Grado Fan Club!
Mar 30, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #13,351 of 66,263
I'll own Grados for life. I've owned akg k44(useless), sennheiser 598s, sr80s, 125s, 325s, rs2s, Lcd2s and now gs1000is are on the way.

I don't want them to get wildly popular. I like where they are now.

Mar 30, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #13,352 of 66,263
bbopheadOf course the MUSIC is what it's all about. I've talked before about how even the hum of a Marshall amp can be part of the magic of the music that takes me to the unruly creativity of a Neil Young concert. Just like a Strateverius impacted the music of it's century the cured mahogany in our Grados are doing the same for us. Technology just helps us enjoy and experience music just like the acoustics of the Paris opera house. But I agree 100% good is just good and in my book Santana Soul Sacrifice at Woodstock was a good as any of the masters(and that drummer was the only one in the same class as Ginger Baker) and didn't think it could be matched until I heard Beth Hart and Joe Bonemasa in Hynm or strange fruit. And yes it doesn't make Chopin any less good.

Mar 31, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #13,353 of 66,263
  Congrats, Evan! As a happy PS500 owner I know exactly how you feel. And, for what it's worth I started with the SR60s, too. I wish I still had them because I remember them so fondly, but I guess the 500s will have to do...

Enjoy! 

Thanks so much! I'm a couple days in and still loving them :) Curious... are you using them with and amp / dac? I've already read some about using an amp or dac with Grados. I have an Audioengine D1 and I'm actually thinking the details in the highs seem better straight out of my mac mini or iPhone. Kind of odd. Any thoughts on that?

Mar 31, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #13,354 of 66,263

Thanks so much! I'm a couple days in and still loving them :) Curious... are you using them with and amp / dac? I've already read some about using an amp or dac with Grados. I have an Audioengine D1 and I'm actually thinking the details in the highs seem better straight out of my mac mini or iPhone. Kind of odd. Any thoughts on that?

Maybe the Audioengine D-1's lower/mid frequencies are drowning out the detail/clarity in the higher frequencies, than the Mac Mini/iPhone, which the PS500 doesn't lack in these areas (as far as I've read). I found this with my 325is's, they sounded better out of the Schiit Magni/Modi and my Sony Cd players than they did out of my Adcom GFP-710 pre-amp's headphone out. The lower/mid frequencies were drowning the detail/clarity, they actually sounded terrible. 

Mar 31, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #13,355 of 66,263

Maybe the Audioengine D-1's lower/mid frequencies are drowning out the detail/clarity in the higher frequencies, than the Mac Mini/iPhone, which the PS500 doesn't lack in these areas (as far as I've read). I found this with my 325is's, they sounded better out of the Schiit Magni/Modi and my Sony Cd players than they did out of my Adcom GFP-710 pre-amp's headphone out. The lower/mid frequencies were drowning the detail/clarity, they actually sounded terrible. 

That's interesting. I have a Magni/Modi stack on the way to try out. I'll see what the differences are with that.

Mar 31, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #13,358 of 66,263
My system is done now, I just ordered a Bifrost Uber to go with the Lyr. Got that particular model just because of that..it goes with the Lyr. I also like the upgradeable part of it too. I don't know of too many other dacs that have that. Thanks again Jay for steering me down this road, I have never enjoyed my music as much as I do now.

Mar 31, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #13,359 of 66,263
  My system is done now, I just ordered a Bifrost Uber to go with the Lyr. Got that particular model just because of that..it goes with the Lyr. I also like the upgradeable part of it too. I don't know of too many other dacs that have that. Thanks again Jay for steering me down this road, I have never enjoyed my music as much as I do now.

Congrats on your whole set-up.....very nice

Mar 31, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #13,360 of 66,263
I'm so bumed I got out bid on a little dot amp with russian tubes. It does make me however appreciate it more when I have to save up a little longer.

What tubes were they? Voshkod's are amazing. 

Anyone here a member of What.cd? Just curious. You guys started discussing Flac and things and I've been downloading a lot recently due to my newfound interested in What.cd. I'm not sure if I can directly tell a different in MP3's and FLAC but i feel like the more you just simply listen to Flac the more you start really getting into it's clarity/details. It's like a new pair of headphones. the way it sounds won't become immediately apparent. It will take a few listens.

Maybe that's just me. *shrugs*

Mar 31, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #13,361 of 66,263

you're quite welcome !

the uberfrost is amazing how close it somes in sound to the wadia 121 i have now
and the lyr just does so many things right for me, i'm sitting here with both the lyr and the mad on
and i can go between the two on the fly, they each have their on set of strengths, with no real weakness's
as far as i'm concerned.

Mar 31, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #13,362 of 66,263
[@]Melvins just like bbophead said it's all about the music. My point was that the more different music formats you listen to. The better the chance you have of not only running across really good recordings but mainly you will discover really good music witch is the point after all.

Mar 31, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #13,365 of 66,263
Just got some S-Cush pads in the mail. and I gotta say, huge upgrade over the L-Cush for me. Much for comfortable (the drivers aren't rubbing right against my ears), and I think the sound is better too, I like the slight dampening.  Maybe I'll try the quarter mod at some point, but for now, I'm happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back