Grado Fan Club!
Mar 31, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #13,396 of 65,796
2 things: bass at the expense of a tactile midrange, and the weight of the darn things.

But to be fair, that was off of the Hifiman speaker tap connected to my Marantz receiver.  Considering that the Alpha Dogs sounds infinitely better with the Burson, I would like to try the LCD-2 and my old HE-5LE's again with the Burson.

That being the case, I have my eyes on the new Hifiman HE-560's for an open planar, to compliment the Alpah's and the 225i's.  I also still want to the GS1000's at some point.  My taste in cans is not getting any cheaper!

Interesting, I don't find the bass overpowering and the weight isn't bad at all. I find them more comfortable than my 325s and a lot more comfortable than the HE400. Also I was very pleasantly surprised how good the LCD2s sounded amped with "just" an E10. I have to do more listening but I think I prefer the E10 over the WA6 with the LCD2.

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #13,397 of 65,796
Anybody own any binaural cd's. I got my first one today "The Bucky Pizzarelli Trio" I must say this is an awesome experience. Takes soundstage to a whole new level. Sr325is is so good at reproducing guitar, this cd and headphone really go together.

Mar 31, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #13,398 of 65,796
WA6 reserved for my Grado line, especially the RS1's, RS2s, and the woodied 325is.

I run my LCD2s from the Schiit Lyr, and believe this to be one of the most sublime pairings in the HP universe.
I have listened to the LCDs on the WOO and I do not believe that it's anywhere as nice for the LCDs as is the Schiit.

Am now doing a HiFiman EF2 vs the Little Dot1 running the Grado 325is,(not woodied), comparison....
It's going to be a great pairing either way. Both amps are doing nice things for that legendary sparkle.
I think use is going to boil down to where I want a DAC, and if the HiFiman DAC even comes close to the Schiit Modi that I run the Little Dot1 from. That Modi, BTW, is a nice little work-horse DAC, seems pretty ample for a LOT of my amps.
Including the WooWa6...

smile.gif

Apr 1, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #13,400 of 65,796
  WA6 reserved for my Grado line, especially the RS1's, RS2s, and the woodied 325is.

I run my LCD2s from the Schiit Lyr, and believe this to be one of the most sublime pairings in the HP universe.
I have listened to the LCDs on the WOO and I do not believe that it's anywhere as nice for the LCDs as is the Schiit.

Am now doing a HiFiman EF2 vs the Little Dot1 running the Grado 325is,(not woodied), comparison....
It's going to be a great pairing either way. Both amps are doing nice things for that legendary sparkle.
I think use is going to boil down to where I want a DAC, and if the HiFiman DAC even comes close to the Schiit Modi that I run the Little Dot1 from. That Modi, BTW, is a nice little work-horse DAC, seems pretty ample for a LOT of my amps.
Including the WooWa6...

smile.gif

Funny you mentioned the WA6 paired with the Modi,
just tonight while listening to the WA6/RS1i's with my Meridian 203 dac I was thinking that tomorrow night I'm going to try the Modi with this setup instead of the Meridian 203, just to do a little comparison between the two dacs. There will be some differences in connections though…I use the optical output from the Meridian 203, and the Modi's USB connection, using ALAC files from my MBP, so this should be interesting to hear the differences.

Apr 1, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #13,401 of 65,796
The nice little Modi, with it's modest footprint, has been such a gemmy little go-to, that I just leave it plugged into the USB under my iMac monitor full time, and just switch the interconnects from whichever amp.
REALLY easy, and I don't have any other variables I have to worry about comparing.

It's kind of funny- I have not always had the best quality from the optical output, no matter how nice my cable. Intermittent  crackles and sync oddities.
I rarely, if ever experience issues with USB. But cable truly DOES matter in the USB quality, apparently. Higher quality cable has sounded better every time.

You should really like what that little Modi will do for you.
You may, ultimately, end up doing much as I do with mine.
A really nice all-rounder!

macs rule, btw.

cool.gif

Apr 1, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #13,402 of 65,796
  The nice little Modi, with it's modest footprint, has been such a gemmy little go-to, that I just leave it plugged into the USB under my iMac monitor full time, and just switch the interconnects from whichever amp.
REALLY easy, and I don't have any other variables I have to worry about comparing.

It's kind of funny- I have not always had the best quality from the optical output, no matter how nice my cable. Intermittent  crackles and sync oddities.
I rarely, if ever experience issues with USB. But cable truly DOES matter in the USB quality, apparently. Higher quality cable has sounded better every time.

You should really like what that little Modi will do for you.
You may, ultimately, end up doing much as I do with mine.
A really nice all-rounder!

macs rule, btw.

cool.gif

The thing is that I use the M/M combo for my desktop, and I use the WA6 Meridian for the living room, so there too far away from each other. To use the Modi tomorrow night I'll have to take it into the living room. But I just want to hear how it sound with the WA6 as compared to what I'm used to hearing with the Meridian (not a critical test), just want to hear how they sound paired together. As far as having problems with the optical/USB, I've never had issues with the optical making noise, and I've been using the optical out from the Meridian for 20+years, but I did have a slight issue with the USB on the Modi, but it wasn't the cable, it was my cell phone being too close to the Modi which interfered with it, but then I plugged the MBP-M/M into a line enhancer/surge protector in my desk drawer and have my cell phone on the desk in the same spot with no issues at all anymore. 

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #13,403 of 65,796
Melvins just like bbophead said it's all about the music. My point was that the more different music formats you listen to. The better the chance you have of not only running across really good recordings but mainly you will discover really good music witch is the point after all.

Dude I absolutely agree. Hence why I collect records and listen to new music daily. The music itself far outweighs any of your equipment. But that's the beauty of what.cd. Their attention to detail in acquiring good recordings/good rips of vinyl/cd's. Idk. I just know that I'm really digging listening to all this FLac/320. Especially to albums that I've been in love with forever. I feel like I'm picking up on details that I've missed since now. 

Apr 1, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #13,404 of 65,796
  The thing is that I use the M/M combo for my desktop, and I use the WA6 Meridian for the living room, so there too far away from each other. To use the Modi tomorrow night I'll have to take it into the living room. But I just want to hear how it sound with the WA6 as compared to what I'm used to hearing with the Meridian (not a critical test), just want to hear how they sound paired together. As far as having problems with the optical/USB, I've never had issues with the optical making noise, and I've been using the optical out from the Meridian for 20+years, but I did have a slight issue with the USB on the Modi, but it wasn't the cable, it was my cell phone being too close to the Modi which interfered with it, but then I plugged the MBP-M/M into a line enhancer/surge protector in my desk drawer and have my cell phone on the desk in the same spot with no issues at all anymore. 

Everytime I hear people talk about the Modi I'm always hearing about how much they love their DAC! I brought up earlier in this thread (or maybe another thread) about how I feel like my fiio e10 could be upgraded, and that I could replace it with the Modi. But then I gathered back a lot of responses telling me that it wouldnt really be an upgrade at all. that they are pretty much the same, as far as the sound they produce.

has anyone been able to compare the fiio e10 vs. Schiit audio's Modi? preferably with a pair of Grados...lol...

Apr 1, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #13,405 of 65,796

Including the WooWa6...

smile.gif

Very interested to hear back on whether you like the LD1+ more or the EF2s.....

Apr 1, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #13,406 of 65,796
Interesting, I don't find the bass overpowering and the weight isn't bad at all. I find them more comfortable than my 325s and a lot more comfortable than the HE400. Also I was very pleasantly surprised how good the LCD2s sounded amped with "just" an E10. I have to do more listening but I think I prefer the E10 over the WA6 with the LCD2.

I have my eyes on the Hifiman 560i, also.........I may wait for awhile after they come out, just to get a good feel for what amps produce the best synergy and to see if they may be any revisions......but I definitely see them in my future.

Apr 1, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #13,407 of 65,796
Hey guys, just made a thread on this but figured it wouldnt hurt to copy and paste my question here...thanks!

Hey guys,

So I was reminiscing on my old sr125i's that I had modified with wooden cups (that I've since sold), and I'm really thinking that I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger and get some new wooden cups to put on my 325i's. I'm sort of out of the loop so who/what companies still are making wooden shells? I'm an unemployed college student so ideally I would like to pay as little as possible, whilst still maintaining quality work/wood. I remember I only had to pay Bilavideo 50 bucks for his BEAUTIFUL cocobolo shells for my 125i. Not only did it pretty it up but man oh man it add a discernible warmth/intimateness that certainly wasn't there before. I highly doubt I can pay anyone 50$ for a pair of wooden shells nowadays but...maybe! Thanks guys. Look foreword on hearing your replies.

Feel free to PM me as well.

Melvins 

Apr 1, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #13,408 of 65,796

I thought the 325s were very uncomfy, but when you go wooden grados and feel their comfort, there's no getting away from it.

Apr 1, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #13,409 of 65,796
  I think what he's saying is that it's SAFE to come out of the closet and go cruisin', OPENLY sporting our Audeezers and Sennies, and not be all a-skeert of a bashing incident.

Sometimes it's okay to go clubbin'.......

biggrin.gif

we can "come out of the closet" as they say ! lol

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #13,410 of 65,796
tuesday just as bad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back