Grado Fan Club!
Aug 11, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #17,731 of 65,651
Too lazy to do the fancy art work thing, but, on deck tonight, Loreenna McKennitt, Elemental CD 37 minutes of pure musical bliss. The PS1000. the LD 1+, and my trusty Yamaha DVD-S2700 will play quarter back for this one. Well!  off I go.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Aug 11, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #17,733 of 65,651
This thread is a gold mine for great music recommendations.
smily_headphones1.gif

Glad somebody likes it.
rolleyes.gif

Will post some more later this week.

In the end, it's all about the music. 
beerchug.gif

Aug 11, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #17,734 of 65,651
  Too lazy to do the fancy art work thing, but, on deck tonight, Loreenna McKennitt, Elemental CD 37 minutes of pure musical bliss. The PS1000. the LD 1+, and my trusty Yamaha DVD-S2700 will play quarter back for this one. Well!  off I go.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

thanks, stacker. will check this out. female vocals are my thing for late nights.

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #17,735 of 65,651
  Loreenna McKennitt, Elemental CD 37 minutes of pure musical bliss.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

Wow. She sounds amazing. Will have to buy some of her CDs and some iTunes single tracks for harder-to-find CDs from her that cost $$$ as CDs.
The acoustics are damn detailed on her music.
Thanks!

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #17,736 of 65,651
This is true. Smart@ssness is probably genetic. :devil_face:

Who's that in your avatar -- Your kid?
We make a good team....like Laurel & Hardy.....:beerchug:

I think mine was a combination of genetics and a karmic debt my patents compiled in their youth being paid back via acerbic offspring. Karma truly is a b!tc#, it seems. (Which is why I keep dodging having kids).

Nah, no idea who the kid in the pic is. A buddy of mine sent me that years ago, and since that kid looks like he flat-out knows how to friggin' rock, I thought he'd be an appropriate avatar for me :wink:.

BTW, Melody Gardot's voice can have as many of my babies as it wants. Pure soul-stirring hotness.

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #17,737 of 65,651
  Wow. She sounds amazing. Will have to buy some of her CDs and some iTunes single tracks for harder-to-find CDs from her that cost $$$ as CDs.
The acoustics are damn detailed on her music.
Thanks!

Loreena McKennitt has been one of my favorites for a while. if you've already listened to samples of her later stuff, then you know that her later CDs really get away from the Irish songs from Elemental and move to more Mediterranean influences. I love it but it's a big shift from Elemental. I particularly like her Live in Paris and Toronto CD release from 94.

And, for my money, her music sounds best on the GS1000 and PS1000 Grados. her music is full of overlapping, layered percussion and rhythms. Big soundstage helps identify all the supporting acoustic work and provides the appropriate sense of scale. But the SR and RS Grados will highlight her voice to a greater degree, as you might expect..

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #17,738 of 65,651
Nah, no idea who the kid in the pic is. A buddy of mine sent me that years ago, and since that kid looks like he flat-out knows how to friggin' rock, I thought he'd be an appropriate avatar for me :wink:.

Well, I'm not going to believe you because it's my favorite avatar--and very apt for you indeed. I even showed it to my girl and she was touched by how taken I was with the little fella's spirit. She said I was speaking about him as if he were my own. So I'm going to keep on believing . . .

Aug 11, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #17,739 of 65,651
on the female vocalists topic, i've never had many ladies that i was a huge fan of , i was kinda in the chicks can't sing rock and roll camp, which isn't true i know
janis, aretha, tina turner, come to mind as ones i do like. but the first time i heard susan, i was an instant fan, such soul, power, emotion, and range.
i've said it before, as the allman brothers wind down, and derek is able to fully concentrate on the TTB, i think they are going to be a huge force . and susan's voice is as impressive to me
as derek's playing. the whole group is just outfreakingstanding ! they almost got a "big band" type thing going to me

step aside warren and let the lady sing !

Aug 11, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #17,740 of 65,651
Listening to this at the office through the SR-125i's (L-cush), just discovered "The Dining Rooms". This is some pretty good stuff :D

Aug 11, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #17,741 of 65,651

Loreena McKennitt has been one of my favorites for a while. if you've already listened to samples of her later stuff, then you know that her later CDs really get away from the Irish songs from Elemental and move to more Mediterranean influences. I love it but it's a big shift from Elemental. I particularly like her Live in Paris and Toronto CD release from 94.

And, for my money, her music sounds best on the GS1000 and PS1000 Grados. her music is full of overlapping, layered percussion and rhythms. Big soundstage helps identify all the supporting acoustic work and provides the appropriate sense of scale. But the SR and RS Grados will highlight her voice to a greater degree, as you might expect..

I dig her, too. My Mom was into new age and Irish music...although I think she kind of transcends the genre. I like the Book of Secrets as well.

Aug 11, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #17,742 of 65,651

Just bought Elemental CD from Amazon.ca ! Thx for the rec. Great sounding acoustic music and divine vocals!
I could have saved $5 from iTunes, but I always prefer the CD, as I can then rip it as FLAC to my BDP-1 player (and Apple Lossless to my iPod Classic). SQ is WAY better
than mp4's from the web.

Aug 11, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #17,743 of 65,651
Hey, so I want your opinions on which Grado(s) is suited for classical music --

a) symphonies and choral (large scale)
b) chamber (small scale)
c) opera

I have been using the PS500 for a and b, GS1000i for a and c.
Not sure if my RS1i would better these for a, b, and/or c.

Any thoughts?

Aug 11, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #17,744 of 65,651
my 2 cents.

PS1000 for all three. Possibly GS1000i (or e) but I once owned the GS1000 (non i) and found the high end just a little too tipped up, making stuff like cymbals or violins a little too thin or papery compared to the PS1000. GS1000i might have improved that. not sure. it really depended on how those instruments were recorded on the track. If they were in the background, the GS1000 handled them OK. if they were more prominent in the mix, the GS1000 didn’t really work well with them.

But! the RS1i was also well suited for my tastes for b). I recently enjoyed a lot of small scale violin and cello concertos on the RS1i. Not sure if it would be better than a PS500. just different. It’ll be brighter and with a slightly smaller soundstage. you may prefer it, you may not. 

Aug 11, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #17,745 of 65,651
  Hey, so I want your opinions on which Grado(s) is suited for classical music --

a) symphonies and choral (large scale)
b) chamber (small scale)
c) opera

I have been using the PS500 for a and b, GS1000i for a and c.
Not sure if my RS1i would better these for a, b, and/or c.

Any thoughts?

It sounds as if you have both the PS500 and the RS1i.  I'd love  your comparisons of the two (which is more transparent?  which has stronger bass?), as I bought the PS500.  I then traded it away in a moment of foolishness (for the AKG-3003i, a top IEM that DELIGHTS me, so it wasn't TOO foolish), but then felt pangs of homesickness or loss for no longer having my PS500. So I bought an RS-1i, understanding that it, (more than the PS500) represented the "true Grado house sound.

I love it... but I'd love your comparison.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back