Grado Fan Club!
Jan 5, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #29,928 of 65,581
Gee that's a hard one. I would have sold the amp to fund the gh1 and have a lesser amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Same here, my GH-1 are not going anywhere soon, the fact that I prefer them to my beloved PS1k, speaks volume on how good the GH-1/G sounds.

Jan 5, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #29,929 of 65,581
I think I have a serious problem.

I CANNOT stop listening to the 225e! Everything I throw at them sounds so darn good! Especially through my Pono player. An incredibly musical combination.

That being said, they're not perfect. My 400S has a much faster attack, and better spatial imaging. The 225e feels fairly flat to me in comparison. However, the detail retrieval is so good and the overall sound is so much fun that I'm more than happy to live with the faults.

At the end of the year I'm pretty sure I'll be upgrading to a higher level Grado. I'll have to audition them to see which one feels right. I would love something that sounds like the 225e, but better.

Jan 5, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #29,930 of 65,581
I think I have a serious problem.

I CANNOT stop listening to the 225e! Everything I throw at them sounds so darn good! Especially through my Pono player. An incredibly musical combination.

That being said, they're not perfect. My 400S has a much faster attack, and better spatial imaging. The 225e feels fairly flat to me in comparison. However, the detail retrieval is so good and the overall sound is so much fun that I'm more than happy to live with the faults.

At the end of the year I'm pretty sure I'll be upgrading to a higher level Grado. I'll have to audition them to see which one feels right. I would love something that sounds like the 225e, but better.

Yep! I have read on this thread that the 225e is a great versatile set of headphones! I have tried them out in store once or twice, but my current collection covers that part of my listening spectrum.

Jan 6, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #29,934 of 65,581
I just ordered a Schiit Vali 2 amp to pair with my Grados. Looking forward to some nice tube action!

i'm undecided between the vali 2, an amp from garage1217, or another (3rd) LD mk 1+

Jan 6, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #29,935 of 65,581
  Quick question for all you Gradophiles: If you could own just one pair, which would it be and why? Thanks in advance.

I would opt for the black sheep of the Grado family : the PS500e but w/ G-cushions & w/ my Benchmark DAC1 HDR, DAC/AMP.  BTW I dubbed them as the black sheep of the family because some reviews are somewhat lukewarm about them e.g. "the treble tends to roll off" or "it lacks substantial sub-bass", etc.  which in my case anyways I don't happen to share those opinions at all.  To my ears the treble is quite clear and I haven't noticed any roll off whatsoever & as far as sub bass, well, no they don't emphasize the bass as much as other brands/models but the bass is quite present & tight which is good enough for me/my taste.  Overall I find them very well balanced.

Jan 6, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #29,937 of 65,581

Quick question for all you Gradophiles: If you could own just one pair, which would it be and why? Thanks in advance.

I would opt for the black sheep of the Grado family : the PS500e but w/ G-cushions & w/ my Benchmark DAC1 HDR, DAC/AMP.

Sorry about the incomplete answer to your question Bonobo Loco, I'm somewhat distracted tonight.  Ok, as to why I prefer the PS500e to the other Grado HPs  I own or have heard, it's mainly because it's quite versatile & sounds great with the sources & amps that I own.  I was quite surprised how "detailed" it is especially w/ my Benchmark DAC/AMP & w/ G-cush.  I also own the PS1Ke but they sound somewhat distant w/ the same DAC/AMP although they sound fantastic w/ my vintage integrated amp.  

Jan 6, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #29,938 of 65,581

This is a very easy question,

Jan 6, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #29,939 of 65,581
Jan 6, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #29,940 of 65,581

I wanted to try tubes and I wanted to try Schiit, this seemed like a good way to kill two birds with one stone!

i've had several tube amps, and a bunch of schiit , lol
i just miss having a tube amp though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back