Grado Fan Club!
Sep 21, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #28,126 of 65,639
  curious how similar different Grado models sound relative to each other?

I recently had a chance to play with one Grado with my home system and run some measurements on them... and I hate to say it, but I was extremely disappointed...

not really sure how these headphones can be recommended if looking for a neutral, well-balanced sound signature.

edit: is it just me or does these headphones seem like something someone DIY-ed in their basement? build quality and material quality seems a bit lacking.

Neutral...no certainly not.

Fun...yes, extremely so and while I will probably never own very many different Grado's at one time, i will always have one very close so I will be able to scratch my Grado itch.

They are the best low level listening cans that I have ever used and they are very fast and excel with electric guitar...all of this can be achieved with any model....that is why I think everyone should at least have a pair of SR60....very fun  
smile.gif

Sep 21, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #28,127 of 65,639
Grados are the furthest thing from neutral I can think of. For me "neutral" = DT880, MDR V6, AKG K550 etc. 

Of all the Grados I've auditioned/owned perhaps the GR10 is the only thing that comes close to neutral.

Sep 21, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #28,128 of 65,639

I recently had a chance to play with one Grado with my home system and run some measurements on them... and I hate to say it, but I was extremely disappointed...

not really sure how these headphones can be recommended if looking for a neutral, well-balanced sound signature.

edit: is it just me or does these headphones seem like something someone DIY-ed in their basement? build quality and material quality seems a bit lacking.

@money4me247 , welcome to GradoLand. Despite your concerns above, I bet you stay!

One prolific poster here (@stacker45) compares different headphones to different models of automobiles. In that spirit, I would compare headphones to people.

The HE1000, for which you wrote what I consider the landmark review of its beta version (others, go here if you want to see one of the best reviews ever - 35 "thumbs up" so far!), like the HD 800, is the brainy good student, always telling the truth and always right.

The Grados, on the other hand, are the unique personalities in class... the guy that can instantly compose a rap on any topic, or the girl that wears the offbeat, enticing outfits.

One goes to one place for truth, but comes here to GradoLand for...Fun!

Sep 21, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #28,129 of 65,639
For me and only those of us that have live to enjoy the richest climax of rock music during the late 60's and 70's. A music that takes roots in the cotton fields of the southern plantations from gospel, country, folk that was picked up from the early black blues by those of the likes of Carl Perkins, Elvis, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee etc. and taking a detour during the civil rights by England by the greats of the brittish invation like the Beattles and RollingStones and all the rest of the greats. To mature into the greatest sound of our century that in my humble opinion is rivaled only by the masters of classical music in creative genius and ability to touch the soul. The tools of the classics were the wonderful craftmanship of their instruments and the acoustics of the auditoriums opera houses that performed without amplification. This being said I am from the age of the height of rock at the introduction of high fi. And being that while there is and resurgence and very good attempts to reproduce this wonderful sound I must apologize for being byious and prejudiced but it is the engineering of the greats that designed names such as McIntosh Marshall Jensen Vox and on and on that set the bar for me that they all try (and very often succeed to be fair) that I measure the sound of my Grados. So when I call Joseph Grado's designs as neutral I am referring to his reproducion of the not so neutral sounds the artist were producing in the days we were first introduced to HiFi with those magical tube Marshall amps. So instead on the word neutral I should say "The Magical Sound" of the Grados that many try to reach. Worthy of mention for this magical sound is the wonderful amps and speakers of that period that brought affordability of the hifi experience to my youth like pioneer marantz sansui and the great speakers like JBL, HPM pioneers, Altec Lansing etc...just as Grados reaches this magical sound out today.

Sep 21, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #28,130 of 65,639
  I bought my first Grados (which were my 2nd "audiophile" cans too), the SR60i because then I read that Grados are best for Rock and Metal. Honestly even till now I have found no other headphones that can do these 2 genres as well as Grados. My most favourite "headfi moment" was when I listened to the 325is + ODAC/O2 for the first time. Even till now I have barely been without a pair of 325is, except for a short period that I could afford the RS1i.

I think Grado clearly shines when you need an experience that is musical and fun. The HD650 easily beats Grado in term of smoothness, and soundstage has never been Grado's strength either. However if you need some intimate Jazz or some powerful Metal or just some lively Indie, I'd definitely recommend Grado over anything else in their respective price range. In Metal, Grados can both improve those poorly recorded Black Metal albums and also add more attacks to almost-perfectly recorded discs from Pantera or Death as well. I've moved onto Indie and Alternative Rock and Vietnamese Oldies more, but still it's almost impossible for me to survive without a pair of Grados. 

Some SR325is maybe made for lehoang15tuoi.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grado-SR325is-Headphones-/221885960565?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Sep 21, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #28,132 of 65,639
  oy, is it that time of the month already!??...
confused_face.gif

I have NEVER seen Grados recommended for neutral well balanced sound signature. Hell, if I were to EVER recommend Grados to anyone is to other Grado fans, or MAYBE occasional  "I have $500 only to spend, what should I get?" noob thread. IMO, and if you're looking for just about anything but electronic music or rap music, I'd recommend something like a ps500e instead of throwing away money towards a cheap amp, cheap dac and then mediocre headphone. Better to put that money into a nice headphone that works well with your current source like your smartphone or ipod, etc...  IMO of course.

After a long and never ending journey really, I landed on Grados. They are my personal preference for listening and enjoying music. I still venture out and BUY different headphones from other manufacturers to try out. I usually will also buy an amp to compliment that headphone to do it justice and audition it in hopes to find something more. After giving it some time to get aquainted to them, I've found that they just don't do it for me then I'll just move them along.
Sorry to throw rocks at you on this, but if I disliked the particular headphone, I don't go looking for that particular headphone appreciation thread and much less that headphone's manufacturer appreciation (fan club) thread and stir the pot. For what? I don't get it? I mean, why on earth would I go to the Hifiman thread (for example), tell them I bought an HE-500 and that I'm sorry, but these headphones are just off!

Me on the Hifiman thread: "Please guys, help me understand, how is it possible that you guys like this sound? Help me understand the appeal of these Headphones, I'm just curious" 
rolleyes.gif

I'm with you Worms. This guy isn't asking for opinions because he is interrested in buying a pair of Grado, and can't audition them before he buys. He has actually heard one of the most appreciated Grado model. The GH-1 in stock form, has slightly more bass, and less treble, and he still didn't think that the bass was sufficient, and he said that the treble was too bright.

He has not said ONE positive thing about Grado. The GH-1 are light as a feather, there, one positive thing....check!. He even said that Grados look like they are DIY by someone in his basement. I think I even remember him saying that someone who's a bit handy, could make a better product.   

It's simple, you listen, you either, like, or you don't, if you do, you go on a fan thread, and discuss about it, if you don't, it's end of story. If you decide to go on a fan thread, and start rocking the boat by pointing at every flaw that the headphones have according to you, you are throlling. 

The thing that I hate even more about the throlls, is when they dial it back a few notches, once they see that **** has hit the fan, saying something like, ''I didn't mean for my comments to sound negative'', I'm sure that they say this, just so the throll keeps going.
rolleyes.gif

I couldn't agree more, with your last sentence buddy.
beerchug.gif

Sep 21, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #28,135 of 65,639

Quote:
Have been messaging with him. He is very interested in Grados and which kinds of songs work best with them.

That's ok, it's almost time for your pills.

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk

You're right, it is time for my pills, and while I'm gone, why don't you read his post above, and tell me again if this seems like someone who's really interrested in buying one of Grado's ''DIY'',  products!
rolleyes.gif

Sep 21, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #28,136 of 65,639
Stacker45 some people are just not worthy of the beatles the rolling stones janis the allman brothers so just let them mire in their bass heavy no trebble beats lifeless music! So sad isn't it!

Hey don't you start badmouthing the Beats. Who do you think is precribing me my pills...I'd be lost without the good old Dr Dre!
tongue.gif

Sep 22, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #28,137 of 65,639
Hey don't you start badmouthing the Beats. Who do you think is precribing me my pills...I'd be lost without the good old Dr Dre! :p

Sep 22, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #28,138 of 65,639

Users who are viewing this thread

Back