Grado Fan Club!
May 31, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #32,131 of 65,481
  Justin did confirm this for me when I ordered the mk2. I had seen a single 3-pin XLR in some photos of the mk2…maybe this was an earlier version of the mk2 I was looking at? I can now clearly see in other photos there is a 4-pin single XLR output.
Are the dual 3-pin outputs and dual SE outputs integrated? I'm stumped about this.
Thanks.

Yep...mine's a few years old and they are all there! 
smile.gif
 They've always been there. The MK1 however was only SE or dual 3pin XLR (owned that one in the past).

Jun 1, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #32,135 of 65,481

Yes, my PS-Audio PWD-ll/Bridge-ll is fully balanced (so maybe I'll hear a nice difference) which is why I want to use it to its fullest potential. The 009 of course is already being used fully balanced. I know not many people balance their Grados, but I'm already in the process (right now) of buying the mk2, so I'm going to be balancing my PS1K/RS1i and possibly the GH1 and I'm sure I'll be buying the GS2Ke as well. Plus now I have the option to use balanced/SE HP's and hear/buy other HP's that need more power.  I can't wait for you to get the GS2Ke and here your impressions with the balanced cable! iFi getting up there with their prices!!! 
eek.gif

A little googling and your PS-Audio PWD-II is a beauty! Likewise on the impressions, I can't wait for you to get the Mk2 and balance your Grados. It'll be exciting times here in the Grado threads!
beerchug.gif

@krud484 
BTW, the mk2 has a 4-pin XLR HP out and a 3-pin as well?
confused_face.gif
 Justin verified this for me being I thought it was 3-pin only when you pointed this out…it looks like a 3-pin? Maybe we're looking at an older model or it is an option of your choice?

When I looked at their photos, even in high res, I couldn't spot the 4-pin XLR input in front or back.
confused_face.gif

I'm no where close to a decision on a balanced amp. The Cavalli Liquid Carbon looks great for it's price range, but the new run of them is already gone. The Headamp GS-X Mk2 is pretty intriguing now if it really has the 4-pin XLR. The iFi iCan Pro has GE vacuum tubes & it apparently also has a SS mode too...

Jun 1, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #32,137 of 65,481
  How many of you have their Grados with balanced cables using a fully balanced system? Is there a significant SQ between balanced/SE with the easily driven Grados?

I'm asking because all of the sudden the GS2Ke has an optional balanced cable and I'm probably most certain to own them one day with the balanced cable option, so this has me quite curious as to why? I already have the fully balanced PWDll and balanced XLR cables as well, so I'm considering ordering a GS-X Mk2, which in this case I would have my PS1K/GH1/RS1i re-cabled to balanced as well...or I will just keep them SE and continue to use my GS-1 with the dynalo+ modules being I'd only be using half the
GS-X Mk2's power if I left my Grado SE, so it would be a waste of money. OTOH, if I would like to try other HP's in the future that benefit/demand more power to drive them, the GS-X Mk2 would offer all options.

I'm asking for opinions/impressions from those who heard/have their Grado balanced with a fully balanced system if it is worth the SQ before buying the GS-X Mk2, and why all of the sudden is the GS2Ke offering the balanced cable option when it is an easily driven HP? Thanks 

IMO any improvements usually comes from the amp being designed/intended to be used as a balanced amp. (double the power vs it's single ended output?)

I use the RSA intruder as my portable DAC/amp, it has very good synergy with my Grados (for a portable) and I was very tempted to balance at least one of my Grados (probably my PS500 would be the guinea pig) but then I kinda forgot about it since I am cutting down on headphones...

Maybe I should keep them a bit longer and balance them out?...
very_evil_smiley.gif

biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #32,138 of 65,481
The other thing to consider is having a DAC that has a balanced output. The iFi DAC I have doesn't have any balanced output. I've heard it with a balanced amp and the differences back and forth are negligible. That's what makes the iCan Pro tough to justify. If iFi does release a DSD Pro DAC it's rumored to be in that $2k range.:eek:

Not many Grado folks here do their higher end HPs with some sort of balanced connection. Personally, I would only have balanced cables installed to the HPs I think would benefit the most. The GH1 would be off limits for limited edition reasons. :D

I'll throw my hat in the ring, I had the GS2ke preordered with the balanced cable option. The turnaround for it was a few days later than standard cable version. My brother is just as interested in it as I am, so I'm looking forward to listening to it on his setup as well. I also have a Pono player for which I need an adapter but it'll be another way to get a balanced signal.
The Ayre Codex DAC/amp I'm using was designed to run better in balance mode, but includes a single ended out. I've been using my GH1 with the single ended out but decided to get them balanced. Once I get my HP back from the shop, I'll know if it was worth it. I would expect the HPs to sound better with balanced amplification since this is what Ayre is extremely good at. Yes, I've decided to bite the bullet and put balanced XLRs on my beloved GH1s. They are a keeper so I rather squeeze out the most sound than keep it untouched because they are limited. It was a tough decision. :)

Jun 1, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #32,139 of 65,481
  A little googling and your PS-Audio PWD-II is a beauty! Likewise on the impressions, I can't wait for you to get the Mk2 and balance your Grados. It'll be exciting times here in the Grado threads!
beerchug.gif

When I looked at their photos, even in high res, I couldn't spot the 4-pin XLR input in front or back.
confused_face.gif

I'm no where close to a decision on a balanced amp. The Cavalli Liquid Carbon looks great for it's price range, but the new run of them is already gone. The Headamp GS-X Mk2 is pretty intriguing now if it really has the 4-pin XLR. The iFi iCan Pro has GE vacuum tubes & it apparently also has a SS mode too...

Thank you.
I'll be sure to give my impressions on the SQ with the fully balanced system.
I'm not sure what we were both looking at as well, but below is a photo (Google Images) which show one 4-pin XLR outputs and  two 3-pin XLR/SE outputs (integrated) on the mk2. The tube/SS mode on the iFi seems like a nice option, and also the CLC which is nicely priced as well.

IMO any improvements usually comes from the amp being designed/intended to be used as a balanced amp. (double the power vs it's single ended output?)

I use the RSA intruder as my portable DAC/amp, it has very good synergy with my Grados (for a portable) and I was very tempted to balance at least one of my Grados (probably my PS500 would be the guinea pig) but then I kinda forgot about it since I am cutting down on headphones...

very_evil_smiley.gif

biggrin.gif

I'm going to balance my PS1K first, this way I can get the fullest potential out of my system, like you said.

The Ayre Codex DAC/amp I'm using was designed to run better in balance mode, but includes a single ended out. I've been using my GH1 with the single ended out but decided to get them balanced. Once I get my HP back from the shop, I'll know if it was worth it. I would expect the HPs to sound better with balanced amplification since this is what Ayre is extremely good at. Yes, I've decided to bite the bullet and put balanced XLRs on my beloved GH1s. They are a keeper so I rather squeeze out the most sound than keep it untouched because they are limited. It was a tough decision.
smily_headphones1.gif

My GH1 is also on the list to be balanced as well!

Jun 1, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #32,140 of 65,481
  Thank you.
I'm not sure what we were both looking at as well, but below is a photo (Google Images) which show one 4-pin XLR outputs and  two 3-pin XLR/SE outputs (integrated) on the mk2. The tube/SS mode on the iFi seems like a nice option, and also the CLC which is nicely priced as well.

I'm going to balance my PS1K first, this way I can get the fullest potential out of my system, like you said.

My GH1 is also on the list to be balanced as well!

Are you sending your GH1 back to Grado to get them balanced?  I send my over to @Peterek.  He seems to have a good rep on head-fi.org.  He is also making me three cables, one standard 1/4 jack and one Pono cable and one 15ft extension cable.  I'll let you guys know how they sound, once I get my HP back.    

Jun 1, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #32,141 of 65,481
  Are you sending your GH1 back to Grado to get them balanced?  I send my over to @Peterek.  He seems to have a good rep on head-fi.org.  He is also making me three cables, one standard 1/4 jack and one Pono cable and one 15ft extension cable.  I'll let you guys know how they sound, once I get my HP back.    

Yes, I'm sending my HP's to Grado to install the balanced cables…I just have to wait until they receive more balanced cables.
Cant wait to hear your impressions as well!

Jun 1, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #32,142 of 65,481

very_evil_smiley.gif

biggrin.gif

I ran some Grados balanced for my Pono for a while. There was an improvement...not earth-shattering, but enough for me to notice and care a little....

Jun 1, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #32,143 of 65,481

I ran some Grados balanced for my Pono for a while. There was an improvement...not earth-shattering, but enough for me to notice and care a little....

Thanks for the insight.  Pono players are great, but they don't come close to the Ayre Codex DAC/AMP which also uses a Pono balanced outs.  I'm hoping to hear a significant improvement with the Ayre.  I guess we'll have to wait and see.      

Jun 1, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #32,145 of 65,481
  Thank you.

Very tempting! If I parted with the Lyr 2, upgrading to the Mk2 would only be a few hundred dollars. Plus it has it's own separate power supply which would negate getting a power conditioner.
The Ayre Codex DAC/amp I'm using was designed to run better in balance mode, but includes a single ended out. I've been using my GH1 with the single ended out but decided to get them balanced. Once I get my HP back from the shop, I'll know if it was worth it. I would expect the HPs to sound better with balanced amplification since this is what Ayre is extremely good at. Yes, I've decided to bite the bullet and put balanced XLRs on my beloved GH1s. They are a keeper so I rather squeeze out the most sound than keep it untouched because they are limited. It was a tough decision.
smily_headphones1.gif

Congrats, looking forward to your impressions!
popcorn.gif

I've only done balanced mode with the Pono on some Hifiman RE-600s. They're closed earbuds so the sound isn't "earth-shattering" but it is the best reference on the go setup I have. The GS2ke would be the first over-ear balanced HP for me to tryout on the Pono. It'll be the first time I get to push balanced mode to the limit and hear what it really has to offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back