Grado Fan Club!
Oct 23, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #19,336 of 65,633
  Every time I try a headphone other than a Grado...I can't wait to hear my Grado's! 
happy_face1.gif

I've been like that for the past 3 years, until these darn 400i's.  Jamming to Bonamassa right now, "Had to Cry Today" is stunning with these things.  No temptation to switch at the moment.

I do miss the weight of the Grado's though...

Oct 23, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #19,337 of 65,633
  I've been like that for the past 3 years, until these darn 400i's.  Jamming to Bonamassa right now, "Had to Cry Today" is stunning with these things.  No temptation to switch at the moment.

I do miss the weight of the Grado's though...

I know I need plant more time for these to burn-in, they only have about 6hrs on them, and they do sound real good, but I don't know what it is. I'm going to try and keep my patience though…I think.

EDIT: 
BTW, the gimbals are pretty scratched up on the pair I got…one side is a lot worse than the other, which really surprised me being they have such a nice finish and are very well built.

Oct 23, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #19,338 of 65,633
So from above, the LD + is great, the MAD EYE HD is even better, and the RA-1 is described to be like the much cheaper CMOY.

Has anyone listened to the RA-1 vs. either the LD + or the MAD EYE HD?  Just curious,  as it is built by the headphone manufacturer (or at least sold by them!), just as the HDVD 800 is sold by Sennheiser and recognized to be one of the best for the HD 800.

The RA-1 price, at around $400, is intermediate to the LD +1 at just over $100 and the MAD EYE HD at around $700. 

Just curious about the RA-1!  Gets a lot of "sure is overpriced" press (see here:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/91223/is-the-grado-ra-1-a-cmoy#post_1060648 ) but I have not found any comparative listening to either of these two tube amps.

I'm interested because I aspire to buy a PS1000e, and I read that that headphone will scale up in quality with high-quality upstream components.

Thanks!

Oct 23, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #19,340 of 65,633
I have the LD1+ and a WA6, and while for the money the LD is very good, I prefer the WA6. Deeper bass, wider soundstage and sweeter/smoother treble. The WA6 also works very well with my LCD2 and HE-4.
The Woo Audio WA6 is a stunning revelation to anyone who hasn't experienced the lush full sound of a tube headphone amplifier.

Oct 23, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #19,341 of 65,633
  So from above, the LD + is great, the MAD EYE HD is even better, and the RA-1 is described to be like the much cheaper CMOY.

Has anyone listened to the RA-1 vs. either the LD + or the MAD EYE HD?  Just curious,  as it is built by the headphone manufacturer (or at least sold by them!), just as the HDVD 800 is sold by Sennheiser and recognized to be one of the best for the HD 800.

The RA-1 price, at around $400, is intermediate to the LD +1 at just over $100 and the MAD EYE HD at around $700. 

Just curious about the RA-1!  Gets a lot of "sure is overpriced" press (see here:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/91223/is-the-grado-ra-1-a-cmoy#post_1060648 ) but I have not found any comparative listening to either of these two tube amps.

I'm interested because I aspire to buy a PS1000e, and I read that that headphone will scale up in quality with high-quality upstream components.

Thanks!

I have never heard the RA-1 so I really hate to say anything about it....but I believe it to be just a high end cmoy.

The LD1+  is a hybrid amp, meaning it has opamps and tubes....so you can roll both....but it is not a pure tube amp.

To get a pure tube amp, it will cost probably at least $500 unless you buy one used.....which you can and which is fine.

If you dont have a problem with your RA-1, heck just use it....especially if it sounds good to you.

One of the wonderful things about Grados is that they are only 32 ohm and are so easily amped.

I have found out that a higher end headphone takes more advantage of a good dac than say a low end or even mid-fi headphone.

I could tell a very small difference with my RS1i and my new dac...it was there, but to be honest...it was minimal gain.

With the HD800 the difference was much more pronounced, there was more of a wow factor so to speak.

Oct 23, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #19,342 of 65,633
The lcd2f has arrived !

Oct 23, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #19,343 of 65,633

The Woo Audio WA6 is a stunning revelation to anyone who hasn't experienced the lush full sound of a tube headphone amplifier.

Plus about a gazillion.

Oct 24, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #19,346 of 65,633

Any comparison of, the Woo Audio WA6 to the MAD Eye HD?  Especially on Grades?  They are very close in price.

Oct 24, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #19,347 of 65,633
Guys, any suggestion on best desktop amp for Grados (RS1i and SR325is) in addition to Chord Hugo? Budget is USD2,500, more or less.

Oct 24, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #19,350 of 65,633
Hey everybody. Wanted to check in as a first time Grado owner. I bought a pair of SR60e's on a whim when I was demoing headphones in New York. Gotta say they really surprise me with their sound. I own a pair of HD-598 Senns and am seriously thinking I prefer my SR60s, at least for now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back