Grado Fan Club!
Mar 31, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #13,366 of 66,262
  Just got some S-Cush pads in the mail. and I gotta say, huge upgrade over the L-Cush for me. Much for comfortable (the drivers aren't rubbing right against my ears), and I think the sound is better too, I like the slight dampening.  Maybe I'll try the quarter mod at some point, but for now, I'm happy.

Which Grado are you using?

Mar 31, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #13,368 of 66,262
  SR225i's in lapacho wood cups.

Side note, I have a Pailiccs 3.5mm connector from here on the way because I want to wire my Grados to 3.5mm, but I'm worried the srock cable won't be able to fit in the connector. Anyone try this plug?

Why not simply use an adapter?

I found the S-Cushs to distort the sound of middle/higher end Grados. 

Mar 31, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #13,369 of 66,262
The thing that I love about Grado's is that they let me get lost in the music. I hardly ever get into really thinking too much when listening. Everything just sounds "right" with them. Some are obviously more refined but they all seem to be about getting that "real" live sound. I got my RS1's last year and I love them. I also went overboard and got a GS1000 and I have to say, I love the sound that comes from as well. All Grado's amaze me at the volume you can play them and they still sound fantastic. I purchased the HF-2's when they were released and I have contemplated many times selling them. I put them up, don't listen for a month, and then I will say to myself "let me listen again and see if I like them enough to keep and every time the answer is, " Good grief these sound good!" I haven't heard the PS500 but from what I have read they are very similar. I have never heard a headphone do the piano better, it does many things well and some things not as well, but the piano is always just exactly right, at least to my ears. To me, Grado makes headphones that are able to get the "live" sound of real instruments playing. On another note, I appreciate that this thread stays civil compared to others on Head Fi, even if we don't agree on everything
gs1000.gif

Mar 31, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #13,370 of 66,262
Just got some S-Cush pads in the mail. and I gotta say, huge upgrade over the L-Cush for me. Much for comfortable (the drivers aren't rubbing right against my ears), and I think the sound is better too, I like the slight dampening.  Maybe I'll try the quarter mod at some point, but for now, I'm happy.

Interesting! If you dig the S Kush, you should try the yellow HD 414 pads. Same sounds, more comfort especially when quarter modded.

Mar 31, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #13,371 of 66,262
the s-cush are the comfies right?  there's too many different names for all the pads LOL

i've abandoned my tape modding and now trying the L-bowls reversed...sounds a lot like the comfies to me but some slight differences, surprisingly not uncomfortable.  i know some people are regular reverse bowl users

Mar 31, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #13,372 of 66,262
  Why not simply use an adapter?

I found the S-Cushs to distort the sound of middle/higher end Grados. 

I find it easier to adapt 3.5mm to 1/4" than the other way around. I also like the look of that Pailiccs connector!

If the S-Cushs are distorting the sound, than I like the way they distort it. I might try the quarter mod though.
Interesting! If you dig the S Kush, you should try the yellow HD 414 pads. Same sounds, more comfort especially when quarter modded.

I was gonna go with those, the yellow kept me away though. The Grado ones are plenty comfy though, especially compared to the L-cush.
  the s-cush are the comfies right?  there's too many different names for all the pads LOL

i've abandoned my tape modding and now trying the L-bowls reversed...sounds a lot like the comfies to me but some slight differences, surprisingly not uncomfortable.  i know some people are regular reverse bowl users

I was gonna try the reverse bowl, I just don't see how they fit on backwards without ripping.

Mar 31, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #13,373 of 66,262
OK, hold on. I just did the quarter-mod to my comfy pads, and this is the best for me. Still very comfortable, but the sound has opened up a bit and sounds more bowl-like. I'm gonna keep playing with it, but I think this is where I'm gonna stay.

Mar 31, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #13,374 of 66,262
Why the Grados in that order?
Did you hear the 80's afterward and preferred their sound too the other Grados? 

I wanted a more portable headphone that I could just plug into my phone, sit in a Starbucks, read a mag or do some work, and chill.

I keep it Grado. I strayed with the Audez-e's and my dislike for them gets me killed on this forum... So we will leave it at that haha

I'm in the Grado thread. I'm safe I hope.

Mar 31, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #13,376 of 66,262
I wanted a more portable headphone that I could just plug into my phone, sit in a Starbucks, read a mag or do some work, and chill.

I keep it Grado. I strayed with the Audez-e's and my dislike for them gets me killed on this forum... So we will leave it at that haha

I'm in the Grado thread. I'm safe I hope.

Plenty of planar folk like me don't like Audeze very much. You are not alone!

Mar 31, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #13,377 of 66,262
My first expensive can was the LCD-2.  Never want to go there again.  Yeah, and I took some crap for that.

Mar 31, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #13,380 of 66,262
I am sure a lot of you know this already, but i got burned on this recently so I thought I'd post this. I won't go into any names, but I found a web site that sold flac downloads of lots of albums. At first I thought it was great, they had lots of selection and the prices were just outstanding...actually too outstanding as we shall find out. Anyway I downloaded 2 or 3 albums and started listening to them. I almost immediately thought to myself, man those don't sound very good, they don't sound any better than my MP3's . I logged back in and did some more browsing and found there were certain albums that cost quite a bit more than the ones I had downloaded, so I started digging into the details of these albums to see why. As you probably have guessed by now, the reason those other albums sounded just like my MP3's, was because they were MP3's, just converted to flac format. The reason the other downloads cost more is because they were real flac copies of the cd. The real clue was when I started looking at the bitrate of the files and saw the cheap files were low bitrate and the more expensive ones were much higher bitrate. Lesson here is just because it says flac does not mean anything as to the quality of the music you are getting. I for one, have learned my lesson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back