Grado Fan Club!
Aug 27, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #33,286 of 65,555

They are some of my favorite, just put the right pads on them. They were good back then but they collect dust because the ps500e are that much better. 

Don't let them collect dust, sell them to a fellow Head-Fi'er! 
dt880smile.png

Aug 27, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #33,288 of 65,555
They are some of my favorite, just put the right pads on them. They were good back then but they collect dust because the ps500e are that much better. 

Tried grado flat, l and g cushions ...

Some time ago listened to the previous version of the ps500, it's not my cup of tea, i definety love the sound of my two rs2e (for office and home) with g cushions, the rs2e has replaced my gs1000e as primary headphone, and while i love the engaging sound signature of the gh1 from time to time and at the moment try to find out if i like the sound of the rs1e i got last week i am looking forward to hear the gs2000e hopefully getting the soundstage of the gs1000e with the transparency and precision of the rs2e.

Aug 27, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #33,289 of 65,555
Tried grado flat, l and g cushions ...

Some time ago listened to the previous version of the ps500, it's not my cup of tea, i definety love the sound of my two rs2e (for office and home) with g cushions, the rs2e has replaced my gs1000e as primary headphone, and while i love the engaging sound signature of the gh1 from time to time and at the moment try to find out if i like the sound of the rs1e i got last week i am looking forward to hear the gs2000e hopefully getting the soundstage of the gs1000e with the transparency and precision of the rs2e.

When I put Gs on the ps500e which I found moderately better than the ps500, they become amazing.

Aug 27, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #33,291 of 65,555
I've posted my impressions of my newly-purchased, brown-headband, non-protruding driver RS1e here.  In short, I love them as one of my top Grados, but they score rather low in my three-way comparison tests on 10 acoustic features,humbling me again with the reminder that scores on those tests do not equate to listening pleasure!

Thnx for your hard work ruthieandjohn :)
I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on the HF2 once you source one.

Aug 27, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #33,292 of 65,555
Just compared my Grados to my Audio Technica ath-w1000x 

I think my Grados beat even them in the vocals and midrange! The w1000x are pretty heavy for my head so listening to them while using the computer was a bit of a pain. 

But the Grados are light, a bit rough on the ears but they really excel and make you forget you're even wearing them.  

Aug 27, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #33,293 of 65,555
Thnx for your hard work ruthieandjohn
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on the HF2 once you source one.

Ha!  I JUST bought one!

Aug 27, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #33,294 of 65,555
Just compared my Grados to my Audio Technica ath-w1000x 

I think my Grados beat even them in the vocals and midrange! The w1000x are pretty heavy for my head so listening to them while using the computer was a bit of a pain. 

But the Grados are light, a bit rough on the ears but they really excel and make you forget you're even wearing them.  
I'm hugely disappointed by the w1000, so I won't be surprised to hear the w1000x don't do well in comparison with Grados. I think only the AD line is on par with my Grados

Aug 28, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #33,295 of 65,555
Because Grado fans have a reputation for playing nice when it comes to other brands, I'm taking the liberty to post these pics of the new Focal Utopia flagship.

As you can see, they drew the attention of mister Charlot, who seems as impressed as I am, so, a comparison is in order.

Well, I only had time to listen to one song for now, but I have to admit, it's not looking good for the SR80e.

I'll do some more comparing later, and report back.

Aug 28, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #33,296 of 65,555
  Because Grado fans have a reputation for playing nice when it comes to other brands, I'm taking the liberty to post these pics of the new Focal Utopia flagship.

As you can see, they drew the attention of mister Charlot, who seems as impressed as I am, so, a comparison is in order.

Well, I only had time to listen to one song for now, but I have to admit, it's not looking good for the SR80e.

Congratulations.
I've read nothing but great reviews about these HP's…can't wait to hear your impressions, enjoy!

Aug 28, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #33,297 of 65,555

I think in this instance...you are safe to toss those SR80's off to the side
tongue.gif

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #33,299 of 65,555
@ruthieandjohn I read uour post on your initial findings with your new RS1e. However I will still be looking forward to your complete impressions later, when you have them completely run-in. Please keep us posted. It's almost an adventure waiting to see what the new RS1e is like, after the sage of the old RS1e. Here's to waiting.
beerchug.gif

Aug 28, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #33,300 of 65,555
When I put Gs on the ps500e which I found moderately better than the ps500, they become amazing.

I couldn't agree more with the PS500e; used to have 325is and they were too bright with "hot", almost distorted sounding upper mids.  PS500e with EarZonk G (NOT Grado oem, which are also too edgy) are basically perfection.  They sound balanced and natural with just a bit of a bass boost and the imaging / detail is still excellent.

I haven't found a better headphone myself, with maybe the exception of the new Focal Utopia & Elear, both of which I was able to hear at the last Seattle meet.  The soundstage on the Focal stuff is even more realistic, and they have Grado-like dynamics combined with extended lows and a slightly more neutral top end.  Good stuff, but still ridiculously priced!

Although they may have too many flavors to choose from in their product lineup, making initial brand loyalty more difficult than it needs to be, who can beat Grado for value whether an SR80e or a PS500e with a simple pad swap?  Being easy to amp is another huge plus compared to the insanity $$$$ pairings I see at meets trying to get most of those kilobuck cans to not sound boring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back