560 of 65,584

I forgot to mention if anyone is doing this, you can press down a bit and rotate on the front of the driver itself to break off from the wood glue. Then it's easier to peel off the glue with your finger nails since most of the glue is on the surface itself and not wedged in between the driver and the wood.
wink.gif

Thanks for this tip, I'll try it when I get around to working on my RS2e.

Oct 9, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #33,561 of 65,584
I think I've posted this here before, but here goes: https://www.amazon.com/Slappa-Full-Sized-HardBody-Headphone-Protection/dp/B009NE7B06

I use that Slappa hardbody pro hardcase with my 125e. Fits with room to spare, even with Grado G cushions on. The case is waterproof and very sturdily built as well.

I took your advice. Thank you so much!

Oct 14, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #33,564 of 65,584
I just pull the trigger on the GS2000e yesterday. I am burning in right now. After 20 hours this beautiful looking wood headphone sounds amazingly sweet. Not at all harsh. More musical then the HD 800S. Far more easy to break in I think. Very nice TOTL phones.

Oct 14, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #33,565 of 65,584
How is the GH-1 + G-Cush for Classical?
In my opinion the GH1 w/G-cush are absolutely fantastic with all natural instruments (especially vocals, strings, woodwind). I listen to classical music all the time and they sound great. If I had to say anything negative, I would say that I've head better HPs (HD800) providing a cleaner full range when listening to symphonies but I listen to Mahler all the time and they sound great. The best way to put it is these HPs are just very fun and musical. My go to HP...just about everything sounds good... I can listen for hours at a time. Btw, I'm still on the fence on the G-Cush, it seems to depend a lot on the type of music.

Oct 15, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #33,566 of 65,584
  How is the GH-1 + G-Cush for Classical?

I would have to say that I agree with @cygnusx, although I have ever heard Senn HD800 to comment on that comparison.  I listen to classical only occasionally, but I have found the signature of the GH1 to be particularly good (although I do use the G cushions almost exclusively).  Vivaldi Four Seasons and Copeland Appalachian Spring are two of my favorite pieces, and I can say that with the GH1 the listening experience is dynamic.  I am not convinced that the G cushions provide wider sound stage than the L cushions, as others have suggested.  While I would agree that this claim makes some sense as the drivers are farther from the ear with the G cushions, I just find them more comfortable.

Not sure what your musical tastes are, but Allman Brothers Fillmore East + GH1/G = AMAZING.

Oct 15, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #33,567 of 65,584
So I have had Grados on an off for the last 15 year and never tried the lower end Grados until just recently.

I ordered a pair of SR60es as s gift for a friend and gave them a try to make sure I was not giving away a poor sounding headphone.

I am beyond impressed with the SR60e. Straight out of the box they are great. The sound signature is very close to the PS500e with a warm sounds with somewhat suppressed highs. The SR60e seems to have more bass extention than most Grados (equal to the PS500e) with more quaintly due to the stock pads.

In direct comparision to the PS500e the Mids seem a little muddy, and the highs lack a little detail using the stock pads. Switching the pads the muddiness transfers to the PS500e.

So using the same L-Cush pads on both what you gain going from the SR60e to PS500e is smoother Mids (no 2k spike from what I can tell) and a little more detail across the board. Just a little more refined sound. Back to back it is pretty clear there is less "cabinet" noise and it cleans up the sound a bit but the difference is not as big as you would expect. With that said the SR60e sounds a little stringent in the upper Mids when compared to the PS500e. I would have not noticed it without something to compair it too.

Now I like the SR60e better than the Focal Elear (which I also own)...

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #33,568 of 65,584
I've had some time to think, and I think I've come up with a decision to purge my Grado and move on from the brand. So this week will be the last week I will ever visit Grado Fan Club.
So I come to say goodbye.
Grado is the headphones for me, the company themselves however, is not the company that treats me well as an individual. I love grado deeply. I love it more than just a headphone. That is likely why I got hurt deeply by what had happened from last month.

I have a belief if I am a US-based person I would be a happy camper, seeing from how everybody here that is in the US received a decent service from Grado.
I would so very much like to say that Grado US have nothing to do with my bad experience, so that I can say and maintain the feeling that the brand itself did nothing, and it's their chains that had done me wrong. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Grado US themselves had a quasi-direct hand on my current experience, in the sense that their system of communication is the very thing that made it possible for their dealers to arbitrarily act the way they despicably acted towards me, and at the same time, how that behavior can went unchecked from top-to-bottom, for this long.

I know many of you guys here know that my grado headphone that I own long before I joined head-fi was one of my more prized possession. I'm very thankful to grado for creating such a headphone (/sound signature) that had been there for me for many, many years.
What happened last month tainted my attachment to the brand. This is the end of the road for me and my attachment to Grado. At least for now.

I am not closing the possibility that I will one day get another grado again. But if such a time comes, it will be more of a factor if I happen to find a dealer that is fair, and definitely when and if I move and live someplace else, not where I currently lived. I still can't deny that I love the sound grado headphones produced. It's just that it's sadly a one-sided love on my side, so I am ending it now.

This thread is the one singular thread on head-fi that is more than just a thread, and it's because of you guys.

I would like to say a big thank you to everybody that have been here ever since I first arrived on head-fi and have helped me and replied to my numerous posts. Thanks and goodbye to williamleonhart, stacker, joseph, ruthieandjohn, jaywillin, sling5s, focker, parbaked, whirlwind, wormsdriver, greenbow, macedonianhero, pfillion, mercuttio, amictus, swspiers, joedoe, wildcatsare1, bpcans, adtrance, dillan, davidA, and many others whose names doesn't pop up in my head at this very moment.

Have a good life you all. I wish you all the very best you can have in life.

Oct 16, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #33,569 of 65,584
I've had some time to think, and I think I've come up with a decision to purge my Grado and move on from the brand. So this week will be the last week I will ever visit Grado Fan Club.
So I come to say goodbye.
Grado is the headphones for me, the company themselves however, is not the company that treats me well as an individual. I love grado deeply. I love it more than just a headphone. That is likely why I got hurt deeply by what had happened from last month.

I have a belief if I am a US-based person I would be a happy camper, seeing from how everybody here that is in the US received a decent service from Grado.
I would so very much like to say that Grado US have nothing to do with my bad experience, so that I can say and maintain the feeling that the brand itself did nothing, and it's their chains that had done me wrong. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Grado US themselves had a quasi-direct hand on my current experience, in the sense that their system of communication is the very thing that made it possible for their dealers to arbitrarily act the way they despicably acted towards me, and at the same time, how that behavior can went unchecked from top-to-bottom, for this long.

We respect you, we enjoy your wisdom and insight and your praise of the Grado sound. We will miss you from this thread and hope that you will find reason to return quickly. You are one of the handful of posters on this thread that I always try to read. Godspeed!

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #33,570 of 65,584
@rovopio 

I respect your decision for leaving Grado due to your experiences, but that doesn't mean you can't post on this thread being this is IMO/IME thread has the best community that has no problem speaking about any manufacturer or piece of equipment one might have…so don't hesitate to post what this future hobby may bring your way! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back