Grado Fan Club!
Jun 1, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #32,147 of 65,609
  (HERE) is a very positive review on the iFi Pro I can for you.

Thank you! Very nice review indeed. It certainly seems like endgame material. Wish I could get in on the demo review crowd.
frown.gif

Did anybody get in on TTVJ's loaner program for the GS2ke?

Jun 1, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #32,148 of 65,609
  (HERE) is a very positive review on the iFi Pro I can for you.

I have had my eye on the iFi Pro for awhile.. unfortunately I am not in the market for anything other than portable stuff at the moment.. but I got to see it (not hear it) in Canlanta and it was beautiful. iFi is a great company and I hear nothing but good things about the iFi Pro!

I bet it sounds lovely with the new Grado balanced cans!!

Jun 1, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #32,149 of 65,609
Hello. I have a set of GS1000e so I thought I would join the fan club. They are the only head phones I own - they sounded and felt the best when I went HP shopping. I use them with an Emotiva DC-1 HP amp/Pre-amp. I like it, and I drive Dynaudio monitors with the preamp outs. But, what amps are considered best for the GS1000e? Preamp for the Dynaudios would be a plus and so would input for phono.

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #32,150 of 65,609
  Hello. I have a set of GS1000e so I thought I would join the fan club. They are the only head phones I own - they sounded and felt the best when I went HP shopping. I use them with an Emotiva DC-1 HP amp/Pre-amp. I like it, and I drive Dynaudio monitors with the preamp outs. But, what amps are considered best for the GS1000e? Preamp for the Dynaudios would be a plus and so would input for phono.

It sounds like you need some kind of integrated amp, if you want the phono pre-amp included as well.  Are you looking for a headphone amp or are you thinking about a full power amp?   What's your budget?  I'm assuming you're currently using active Dynaudio speakers. 

Jun 1, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #32,151 of 65,609
I should say that I listen to 99% flac files and Tidal streaming. I have a nice phono preamp and the Emotiva DC-1 has a set of analog inputs, so I can play records although I don't usually. I am a little stumped about how to keep the functionality of the DC-1 while improving the performance and getting the best out of the GS1000e. What amps play particularly well with the Grados I have? Not to say that another set of HP is not in my future.  I guess $1500 to $2000 would be reasonable for amp/dac upgrades.

Jun 1, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #32,152 of 65,609
I should say that I listen to 99% flac files and Tidal streaming. I have a nice phono preamp and the Emotiva DC-1 has a set of analog inputs, so I can play records although I don't usually. I am a little stumped about how to keep the functionality of the DC-1 while improving the performance and getting the best out of the GS1000e. What amps play particularly well with the Grados I have? Not to say that another set of HP is not in my future.  I guess $1500 to $2000 would be reasonable for amp/dac upgrades.

I have a large speakers system that has a mix of speaker power amps for two channel and I run my headphone amp off of my DAC pre-outs. The DAC also has a 32bit volume control so it gives me options.

Anyway my point is there is always a work around. My system is pure two channel when it needs to be, bypassed for home theater and also routed to a headphone amp. I also have digital high pass filters on my subs all in the same system. Works well and i don't have to worry about people using it because they can't figure out how to turn it on lol.

Jun 1, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #32,153 of 65,609

Honestly, I would focus on getting a better DAC to improve your sound.  Although, I've never used Schiit Audio equipment, there seems to a lot of fanfare and good reviews.  You can get a separate amp and DAC for your price range.  Woo Audio seems to be another HP focused hi-end brand that make a DAC/amp combo.  Most of the major high-end brands now offer DAC/amp combos including Parasound, NAD, Hegel, Ayre....even Mcintosh has a DAC/amp combos (they all seem very good).  Personally, I use the Ayre Codex DAC/Amp, not only as the DAC for my main system, but also as an HP dac/amp combo for my GH1.  In my opinion, the performance of the Ayre Codex at around $1800 is un-matched, easily beating several DACs that are upwards of $5K.  The Codex can also serve as a pre-amp to your Dynaudio.  If I haven't been trying to sell you on it already...It's also a very good HP amp :).  There are some drawbacks as well, the inputs are limited to one optical and one USB and the balanced output is known to sound better than the single ended outputs (not ideal for Grado HPs which come standard with a 1/4 jack). The unit also gets super hot (which is normal) and the burn in period is 600 hours.  With all that said, I've had very good results with my GH1 even using the single-ended output.  I think the best thing for you to do is to checkout and listen to a few different models.   Your ears will not lie to you, you'll know when you hear the one you like.   

Jun 1, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #32,154 of 65,609

The DC-1 is a great piece of kit. Sounds great with my PS1000 as a second to my liquid carbon. That being said, the only configuration you may want to try is running your GH1 with a low impedance tube amp like the Little Dot 1+. Grados love tubes!

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #32,155 of 65,609
I read about the Ayre Codex somewhere recently. Sounds like a great unit but no way to get a signal in from phono preamp. And the Little Dot unit is certainly inexpensive enough to try out. I would love to experience one of the Schiit multibit dac's but again the lack of an analog input for my phono preamp gives me pause about buying an hp amp/preamp and dac stack. But I know there are lots of solutions available and reading along here gives me some great ideas.

Jun 2, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #32,156 of 65,609
I read about the Ayre Codex somewhere recently. Sounds like a great unit but no way to get a signal in from phono preamp. And the Little Dot unit is certainly inexpensive enough to try out. I would love to experience one of the Schiit multibit dac's but again the lack of an analog input for my phono preamp gives me pause about buying an hp amp/preamp and dac stack. But I know there are lots of solutions available and reading along here gives me some great ideas.
If you want a phono pre-amp included I think you may need to look at fully integrated stereo amp like the Parasound Halo. The Parasound sounds awesome with speakers but honestly I have not tried with HPs. It would include everything you need, DAC, preamp, amp, phono stage. Beware though, some amps sound great with speakers but not with HPs.

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #32,159 of 65,609
I made it onto TTVJ Audio GS2000e loaner program and received shipping notice with an expected Saturday delivery. :joy:

Please ALSO post your thoughts and impressions on the GS2000e Review and Impressions thread. I am expecting some early owner's to be chiming in there soon.

Find out if the pair you are getting have any time on them or are NIB. They need at least 40 hours before they start changing and require 100 + hours to hit their stride.

Have fun and enjoy the ride, can't wait to see your posts.

Link to the Review thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/808445/grado-statement-gs2000e-review-and-first-impressions

Thanks.....:)

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #32,160 of 65,609
Please ALSO post your thoughts and impressions on the GS2000e Review and Impressions thread. I am expecting some early owner's to be chiming in there soon.

Find out if the pair you are getting have any time on them or are NIB. They need at least 40 hours before they start changing and require 100 + hours to hit their stride.

Have fun and enjoy the ride, can't wait to see your posts.

Link to the Review thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/808445/grado-statement-gs2000e-review-and-first-impressions

Thanks.....:)

They have 100 hours on them according to Todd. I will run the Purist Audio Ultimate System disc for the required break-in before listening.

The pair has the 4 pin xlr option with a 1/4 inch adapter.

I will primarily use the Pulse Infinity and the Liquid Carbon using Roon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back