Grado Fan Club!
Jun 2, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #32,161 of 65,674
They have 100 hours on them according to Todd. I will run the Purist Audio Ultimate System disc for the required break-in before listening.

The pair has the 4 pin xlr option with a 1/4 inch adapter.

I will primarily use the Pulse Infinity and the Liquid Carbon using Roon.

Excellent, I would be anxious to hear your comparison of the balanced to the 1/4 inch connection. With more than a few amps in my arsenal I have a real itch to get a Liquid Carbon. I am sure you are very pleased with it. At the moment I mostly run my Grados on a MAD Ear + HD or TEAC HA-501.

Gee, I wonder what you will be up to Saturday night and Sunday....

Jun 4, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #32,162 of 65,674
I am a recent convert to Grado. I now have the 60e, 125e, 225e and 325e. I know some people detect marginal improvements from 60e upwards to 125e. But to me, I think there's that extra bit of definition between 125e and 225e that makes me enjoy my pop/rock, jazz and interestingly classical sound better. I am really enjoying my Lee Ritenour and Pat Metheny more and more. The instrument separation is extraordinary. 

I love the spaciousness of the 325e and that has been the best buy for me this year. I never considered Grados before. But after picking them up recently I am sold.

Am set up at home with a Fiio e10k and IFI Audio iCAN amp + laptop. I often swap the Fiio e10K with my microstreamer.

Am looking to add the PS500 in future as I have been hearing good things about it. I tried it, as well as the PS1000e and GS1000e but those would require a much better set-up than what I have at the moment.

It's just been great!

Jun 4, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #32,163 of 65,674
  I am a recent convert to Grado. I now have the 60e, 125e, 225e and 325e. I know some people detect marginal improvements from 60e upwards to 125e. But to me, I think there's that extra bit of definition between 125e and 225e that makes me enjoy my pop/rock, jazz and interestingly classical sound better. I am really enjoying my Lee Ritenour and Pat Metheny more and more. The instrument separation is extraordinary. 

I love the spaciousness of the 325e and that has been the best buy for me this year. I never considered Grados before. But after picking them up recently I am sold.

Am set up at home with a Fiio e10k and IFI Audio iCAN amp + laptop. I often swap the Fiio e10K with my microstreamer.

Am looking to add the PS500 in future as I have been hearing good things about it. I tried it, as well as the PS1000e and GS1000e but those would require a much better set-up than what I have at the moment.

It's just been great!

Grados are Great, aren't they?  I wonder if your extra definition of th 225e over the 125e is a result of the change from the flat pads of the 125e to the L bowls of the 225e?

Jun 4, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #32,164 of 65,674
Good question. 

Indeed the L cushions of the SR 225e spaced out and shaped the sound very well, I think. The S cushions of the SR 125e didn't do justice to the sound, in my opinion. I definitely detected a difference.

I just added L cushions to the SR 125e so it now sounds less congested and more spacious. I compared it again with the SR 225e and I think there's still that difference in definition.However I think the L cushions have probably closed the gap between the sonic differences. The SR 225e is still a firm favourite because I enjoy lounge, chill out house better on it than the SR 325e. 

My next move would be to add L cushions or perhaps the G cushion to my SR 60e to find out what they would do to the sound...

Jun 4, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #32,165 of 65,674

It's just been great!

I have compared the 225e back to back with the PS500e (own the ps500e). The PS500e's bass reaches deep and hits much harder. The highs are a lot more resessed than the 225e. The 225e is brighter then neutral and the Ps500e is darker then neutral so back to back there is a pretty big difference between the two.

Jun 4, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #32,166 of 65,674

You should be fine using the iFi with the GS/PS1Kx…I've read nothing but great reviews about iFi products and how well they pair with Grados.

Jun 5, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #32,168 of 65,674
Why does Grado keep on using such bad quality plastic and materials for the majority of its headphones? I am not talking about design but quality of build and materials. Even toys for children use better plastics than Grado. You pay a fortune (particularly in Europe) for their headphones and you get a product which scratches and breaks easily. The lettering goes away after a while and you can even see the glue on the cheap piece of cloth that covers the drivers under these horrible oily earpads which disintegrate after a year or so. The pins holding the drivers loose their plastic tops and because of the poor quality of plastic the friction goes away and they slide freely along the pins. I feel cheated, particularly when I see the build quality of a Sennheiser Momentum, a Beyerdynamic T51 or a Bowers & Wilkins P7 set of headphones, for example. The company claims not to care about modern design but only sound quality. But as I said before, I am not talking about design principles but quality of materials and construction which are very important issues to pretend not to care. In my opinion the company is simply cheating the customers to make as much profit as possible selling toys for high-end audio equipment.

Jun 5, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #32,169 of 65,674
I've mentioned here before that the build quality is low. In my opinion Grado does overcharge for their headphones. I love the sound of grado which is most important, but I've noticed a huge difference between overall materials and build quality of Grado vs other headphones. They just feel cheap and you don't get what you pay for (outside of sound quality)

Sorry but I agree with the above poster

Jun 5, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #32,170 of 65,674
Why does Grado keep on using such bad quality plastic and materials for the majority of its headphones? I am not talking about design but quality of build and materials. Even toys for children use better plastics than Grado. You pay a fortune (particularly in Europe) for their headphones and you get a product which scratches and breaks easily. The lettering goes away after a while and you can even see the glue on the cheap piece of cloth that covers the drivers under these horrible oily earpads which disintegrate after a year or so. The pins holding the drivers loose their plastic tops and because of the poor quality of plastic the friction goes away and they slide freely along the pins. I feel cheated, particularly when I see the build quality of a Sennheiser Momentum, a Beyerdynamic T51 or a Bowers & Wilkins P7 set of headphones, for example. The company claims not to care about modern design but only sound quality. But as I said before, I am not talking about design principles but quality of materials and construction which are very important issues to pretend not to care. In my opinion the company is simply cheating the customers to make as much profit as possible selling toys for high-end audio equipment.

While I agree with you a little about the build quality of Grado's, I've come to understand the cost to build these a little better while trying to build a SennGrado or one that is using the Ypsilon or Magnum drivers.  I think that the other manufacturers have a advantage by economy of scale and location of facilities.

Jun 5, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #32,171 of 65,674

I don't know…I have my first 80i 4+ years now and they are still in mint condition as are all of my other Grados. I take care of everything I own and don't abuse anything I own. A little TLC wouldn't hurt, and they'll probably last forever. Sometimes simplicity is the best approach. Another thing to consider is the SQ which is second to none…and also, year after year Grado hasn't increased the prices of their HP's like other companies do…so their construction (which is fine by me) keeps the cost for the consumer the same as well. And there are some simple mods you can do to prevent the rods from sliding down the rod blocks. If the construction/price is an issue for you, then use a different brand of HP's. After all it is about the SQ, no? 
smile.gif

Jun 5, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #32,173 of 65,674

I agree with your comments but I think the material and workmanship isn't has bad as the way they actually look and feel.  Honestly, I don't have a single headphone that I bought over a decade ago..including Sennheiser, Sony, AKGs, but I still have my Grado SR60  which is now at 12 years old.  If memory recalls, I bought them for about $50 bucks and it's one of best HP investments I've made.  It's probably about time to change the pads (I still have the original form pads...it's a little discolored and warn out but still sounds great) :)  

Jun 5, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #32,175 of 65,674
  I agree with your comments but I think the material and workmanship isn't has bad as the way they actually look and feel.  Honestly, I don't have a single headphone that I bought over a decade ago..including Sennheiser, Sony, AKGs, but I still have my Grado SR60  which is now at 12 years old.  If memory recalls, I bought them for about $50 bucks and it's one of best HP investments I've made.  It's probably about time to change the pads (I still have the original form pads...it's a little discolored and warn out but still sounds great) :)  

Can't ask for more than this, right?
Also, none of my cushions never disintegrated either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back