Grado Fan Club!
Nov 5, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #28,846 of 65,565
As headphones are oft played with DAC-headphone-amps, are any of the fan club following the Chord Mojo £400. It's said to be a large amount of the Chord Hugo (DAC-headphone/line-out) at a fraction of the price. Consider that the Hugo DAC with-headphone/line-out (£1400) can stand in for digital pre-amps up to £5K. 

The Mojo is a newly released gadget, maybe about two weeks ago. It's also flying off the shelves. Yesterday there were eight put on Amazon UK as fulfilled and all eight sold.

The Chord Mojo Official Thread is taking about fifty posts a day. http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread/3930#post_12052248

Nov 5, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #28,848 of 65,565
Ha-ha
The law of diminishing returns at $55K.
Try justifying to the wife that...!
Honey I'll be back soon just about to let $55K loose... LoL

Nov 5, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #28,849 of 65,565
Ha-ha
The law of diminishing returns at $55K.
Try justifying to the wife that...!
Honey I'll be back soon just about to let $55K loose... LoL

Yeah problem is knowing my wife, she'll say that if i get to spend that on audio gear, then she wants to spend the same on like clothing. Might as well file for bankrupcy now! Lol

Nov 5, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #28,850 of 65,565
I made a separate thread but I'm betting there are some Grado aficionados who only come in this thread so I'm posting here as well... hope that's OK:

I have been getting into punk a lot lately and find that I miss some of the edge that my old Sennheiser HD595s had with rock music before I started really getting into high end audio. I've doing some AB-ing between it and my current stable (LCD2 rev2s, LCD2f, LCD3f, HE-6) and though obviously the latter are "better", for punk I just love the in-your-faceness of the 595s and its hot treble. When it comes to that "in your face" feel I would put them over the HE-6 even though obviously they're inferior in basically every other way.

I've heard Grados are basically tailor-made for high energy rock and tend to have a very trebly sound so I would like to give them a shot. I don't really care about soundstage that much really since punk tends to be not exactly be super well produced and I tend to like the stuff that has a rawer sound anyways. Huge energy and sounding subjectively good with punk is what matters to me (i.e. colored or not I don't care) The more detail the better of course as well but not at the cost of the previously stated requirements -- I already have the HE-6 for ridiculous detail.

To give an idea what I'm listening to: Nofx, (early) Propagandhi, Star Fawking Hipsters (replace the "Fawking" with the obvious if you're doing a search 
tongue.gif
). 

Budget is flexible though I'd rather not have to spend another $1-2k on a headphone for one genre if I can get away with it. But ya, flexible. Owning both a LCD2 rev.2 and fazor version is a bit excessive so I can sell the fazored version if need be to help fund this purchase. So ya -- what Grados should I be looking at?

Nov 5, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #28,852 of 65,565
Honestly, that would be my recommendation for a pair of perfectly complimentary phones.

Just be careful not to rapidly A/B them; your ears will need time to adjust between the very different sound signatures.
How do you reckong the HD700's will pair alongside the SR325e's? Or does the Hd650 still match up better?

Nov 5, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #28,855 of 65,565
How do you reckong the HD700's will pair alongside the SR325e's? Or does the Hd650 still match up better?

My cans are in my signature and each one sounds significantly different from all of the others ... I like variety and believe in horses for courses. Each headphone has its sweet spot for different genres and, as always, YMMW - a lot.

I don't have the 325e, but I've heard it and it's the value sweet-spot for Grado; should also nicely compliment either Senn 'phone. The 700 and 650 are *wildly* different from one another and anything from Grado, so try to audition and make your own choice.

Nov 5, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #28,856 of 65,565

My cans are in my signature and each one sounds significantly different from all of the others ... I like variety and believe in horses for courses. Each headphone has its sweet spot for different genres and, as always, YMMW - a lot.

I don't have the 325e, but I've heard it and it's the value sweet-spot for Grado; should also nicely compliment either Senn 'phone. The 700 and 650 are *wildly* different from one another and anything from Grado, so try to audition and make your own choice.

Awesome, thanks! Appreciate the input and will do. :)

Nov 5, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #28,857 of 65,565
Quick question: does anyone have experience with Grado + Lehmann Audio (Rhinelander, Linear)?

Just looking for quick impressions, if anyone has them.

Thanks, in advance.

Nov 5, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #28,858 of 65,565
  As headphones are oft played with DAC-headphone-amps, are any of the fan club following the Chord Mojo £400. It's said to be a large amount of the Chord Hugo at a fraction of the price. Consider that the Hugo DAC-headphone-amp (£1400) can stand in for digital pre-amps up to £5K. 

The Mojo is a newly released gadget, maybe about two weeks ago. It's also flying off the shelves. Yesterday there were eight put on Amazon UK as fulfilled and all eight sold.

The Chord Mojo Official Thread is taking about fifty posts a day. http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread/3930#post_12052248

jesus.. f* me.

your mere mention just led me.
i just ordered some mojo rather impulsively.. this after placing an order for the aune x1s maybe a week ago. returning that sharpish. it is supposed to arrive tomorrow lol.

i'll be pairing these with modded grados: new symphones magnum v6s and hopefully the 3d cup models specifically intended for the v6 as well.

this coming from a person whose only ever owned (for the past five years)
ath-ad700s
and
hotusb1

the unanimity of the reviews just had me by the scruff of the neck.

Nov 5, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #28,859 of 65,565

IMO there’s a big improvement in sound between the 80e and 325e.  I own the 80e, 125e and RS2e.  I’m not a big fan of the 80e - too much bass and the overall sound is too in-your-head.  But these traits disappear when you go up the line.  Bass tightens up, soundstage widens - but the intimacy and front row perspective is still there.  IMO, a good Grado to start with is either the 125e or 225e, if you don’t want to spend a lot.  If the 325e is in your budget, then they’re worth checking out, IMO...

That's why I suggested to EekOZ to swap the stock S-cush, for the L-cush. It makes the SR80e's bass, less boomy, and tighter, and you also get a bigger soundstage, so it's win win in my book.
wink.gif

Nov 5, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #28,860 of 65,565
  So that series over the PS, RS etc.? Are the other series more geared towards other (non-rock) things?

I mentioned any of the Prestige Series e-series because they are fine headphones. Whereas I mentioned the SR325is (being previous model version) because some folk like them specifically for metal and rock. The PS and RS, I believe are equally at home with rock. However I have never heard them. joseph69 mentioned the GH-1 which is a higher end Grado too. I think you're really only choice is which Grado would you like, or how much money do you budget. People recommend get a SR60e or SR80e and see if you like Grado sound first, then buy more expensive later. However I think we can safely skip that test phase if we want. The only reason not to like Grado is if you want a heavy bass for dance/house music. Even then you could opt for the bass heavier PS500/e.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back