Grado Fan Club!
Jul 23, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #17,146 of 65,797
  No: the writing that says " The Prestige Series"  and "Grado Labs"....

I handle the edges of the air chamber. I have no trouble with the Prestige Series HPs, as the lettering is actually on raised plastic molds of the letters. A bit of silver paint does well if the lettering ever fades. It's the lettering on the RS1i that has me fretting. They're not raised but silk-screened on the wood cups. Those could easily scratch off. In the end, just handle with lovin' care.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 23, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #17,147 of 65,797
  ....Does anyone know how to protect the lettering on the cans so that it doesn't rub off over time?

Don't touch them! Just kidding.
I usually pick up my headphones from the cushions while they are face down, and never pick them up by the cups. If the lettering is that bad…I had a new pair that I took an eraser to, and erased all of the lettering, so the cups were "blacked out" and they looked great IMO. 

Jul 23, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #17,148 of 65,797

I do something similar with DLNA (MinimServer on a Mac Mini) --> Denon network player (DNP-720AE) --> optical to Arcam rDac --> NAD C375BEE --> Speakers.

The NAD has the integrated DAC module, but the Arcam simply blows it away for SQ, so I pulled it from the head-fi rig to use there.  I am looking hard at Sonos, because the Denon is a 1st-gen product that doesn't do gapless (unless you drive it with the remote and the 3-line OLED display) and the iOS app really, really sucks.  However, the above does handle hi-res tracks (if that matters) and does sound quite good.

Anyway, thanks!

Very cool. It's definitely a case of-"the future is now" kind of thing IMO. It's really changed the way I listen to music. I can sit down and really listen to higher end sound on my dedicated rig, listen to my Grados if I feel like it.

But, so often when I just have a few minutes, a quick work out in my basement, doing a home project, even in the morning, getting ready for work, feeding the dogs, drinking a cup of joe, the TV is on, commercial, grab my cell phone, push a button and I listen to a couple of songs from a play list, then back to the news. Ridiculous extravagance, but my dream was to have access to all my music whenever I want it in any room of the house. A giant speaker based Ipod for the house available in any room I want. Every song I own, internet radio, streaming any music service.

You can make Sonos sound good. Lossless through their better components (playbar w/ sub for example) is really decent. For anyone thinking about it-compressed mp3 files thru their connect into resolving speakers will make you want to cry. For that, you will be very tempted to add a very nice DAC-the best you can afford
mad.gif

The next generation will be how to make it sound truly audiophile quality good w/o having to purchase a $5k plus DAC. High  end wireless speaker sound that is affordable.....

I want it all baby!!

M'haa-ha-ha! I must rule the World, the universe,,,,

oh, ok I've got my meds now. Sorry.

Jul 23, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #17,149 of 65,797
  <snip, snip>

I want it all baby!!

M'haa-ha-ha! I must rule the World, the universe,,,,

oh, ok I've got my meds now. Sorry.

Dude... you are two posts away from having it all 
blink.gif

Jul 23, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #17,150 of 65,797
Pure Grado bliss!

Jul 23, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #17,151 of 65,797
PS500e demo cans are here!

Jul 23, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #17,152 of 65,797
Jul 23, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #17,155 of 65,797
All I have to say is... sorry for your wallets... mine included...

Jul 23, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #17,157 of 65,797
man, i gone for just the first half of the day and 38 post , dayumn ! lol

oh, and my gs1000e's should be here tomorrow !

Jul 23, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #17,158 of 65,797
Darn it, I'm back in this club again.  Couldn't resist the closeout deals on the i Series and I picked up a pair of 125i's.  Listening to them now and I have to say that the only pain I feel is in my wallet. 

Long live Grado. 

Jul 23, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #17,159 of 65,797
For anybody that is a fan of SRV

The Essential Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble 2 cd set.....songs spanning from 1983-2002....all digitally remastered from the original recordings....33 songs in all.

I have to be honest....I have not heard this  on my 225 yet....but this set is stellar  
smile.gif

Just get it!

Jul 23, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #17,160 of 65,797
  ars technica visits Grado

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/07/some-of-the-worlds-most-reknowned-headphones-built-in-a-brooklyn-townhouse/

Did anyone watch this - it's actually quite interesting.

Jonathan Grado says at the end that "what we don't produce in this building [Grado factory] is the wood, the metal and the drivers. The drivers are our design, but we just don't have the room in this building [to manufacture them]"

(p.s. not trying to start a fight with anyone!  I know it's been the subject of some debate in the past, so I thought it was good to have it on the record ...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back