Grado Fan Club!
Nov 6, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #28,876 of 65,542
  The GH1, The Bushmills X, The RS1i, & Their Sound

(a.k.a. The Cook, The Thief, The Wife, and Her Lover)

At long last, I performed one of my three-way comparative listening tests on three of my newest Grados...

1. The limited-edition GH1 (first of a new series of limited-edition headphones called the "Heritage Edition, with 1000 made from a maple tree that died on the Grado property);
  2. The limited-edition Bushmills X, which are semi-closed headphones of about three years ago made from the wood of Irish Bushmills whiskey);
  3. The RS1i, made of mahogany wood cups and that served as Grado's flagship headphone until the entry of the two over-ear models of the PS1000 and GS1000.

All of these headphones are on-ear.  In all cases, they were driven with the Joseph Grado Signature Products HPA-1 amplifier.  I have described the test method here, but in short:

1. I identify 10 acoustic features (e.g., transparency, sound stage,...) and compare each of the three headphones on each of these features, generating a rank order for each of the three on that feature (1st place, or 3 points; 2nd place or 2, 3rd place or 1, ties are permitted and scored equally such that the total score for each 3-way comparison is 6... any row of the table below will further illuminate this)
  2. I use specific snippets of four test songs, as given in the link referenced above, to make these comparisons;
  3. I display the results in a color-coded table, where blue is "1st place," red "2nd place," and gold "3rd place."
  4. Just for fun (not meaningful), I also total the points describing rank order for the 10 tests to generate a total score for each headphone.

I try to declare a tie for any case where I do not hear a clear difference that I think (no way to prove this) I could reliably also hear in a blind test.  When I total these, I would believe that score totals that differ by 3 or more are meaningful.

Here is the resulting table.

In short, the Bushmills X had the most transparency; the GH-1 was best at bass response, and the RS1i was the most balanced in performance across the 10 features.

I will eventually use these results and come further comparisons (e.g., my HF-1s, my three older SR325s that I got since comparing the SR325e) to add to my master comparison of all of my (20) Grado models.

Nice work John, I don't have the i version of the RS1, but a while back, my dealer loaned me a pair for a few days, and from what I can remember, I agree with your final scoring.

That being said, there is a possibility that the RS1i that I had might have been defective. I think that at about half the price of the other two, the Bushmills offers a great price vs performance ratio.

I should mention that my Bushmills, now have the L-cush, instead of the stock, S-cush, and I have G-cush, instead of L-cush, on my GH-1.

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #28,877 of 65,542
I think that now, after 8 months, my Grado GS1000e headphones are finally coming into their own!  I popped them on in the midst of listening to a choral work (Dan Forrest's "Requiem For The Living,") with my closed Ultrasone Edition 8 Rutheniums, as I was feeling a bit claustrophic from the closed nature of these headphones.

The sound stage of the Grado GS1000e has opened up to be HUGE!  The treble is becoming more transparent as well, and of course as they are over-ear and very light, they are the most comfortable of all the Grados.

I had recently compared them to the GS1000i at my Grado dealer's and decided I liked the GS1000i more, as being more open and transparent.  However, as was found during the initial review tour of the GS1000e that Todd The Vinyl Junkie instigated, the GS1000e takes FOREVER to burn in.  When I get a chance, I will compare them again to those GS1000i (if they still have them).

I feel almost as if the orchestra and chorus extend not only 180 degrees around me, but also a bit behind me, so I am in the midst of them.  There are lots of different instrument and voice sections, and each has its own position now.  I suspect a bit more use will make the treble even more transparent, but it has just become really more so than it had been.

Nov 7, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #28,878 of 65,542
  I found that the SR325i (that is, the gold 50 Year Anniversary edition of the SR325) is the brightest Grado, brighter than the SR325 (original), the SR325is (which came after, and might have been a toned-down response to the brightness of the SR325i), and the SR325e (which like all e-series Grados, tones down the treble and increases the bass... in fact my less-than-bright SR325e sounds EXACTLY (to me) like my SR225i, with the i being the series before Grado toned down the treble and increased the bass).  More on that in the thread in my signature "4D Comparison of 13 Grados."  

Here is a link to some of my comparison of my four SR325 Grados.

Will I be able to audition the SR325i decently without an amp? All my amps are way too powerful I think (least powerful is the Schiit Lyr, the one without the gain switch)

I plan on buying an amp for it of course if I get it, but want to see if I like the HP first.

Nov 7, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #28,879 of 65,542
Good Saturday morning to all you "Gradoheads"

A little columbian....coffee of course and some tunes for this fine morning.  
smile.gif

Nov 7, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #28,880 of 65,542
Will I be able to audition the SR325i decently without an amp? All my amps are way too powerful I think (least powerful is the Schiit Lyr, the one without the gain switch)

I plan on buying an amp for it of course if I get it, but want to see if I like the HP first.

Yes you are fine without an amp for audition, as long as you use a good source like a modern iPhone or DAP, e.eg., FiiO.

Nov 7, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #28,881 of 65,542

smile.gif

always getting the day started right aren't we joe ? 

Nov 7, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #28,882 of 65,542
Originally Posted by jaywillin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smile.gif

always getting the day started right aren't we joe ? 

Yeah, a little music every morning helps get a person in the right frame of mind, huh.

i have really been digging Bryce Janey and Little Hurricane lately....so I thought i would post them up  
smile.gif

Nov 7, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #28,883 of 65,542
 I found that the SR325i (that is, the gold 50 Year Anniversary edition of the SR325) is the brightest Grado, brighter than the SR325 (original), the SR325is (which came after, and might have been a toned-down response to the brightness of the SR325i), and the SR325e (which like all e-series Grados, tones down the treble and increases the bass... in fact my less-than-bright SR325e sounds EXACTLY (to me) like my SR225i, with the i being the series before Grado toned down the treble and increased the bass).  More on that in the thread in my signature "4D Comparison of 13 Grados."  

Here is a link to some of my comparison of my four SR325 Grados.

Imo the 325e sounds worlds better than the 225i.

I own the 225i and auditioned the 325e with G cushions on it and was blown away. The 25i are very good and I love them but the 325e was absolutely on another level.

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk

Nov 7, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #28,884 of 65,542

I own the 225i and auditioned the 325e with G cushions on it and was blown away. The 25i are very good and I love them but the 325e was absolutely on another level.

My tests of both were done with the stock L bowls.

Nov 7, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #28,885 of 65,542

I am really happy to read you impressions of these two headphones. I am a 225e owner and while it does really get going, it doesn't overawe me regularly enough.

Yet when I read reviews and impressions of the 325e, I read of something stellar.

I suspect that your opinion is the correct one. I recall the original SR225 only ever gained 4/5 stars on What Hi-Fi. Hi-Fi Choice only ever recommended the 225i with four stars. Whereas both these audio magazines have no hesitation giving any 125 or 325, a straight 5/5.

The 225 are capable but in my opinion a little polite. I think that's why some people claim they are smoother or not as treble hot as the 325. I mentioned the 225e earlier in this thread and claimed they dig into rock music and they do. However I always feel there is a bit more presence from my DAC. 

I think the 325 will have a little more detail, and a touch more bass and clarity; i.e. better acoustics. Adding to a whole, of more excitement. Please don't misunderstand me, because I think the 225e are very good headphones. Really good. Just not out and out excellent like other Grados, that I owned like the SR60 and SR125i, or heard. I rate the 225e 4.2/5.

(EDIT: NB. I keep thinking wood cups are the way forward with the 225e.)

Nov 7, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #28,886 of 65,542
  I think that now, after 8 months, my Grado GS1000e headphones are finally coming into their own!  I popped them on in the midst of listening to a choral work (Dan Forrest's "Requiem For The Living,") with my closed Ultrasone Edition 8 Rutheniums, as I was feeling a bit claustrophic from the closed nature of these headphones.

The sound stage of the Grado GS1000e has opened up to be HUGE!  The treble is becoming more transparent as well, and of course as they are over-ear and very light, they are the most comfortable of all the Grados.

I had recently compared them to the GS1000i at my Grado dealer's and decided I liked the GS1000i more, as being more open and transparent.  However, as was found during the initial review tour of the GS1000e that Todd The Vinyl Junkie instigated, the GS1000e takes FOREVER to burn in.  When I get a chance, I will compare them again to those GS1000i (if they still have them).

I feel almost as if the orchestra and chorus extend not only 180 degrees around me, but also a bit behind me, so I am in the midst of them.  There are lots of different instrument and voice sections, and each has its own position now.  I suspect a bit more use will make the treble even more transparent, but it has just become really more so than it had been.

In my opinion, ever since the PS1000 came out, the GS1000 hasn't recieved the attention it deserves. They not only sound great, but they're also the most comfortable headphones that Grado makes. I also think that they offer a better price vs performance ratio than tha PS1000. 

Nov 7, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #28,887 of 65,542

In my opinion, ever since the PS1000 came out, the GS1000 hasn't recieved the attention it deserves. They not only sound great, but they're also the most comfortable headphones that Grado makes. I also think that they offer a better price vs performance ratio than tha PS1000. 

+1

Nov 7, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #28,888 of 65,542

I think maybe the GH-1 w(G) cushions may be the most comfortable/best price/performance ratio now.

Nov 7, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #28,889 of 65,542
[@]kayandjohn[/@]
Krutsch

So, in the end I decided to give the 325e a go, thanks for the almighty 13 grados posts.

Also bought the Hd650 for a little variety. Managed to demo the hd650's at least and really liked them, more than the Beyer t90's actually.

And then i saw the massdrop pair of akg k7xx for $199 and couldnt resist so bought them too. Price just seemed good and if i dont like them i can just get rid of them, lol.

Now just waiting on shipping...so excited!!

Nov 7, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #28,890 of 65,542
@kayandjohn

@Krutsch

So, in the end I decided to give the 325e a go, thanks for the almighty 13 grados posts.

Also bought the Hd650 for a little variety. Managed to demo the hd650's at least and really liked them, more than the Beyer t90's actually.

And then i saw the massdrop pair of akg k7xx for $199 and couldnt resist so bought them too. Price just seemed good and if i dont like them i can just get rid of them, lol.

Now just waiting on shipping...so excited!!

I hope you will tell us what you think of the SR325e, and how it compares to the HD650 and the AKG 7xx! Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back