Grado Fan Club!
May 27, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #32,086 of 65,615
I've been a Grado fan for years now, but have had the pleasure of auditioning the Sennheiser HD800 recently (albeit, in a noisy store). Much to my surprise, they sounded lively, bright, and transparent. Any other Grado fans out there who have thoughts on the HD800? 

Edit: I have a PS500, PS500e, RS2e, and GH1 mega review/comparison in the works!

The HD 800S is the best I've ever heard: even better than the classic 800.

YMMV...

May 27, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #32,087 of 65,615
Thank you for all of your responses! It's good to see that Grado fans can appreciate the HD-800s (it always seemed to me that you would be in one camp or the other). The curiosity began with me when I got my GH1s and was comparing them with thr RS2e. While I liked the bass on the GH1, I found that it lacked the ethereal presentation of the RS2e. Furthermore, while the GH1 sound great with the G-cush, it got me thinking about the soundstage and separation that I'm generally missing with Grados. The HD800 surprised me when I heard how clear and free the vocals were, and the less pronounced midbass along with the large soundstage created a sense of transparency and beauty that I've largely found unique to the RS2e.

It's nice to have options!

May 27, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #32,088 of 65,615
So my nephew just came to my house with a pair of Beats Solo! 
mad.gif

As soon as he walked through the door I said to him to go back outside and throw them in the garbage pail on the side of the house! 
biggrin.gif
 He goes on to tell me he got a great deal and these were $200.00 but I got them for $100.00. I plugged them  directly into my MBP to have a listen to "The Falcon" by Bob James & Earl Klugh…for about 30 seconds! I also had him listen as well. I then plugged my 80i directly into the MBP and had him listen, and immediately there was a smile on his face from ear to ear! He couldn't believe how real everything sounded and was blown away! I told him never to bring the Beats in my house again
biggrin.gif
 and the next time he buys a pair of HP's for $100.00 to buy an 80x. I hope he learned from his experience and doesn't buy a HP to make a fashion statement (NOT) and because all the other teens have them.
I hope he has seen the light! 
smile.gif

My apologies to everyone for listening to the Beats. 
redface.gif

May 27, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #32,089 of 65,615
  So my nephew just came to my house with a pair of Beats Solo! 
mad.gif

As soon as he walked through the door I said to him to go back outside and throw them in the garbage pail on the side of the house! 
biggrin.gif
 He goes on to tell me he got a great deal and these were $200.00 but I got them for $100.00. I plugged them  directly into my MBP to have a listen to "The Falcon" by Bob James & Earl Klugh…for about 30 seconds! I also had him listen as well. I then plugged my 80i directly into the MBP and had him listen, and immediately there was a smile on his face from ear to ear! He couldn't believe how real everything sounded and was blown away! I told him never to bring the Beats in my house again
biggrin.gif
 and the next time he buys a pair of HP's for $100.00 to buy an 80x. I hope he learned from his experience and doesn't buy a HP to make a fashion statement (NOT) and because all the other teens have them.
I hope he has seen the light! 
smile.gif

My apologies to everyone for listening to the Beats. 
redface.gif

Beats? BEATS??? BEATS go with Grado like a duck goes to water.... here:

..and some of the biggest Gradoholics keep Beats in the trunk of their car...

Why, even Sennheiser gets onto the Beats bandwagon...

May 27, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #32,093 of 65,615

John, please don't tell me thats your trunk, please!

Yep!  Does it help that I balance the Beats in the back with a Sennheiser in the seat?

...and of course, I ONLY listen to music from the finest vinyl in my car, using my dash-mounted turntable.  When I roll down the street, folks behind me wave with just one finger extended, I think in appreciation of my mean speed of 1 mph so the record doesn't skip!

May 28, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #32,095 of 65,615
Hi. I have recently bought a pair of 325e headphones. I'm using a mojo or dragonfly to drive them. On some music I found them slightly bass light, others music spot on. I bought some TTVJ flat pads to see if this was enough to just mildly increase bass to become perfect for me. However the bass increase is too much. Any thoughts or suggestions for a bass level between the two pads? I'm disappointed as reading Tyll's pad comparison I expected a very subtle change.
Would washing the flats help?
Thanks. Paul.

May 28, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #32,096 of 65,615
Hi. I have recently bought a pair of 325e headphones. I'm using a mojo or dragonfly to drive them. On some music I found them slightly bass light, others music spot on. I bought some TTVJ flat pads to see if this was enough to just mildly increase bass to become perfect for me. However the bass increase is too much. Any thoughts or suggestions for a bass level between the two pads? I'm disappointed as reading Tyll's pad comparison I expected a very subtle change.
Thanks. Paul.

No problem with the treble though, love the sharpness and clarity.

May 28, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #32,097 of 65,615
Thanks. Paul.

Try Making the inside hole of the flat pads bigger. More free volume will reduce the bass peak.

May 28, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #32,098 of 65,615
Thanks. Paul.

TTVJ flat pads bring the drivers closer to your ears, giving you more bass/less treble/less sound-stage.
Don't mod your $35.00 flat pads…buy Grado (S) cushions and try them out first in "stock" form. If you still don't like the results, do the quarter mod to the (S) cushions. Most cut a hole the size of a quarter exposing the drivers. I sharpened the edges a pipe (I don't remember the pipe size) that fit exactly into the back holes (the cup side) of the (S) cushions and a hammer and stamped the foam out of the driver side (from behind) leaving me with a perfectly round circle, and the same exact size holes front/back so the (S) cushions fit perfectly onto the cups. This will give you a happy/medium between the "stock" (L) cushion and TTVJ flat pads.

May 28, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #32,099 of 65,615

My brother has an HD800 in house and I regularly check it out for an hour or two every other week just about. The lineage with it is through a completely balanced chain.

Moon Audio 4-pin XLR HP cable -> Schiit Mjolnir 2 balanced -> Benchmark DAC 2 balanced

It’s worth mentioning there is a mixture of clean power involving a linear power supply, power conditioner, and separate audio grade powerline surge protector. So playback is clean, not as thick sounding as plugging directly into the wall.

The Mjolnir has some Telefunkens in it. With that said, the tonality is quite neutral with that sibilant treble some folk’s get on the HD800 smoothed out.  When I go to the HD800, I typically throw a barrage of genres at it and it certainly is a genre master. There really isn’t one it does better than the other. Rock, metal, electronic, ambient, jazz, classical, reggae, even hip hop all sound nice and faithful.

The two standout strengths that best everything I've ever tried are the soundstage and the imaging. It is stunning the amount of detailed realism. Instantly, I notice the transparency in some albums sounding wider or narrower than others which is always refreshing. The midrange and L/R separation is abundantly clear and dynamic with 3D presentation. As far as balanced is concerned, the soundstage is completely flat, open, and wide. This helps the imaging because unbalanced isn’t quite as pinpoint. For example, something you hear in right channel is actually further out or it might really be in the midrange. The lifelike quality transports me right there in the room with the artist hearing their intentions.

Bass is just as someone mentioned above, really tight and controlled. It still has a deep extension to it. That treble punch in the kick drum isn’t as in your face as certain Grado HPs but is neutral in power and decay. It could be this setup, but the HD800 produces more air on vocals, strings, and wind instruments than any other headphone I’ve tried.

The thing about the Sennheiser HD800, it’s not as musical as some of my Grados. I wouldn’t call it clinical but is an analytical headphone. It’s not slicing the music apart; it provides a more critical approach. I just find myself more emotionally attached to the music with a Grado. The engagement, fun factor, and fresh perspective of the HD800 are what keep me coming back.

May 28, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #32,100 of 65,615
Thanks. Paul.
I believe quarter-modded HD414 pads will be best for you. Joseph just described the best way to quarter-mod the pads, now we'll have to see if you like the S pads more or the yellow hd414 pads more. I had the hd414 pads on my last 325is and I loved them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back