Grado Fan Club!
May 31, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #32,119 of 65,550
  I've also read many times how one HP benefits from balanced and another doesn't like you've mentioned…but these are harder to drive HP's, not Grados.

I didn't realize the GS2Ke is a 4-pin…I knew the Mk2 was a 3-pin output, thanks for pointing that out. I've never had the opportunity to hear a fully balanced system (beside my 009/KGST) simply because I never had an amp with both options when I borrowed the HE1K/HD-800 and had the T1 for a short time so unfortunately I've never been able to A/B the differences for myself. Like @DavidA said,[size=x-small] most people agree certain HP's definitely benefit from being balanced but I [/size]can't[size=x-small] see the Grado benefiting. This seems to possibly be a marketing strategy as you said. I wouldn't mind getting the Mk2 being they are on hand for delivery as of right now, and also getting my Grados re-cabled if I knew for sure they would benefit being all of my HP's besides the 009 are Grados…at least for now. I am waiting for another member who just received the GS2Ke SE and is returning it for the balanced model to report back with his opinions/impressions on the SQ differences.[/size]

Thank you for the input, both of you!
beerchug.gif

The other thing to consider is having a DAC that has a balanced output. The iFi DAC I have doesn't have any balanced output. I've heard it with a balanced amp and the differences back and forth are negligible. That's what makes the iCan Pro tough to justify. If iFi does release a DSD Pro DAC it's rumored to be in that $2k range.
eek.gif

Not many Grado folks here do their higher end HPs with some sort of balanced connection. Personally, I would only have balanced cables installed to the HPs I think would benefit the most. The GH1 would be off limits for limited edition reasons.
biggrin.gif

I'll throw my hat in the ring, I had the GS2ke preordered with the balanced cable option. The turnaround for it was a few days later than standard cable version. My brother is just as interested in it as I am, so I'm looking forward to listening to it on his setup as well. I also have a Pono player for which I need an adapter but it'll be another way to get a balanced signal.

May 31, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #32,121 of 65,550

The other thing to consider is having a DAC that has a balanced output. The iFi DAC I have doesn't have any balanced output. I've heard it with a balanced amp and the differences back and forth are negligible. That's what makes the iCan Pro tough to justify. If iFi does release a DSD Pro DAC it's rumored to be in that $2k range.
eek.gif

Not many Grado folks here do their higher end HPs with some sort of balanced connection. Personally, I would only have balanced cables installed to the HPs I think would benefit the most. The GH1 would be off limits for limited edition reasons.
biggrin.gif

I'll throw my hat in the ring, I had the GS2ke preordered with the balanced cable option. The turnaround for it was a few days later than standard cable version. My brother is just as interested in it as I am, so I'm looking forward to listening to it on his setup as well. I also have a Pono player for which I need an adapter but it'll be another way to get a balanced signal.

Yes, my PS-Audio PWD-ll/Bridge-ll is fully balanced (so maybe I'll hear a nice difference) which is why I want to use it to its fullest potential. The 009 of course is already being used fully balanced. I know not many people balance their Grados, but I'm already in the process (right now) of buying the mk2, so I'm going to be balancing my PS1K/RS1i and possibly the GH1 and I'm sure I'll be buying the GS2Ke as well. Plus now I have the option to use balanced/SE HP's and hear/buy other HP's that need more power.  I can't wait for you to get the GS2Ke and here your impressions with the balanced cable! iFi getting up there with their prices!!! 
eek.gif

May 31, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #32,124 of 65,550
@krud484 
BTW, the mk2 has a 4-pin XLR HP out and a 3-pin as well?
confused_face.gif
 Justin verified this for me being I thought it was 3-pin only when you pointed this out…it looks like a 3-pin? Maybe we're looking at an older model or it is an option of your choice?

May 31, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #32,125 of 65,550
Grado has confirmed they will balance my HP's for me when they receive more cables!
Thanks again, Grado! Also purchased a silver GS-Xmk2/DACT which should be arriving in a few weeks… Ijust made this shipping batch! I'll also be putting my *MINT* GS-1 with Dynalo+ module and DACT attenuator up for sale as soon as I get the mk2. If anyone is interested PM me, thanks.
beerchug.gif

May 31, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #32,127 of 65,550
Quick question. Been a while since I've been on. Looking to get a full woody jacket or cups, but Martin doesn't seem to be doing these anymore. Any suggestions on where to look?

Try this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/119314/post-your-grado-mods/7125#post_12615389

Some really talented wood turners there who absolutely love modding grados.

These are mine, the wood was made by the user 7keys:

sX9M6qF.jpg

May 31, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #32,129 of 65,550

It's funny you mention the GS-X Mk2. I've been looking at a somewhat future proof balanced amp. If you do get the GS2ke balanced, it comes as a 4-pin XLR. The Mk2 looks like it has the dual 3-pin XLR headphone input. There might be an adapter for that, I'm not too sure. Supposedly, the GS2ke balanced comes with an 1/4 unbalanced adapter.

For Grado to go balanced it's certainly saying something about the market. All the other brands high end $1000+ headphones offer up a balanced cable option. Hopefully balanced isn't just another fad like 3D television, which then people turned to 4K. This is the first headphone Grado released with a balanced option. This would have to be a testing ground for whatever succeeds the "e" series. $170 for the add on isn't bad. Sennheiser charges $300+, so does Moon Audio for the dragon cables.

I'm a iFi guy all the way, their new iCan Pro amp has all the bell and whistles I'm looking for. The only problem is, it's almost the same price as the GS2ke. Going balanced is a big move, it does mean gradually getting new cables for your headphones. It's easier to take it one step at a time.
wink.gif

The GS-X Mk2 has both dual 3 pin XLRs and a 4 pin XLR. You're covered. 

May 31, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #32,130 of 65,550
  The GS-X Mk2 has both dual 3 pin XLRs and a 4 pin XLR. You're covered. 

Justin did confirm this for me when I ordered the mk2. I had seen a single 3-pin XLR in some photos of the mk2…maybe this was an earlier version of the mk2 I was looking at? I can now clearly see in other photos there is a 4-pin single XLR output.
Are the dual 3-pin outputs and dual SE outputs integrated? I'm stumped about this.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back