Grado Fan Club!
Dec 1, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #20,477 of 65,622
Dec 1, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #20,478 of 65,622
"Come on in. The beers free, but the cups cost ten bucks apiece."

Whoa now... I am not having people coming over and drinking, too much sensitive audio equipment around :wink:

Dec 1, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #20,479 of 65,622
I have a Benchmark Dac-1 incoming this week.  Can't wait to hear how my 225i/400i/Primes present the sound from this classic DAC!!!!!!

biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #20,480 of 65,622
  Indeed her stage presence is wonderful, her pitch and tone are really great, her song selection sparkles, but for some reason, at least through my Grados, her voice is unintelligible... I cannot understand a word she sings!  I even put the headphones on backwards, thinking her utterances might be encoded.  But no dice!

Well, I don't understand German either, but I love her voices and appearances, sounds perfect for my taste on my Grado 
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #20,481 of 65,622

Helene Fischer , She's German , don't you understand German ?   ,  you ain't from da Vaderland ? 

You Grado people are a bunch of Red-necks !  ,   I understand her quite well on my Sennheisers .  

Tony in Michigan 

Well, for me it doesn't matter whether it's German, US, UK, Japan, China, etc as long as it delivers and brings goodness for the people, as my sound system consist of those countries anyway 
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #20,482 of 65,622
      X   

Collaboration....would be say...'unexpected' but why not...

on the other hand they already did:

....we'll see what we get....

When I first saw the D&G ones I felt a little queasy...seemed so sad and almost a little slutty, but I guess we all have to pay the bills at some point.

Personally, on a more serious note, I would love to see Grado do a collaboration with whoever owns the Blue Note, Verve or Impulse labels now...nothing horrendously overpriced like the A&K AK240 collaboration with Blue Note, but just something classy and new in wood or metal.It needn't even be a jazz-nerd thing either...maybe another label like Columbia, Harvest or even a newer one like Sub-Pop, possibly even Warp :).

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #20,483 of 65,622
Personally, on a more serious note, I would love to see Grado do a collaboration with whoever owns the Blue Note, Verve or Impulse labels now...nothing horrendously overpriced like the A&K AK240 collaboration with Blue Note, but just something classy and new in wood or metal.It needn't even be a jazz-nerd thing either...maybe another label like Columbia, Harvest or even a newer one like Sub-Pop, possibly even Warp :).

Agreed. D&G doesn't stand for 'music lovers', just 'fashionista'.

I'm intending to build my own 'Blue Note' jazz Grado out of my old SR60i... Khaya wooden cups by 7Keys, silver cable...

gs1000.gif

Dec 2, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #20,484 of 65,622

When I first saw the D&G ones I felt a little queasy...seemed so sad and almost a little slutty, but I guess we all have to pay the bills at some point.

Same reaction here. But felt that, from a marketing perspective, it may have brought the GradoLabs name to more people. Although this too is debatable looking at the price and the targeted demographic.

I hope for something with Verve. Would be a good fit for marketing purposes (i am normally opposed to paying more for a second name...but sometimes it doesn't hurt all that much -> UE x CapitolStudios = UERM)

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #20,486 of 65,622

Price Points for Best ! 

Best Grado is an Oxymoron . 

Best would be a used Pair of Sennheiser HD600s for about $250 .   

Tony in Michigan 

ps .   Grado is just a Club like Mustang Owner's Club , there is no such thing as a BEST Mustang !  

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #20,487 of 65,622
Hi guys, I'm thinking about dabbling into the world of grados and am curious as far as what would be the best pair at each price range?

$75?
$125?
$175?
$225?
$275?
$325?

What grados would you suggest for around all of the above price points?

Thanks in advance.

New or used?

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #20,489 of 65,622
JoeDoe

New.

Based on what I read, the general consensus I've got is that the sr225 is the best deal grado for under 500.

I'd say 80e, 225i, (never heard the e version) or 325e. obviously these are in ascending price order

Dec 2, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #20,490 of 65,622
$75 - Grado SR60e (MSRP $79):  to me the VERY BEST headphone at this price and one of the best at twice the price... a bit more bass than others in the SR ("Prestige") series;  though I have nearly EVERY Grado model (top-line PS1000 arriving this week), I listen to my SR60s as much as any of them to just marvel, with a smile on my face, how something so relatively inexpensive can be so "presence" sounding and comfortable. Many people prefer the next one up, the SR80e, but at MSRP of $99, you'd want to find it used to get it for $75.

$125 - funny price point that falls right between the SR125e (MSRP $150) and the SR80e ($99) - if I were trying to hit $125, I'd go for a used SR225e (MSRP of $199, used price of 2/3 that or $133 or so)

$175 -- again, a price point that straddles MSRP of various models.  I'd shoot for a used top-of-the-Prestige-Series SR325e, MRSP of $299 and 2/3 that for like-new used of $199. 

$225 --  new SR225e for $200 MSRP.

$275 -- somehow you have to have the SR325e on your list... it is the brightest of the Grados, a caricature of the transparency, presence, and fast treble response that go with the Grado sound.  They list for $299.

$325 -- find a used RS2e, MSRP of $495 new, probably could get for 2/3 of that, or $335.

Dang, I LOVE questions like this that allow me to rhapsodize about various Grado models.  Wanna hear me recite from memory the construction materials of the cup, grill, and such of each member of the Prestige Series??

A weakness of this is that I did NOT include any of their IEMs (iGi $89, GR8 @ $299, GR$10 @ $399), nor related brands, such as the Alessandro MS1, MS2, or special versions as custom made for head-fi,org, which are the HF1, HF2...  I have not actually heard any of these so I would not be giving anything other than opinions of others.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back