Grado Fan Club!
Feb 21, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #23,311 of 65,649

Same here...I'd be really curious to hear the GS1ks in the "e" version. I chose the PS500s over the i version, but now that I've had a taste of the new driver I'd really be interested to compare. I love the look of the GS1ks...just beautiful headphones. 

oh the gs1ke is a winner for sure , love it, love it, never should have sold it !   
frown.gif

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #23,312 of 65,649
  Feel like I should really give the PS1k and GS1k another try. I didn't spend much time with them, but if my memories serve me right the mids on the PS1k is "recessed" in the same sense as on the PS500. Another thing is I don't think my ODAC O2 and LD I+ can drive the PS1k to their full potential

Oh I think the LD I+, along with the Schitt LYR 2, the Mad Ear + HD, the Woo Audio WA6 and the Melos SHA-1 Gold, are the top handful of tube amps for Grado headphones.

Be interested to see what @whirlwind thinks, as his profile shows him with both the LD I+ and the MadEar + HD.

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #23,313 of 65,649
Give them a try with different amps and some well produced music and decide for yourself how well others keep up. 

I agree, after trying the PS1K with 5 different amps (2-SS/2-tube/1-hybrid) all sounded good, but I went with a SS for the PS1K.

Quote:

If my memories serve me right the mids on the PS1k is "recessed" in the same sense as on the PS500.

The mids on the PS1K's are not recessed, they are placed nicely…definitely not as forward as the SR/RS models…and definitely not as recessed as the GS1Ki. 

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #23,315 of 65,649
  No Woo Audio amps???

Thanks... yes indeed the Woo WA-6 is said to be good (I was actually on the verge of buying one... how could I forget?)

Added to post.

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #23,316 of 65,649
I remember someone compared their Woo to the LD I+. It was in the rs1i thread, I believe. He said the difference was day and night. I certainly like my I+ a lot, but after all, there's just so much you can take from a $150 amp.

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #23,317 of 65,649

Feel like I should really give the PS1k and GS1k another try. I didn't spend much time with them, but if my memories serve me right the mids on the PS1k is "recessed" in the same sense as on the PS500. Another thing is I don't think my ODAC O2 and LD I+ can drive the PS1k to their full potential

Oh I think the LD I+, along with the Schitt LYR 2, the Mad Ear + HD, the Woo Audio WA6 and the Melos SHA-1 Gold, are the top handful of tube amps for Grado headphones.

Be interested to see what @whirlwind thinks, as his profile shows him with both the LD I+ and the MadEar + HD.

I like both the LD1+ and the Mad Ear with Grados....the LD1+ is a hybrid and the Mad Ear is a pure tube amp.....I much prefer the Mad Ear..but that is just me and everybody's mileage may very.

The synergy with the mad is better imo, especially with the 5751 triple mica blackplate tube

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #23,319 of 65,649
  oh the gs1ke is a winner for sure , love it, love it, never should have sold it !   
frown.gif

I'll be really interested once you hear the RS2e...just to see how you think it compares to the GS1ke

Feb 21, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #23,321 of 65,649
Ah, good call curious indeed.

I really want to know just how much these "e" drivers have impacted the other models, or if the RS-2e I just bought just happens to be a superior example of how that driver should be implemented. Seems like many feel the RS-1 and PS500 took a step back with the "e" drivers...while the PS1ks took a step forward. (Generally speaking, based on my observations)

Feb 21, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #23,322 of 65,649

I'll be really interested once you hear the RS2e...just to see how you think it compares to the GS1ke

well, after hearing how you like the rs2e, it's up at the top of my "want to hear" list

Feb 21, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #23,324 of 65,649
  uh oh....Jay will have one next week
biggrin.gif

Very cool, that means if he still has it on April 18, I can try it out!!!!!!!!!!
basshead.gif

Feb 21, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #23,325 of 65,649

I really want to know just how much these "e" drivers have impacted the other models, or if the RS-2e I just bought just happens to be a superior example of how that driver should be implemented. Seems like many feel the RS-1 and PS500 took a step back with the "e" drivers...while the PS1ks took a step forward. (Generally speaking, based on my observations)

I've heard the 225e and, just recently, picked up a 60e.

In both cases the main change to my ears is a fuller bass response and a slightly softened treble. In both models the drivers have two holes pre-vented, which I guess accounts for most of the changes to the sound signature.  (The 225e also has an amazingly centred sound, but maybe I just got lucky with the driver matching when they were put together ...)

I'm actually hugely impressed by the 60e ... with L cushions on it sounds remarkably close to the 225e. An absolute bargain of a headphone
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back